[Q] Developer Edition and Updates

Search This thread

I_EAT_BABIES

Dec 30, 2011
San Diego
Hey all,

Sorry for the extremely basic question, I have just been away from Android and flashing ROMs for so long I forgot some really basic stuff. I have a Verizon developer edition with the bootloader unlocked and am currently on Eclipse 3.1.2. I kept getting a Verizon OTA notification and ignoring it, but the other night I accidentally pressed the update button. Now my device keeps rebooting into TWRP. I am kinda glad because I was putting off updating for way too long. So I have a few options as I understand it.

1) Use fastboot files to update to the latest version (4.4.4). I can't find developer edition SBFs (http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0), do I just use the standard Verizon version?

2) Restore the stock ROM backup I made with TWRP and just use the Verizon OTA.

Is there a downside to either one? Is either one inherently better?

Thanks in advance guys, my life has been pretty heavy recently and I can't believe I lost this basic knowledge.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Hey all,

Sorry for the extremely basic question, I have just been away from Android and flashing ROMs for so long I forgot some really basic stuff. I have a Verizon developer edition with the bootloader unlocked and am currently on Eclipse 3.1.2. I kept getting a Verizon OTA notification and ignoring it, but the other night I accidentally pressed the update button. Now my device keeps rebooting into TWRP. I am kinda glad because I was putting off updating for way too long. So I have a few options as I understand it.

1) Use fastboot files to update to the latest version (4.4.4). I can't find developer edition SBFs (http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0), do I just use the standard Verizon version?

Thanks in advance guys, my life has been pretty heavy recently and I can't believe I lost this basic knowledge.

There is nothing different about the Dev edition SBF vs. the regular XT1060 SBF. Use the standard Verizon version.

Definitely use Option 1. You are at risk of bricking if you choose option 2.

Normally, I would say just SKIP the command "fastboot erase userdata" (to preserve all of your data and apps), but since you are on a custom ROM, you may have issues. You can try it anyways -- if anything goes wrong, just flash the entire SBF again, INCLUDING the fastboot erase userdata command (which will erase everything) and all well be well.

Make sure you use mfastboot instead of regular fastboot.

Reactions: I_EAT_BABIES

I_EAT_BABIES

Dec 30, 2011
San Diego
There is nothing different about the Dev edition SBF vs. the regular XT1060 SBF. Use the standard Verizon version.

Normally, I would say just SKIP the command "fastboot erase userdata" (to preserve all of your data and apps), but since you are on a custom ROM, you may have issues. You can try it anyways -- if anything goes wrong, just flash the entire SBF again, INCLUDING the fastboot erase userdata command (which will erase everything) and all well be well.

Thanks man! I was going to use RSD for the SBF files, is that not a good idea?

I_EAT_BABIES

Dec 30, 2011
San Diego
Perfectly fine...but it will erase everything.

Unless, of course you unzip the SBF, edit the XML file with notepad (or similar) and remove the entire line that says "erase userdata".

Hmm, I think I'll just leave it in there and get a perfectly clean install. Thanks for the help man, I cam back in to my room to restore to my old backup and read your response. You potentially saved me from bricking my advice. Thanks!

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Hmm, I think I'll just leave it in there and get a perfectly clean install. Thanks for the help man, I cam back in to my room to restore to my old backup and read your response. You potentially saved me from bricking my advice. Thanks!

You are welcome. A few other thoughts: the potential to brick only comes if either the bootloader or partition table are mismatched. This can happen during a failed OTA install.

In addition to that, even if you DID restore the twrp backup successfully, you still couldn't take the OTA. Remember: STOCK recovery is required to accept any OTAs. It would have continued to boot-loop.

Once you finish with RSD Lite, just use fastboot to flash custom recovery back on. Use the latest version of TWRP, find it here: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/ghost

Just: fastboot flash recovery twrp_file_name.img

Then, IMMEDIATELY afterwards, type: fastboot reboot-bootloader

Next, VOL DOWN to highlight recovery, and VOL UP to boot into it.

If you don't immediately boot into TWRP after flashing it, it won't "stick" (we don't know why...but as long as you do this, it will stick permanently, or until you flash something else to recovery).

As you probably already know, as soon as you go to exit TWRP it will offer to root for you.

Good Luck! Update us to success.

P.S. -- Sent you a PM.

onepoint

Nov 28, 2007
I tried this with the VZW imgs and now I get the unlocked bootloader warning. I don't recall getting that before, thoughts?

I assume it's because the imgs are not developer edition ones.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
I tried this with the VZW imgs and now I get the unlocked bootloader warning. I don't recall getting that before, thoughts?

I assume it's because the imgs are not developer edition ones.

Nope, it's not. Likely, you had flashed a new logo.bin that "masked" the unlocked bootloader warning. Once again, the images are no different. Not one single byte different. None.

If you dislike (I like it, personally) the unlocked BL message, simply flash a replacement logo.bin.

See here for details: http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/4-4-3-remove-unlocked-bootloader-message-t2548566

I realize that it says it is for 4.4.3, but it should be fully compatible with 4.4.4 as well.

And one more time: EVEN THE DEV EDITION shows the "unlocked bootloader message" when unlocked. Completely normal. Only flashing a replacement logo.bin will prevent it from showing up.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all,

Thanks man! I was going to use RSD for the SBF files, is that not a good idea?

Perfectly fine...but it will erase everything.

Unless, of course you unzip the SBF, edit the XML file with notepad (or similar) and remove the entire line that says "erase userdata".