[MOD] dim capacitive buttons/leds | fixed | [9/3/12]

Search This thread

rsage

Jul 28, 2010
Flash this mod from custom recovery to dim the red capacitive buttons/leds (home, menu, back, search). This script doesn't change how or when the leds light up, it only controls the brightness when they do light up.

The install script has been fixed to set appropriate permissions - there should no longer be a need to manually set permissions after flashing.

This mod is not needed for ROM's which have this tweak working in Leedroid Tweaks.

Flash like you would flash any other zip. You shouldn't need to wipe cache or dalvik. Nandroid first to be safe. To uninstall, just delete the script from /system/etc/init.d with a root file explorer.

Requirements:
  • ROM with proper init.d support

Credit:

• fo0you for the idea
  • whoever originally created the script that fo0you posted that gave me the idea
  • Leedroid Tweaks app for being awesome and making me miss this tweak enough to create a script
  • Update: just found that someone already created something very similar to this in the EVO 3D forums (I think), so even though I did this on my own all credit to him for coming up with it first

* Note: The usual caveats apply - I'm not responsible for phone death, please nandroid before flashing, etc.

<------------------------------------------------ information below this line is now mostly obsolete ------------------------------------------------>

UPDATE: This is now flashable from recovery - download dimleds-signed.zip instead of dimleds.zip

For newer Sense 4 ROM's (like Newt's OnE XxX v3.2.1 and ViperRez), there is a minor problem which requires manual intervention. After flashing the zip, you have to use a file explorer to change permissions on the script file in /system/etc/init.d (change permissions to match the permissions of the other script files in the same directory). Alternatively, you can manually copy the script from the zip to /system/etc/init.d and change the permissions. I'll try to get a fixed version up soon.

NOTE: This is no longer needed for Bored's s4 ROM (as of v2.4/2.5)

This is a quick script I threw together to dim the capacitive buttons while running Newt's OnE XxX Sense 4.0 ROM (I'm currently using it on Bored's RezROM S4). I got the idea from another post in Newt's thread (by fo0you) about a script to toggle the capacitive buttons on or off. I prefer them on, but the default brightness is way too bright for me. If you want to toggle the lights on or completely off, get the script fo0you posted. If you just want to dim them, use this one.

This is only a temporary measure until the Leedroid Tweaks app is updated for Sense 4.0 ROMs (this tweak is included in Leedroid Tweaks). This tweak already works in Leedroid Tweaks on some Sense 4.0 ROMs (I think on Joel's BAMF S4 ROM, but I could be wrong), but not others (like Newt's), hence this script. Different Sense 4.0 ROMs seem to have different tweaks working for some reason.

The flashable zip copies a script to /system/etc/init.d

Installation:

1. Nandroid backup (did I mention that I take no responsibility if your phone implodes, explodes, or you lose data due to this tweak?)
  2. Copy dimleds-signed.zip to root of external SD card
  3. Reboot to recovery and flash like any other flashable zip
  4. Reboot from recovery
  5. New (only for newer Sense 4 ROM's): use a file explorer to change permissions on the script in /system/etc/init.d
  6. New (only for newer Sense 4 ROM's): reboot

If you want to remove the tweak, just delete the 50dimleds script from /system/etc/init.d/ and reboot. You have to use a file manager like ES File Explorer or Root Explorer to do this. The leds will be automatically reset to default brightness when you reboot.

Attachments

• dimleds-signed.zip
    155.5 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:

ruvort

Aug 4, 2010
Thank you very much for this

Sent from my HTC Rezound via Tapatalk
j8t1uvaAWRgTE.png

MyColorScreen

aalopez10

Sep 21, 2009
Does this work on the new Ivysaur Rom, anyone had jump n flash it n see if it works?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

zounduser

Mar 2, 2012
sioux falls SD
Just so u know, im on the most recent leaked firm... And ive tried this numerous times with no luck. I did have it working on my old setup which was previous ics leak, and the same rezrom.

sent from my rooted & s-off rezound using X-parent ics tapatalk 2

zounduser

Mar 2, 2012
sioux falls SD
+1 im on the newest pkmn sense 4.0 rom venasaur 3.0.0 with the newest firmware and its working 4 me!! Thanks again 4 this man!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Ronn Plae

rsage

Jul 28, 2010
I'm glad this is working for everybody - I'm currently using it on RezROM s4 v2.1. Would anyone find it helpful if I made a flashable version of this instead of just giving instructions for the manual install?

Reactions: B-Mod
C

cdexsw

Found this script earlier......I am using it with RezROM S4-2.1. It has been working great. Thanks for the script.

Rezound.....Tapa2

C

cdexsw

UPDATE: This is now flashable from recovery - download the dimleds-signed.zip instead of dimleds.zip

NOTE: For some reason the flashable version doesn't work until after the 2nd reboot (if anyone knows why, let me know, I gave up trying to figure it out)

maybe include a script to wipe dalvik and cache during the process but before the flash? or tell folks to do it first?

I wiped both before i flashed and worked on reboot.....but only tested this once might just be a fluke.

rsage

Jul 28, 2010
maybe include a script to wipe dalvik and cache during the process but before the flash? or tell folks to do it first?

I wiped both before i flashed and worked on reboot.....but only tested this once might just be a fluke.

Yeah I don't think wiping dalvik/cache should be necessary for a mod like this, but I tried it both ways (wiping and no wiping). It was the same for me either way, didn't really work right until the 2nd reboot. Must just be me.

adv1sory

Dec 2, 2011
Toronto
possibly add a soft flash feature? I currently have a Galaxy Note and there isn't a dev that can figure it out. Just wondering, since you were able to dim the captivate buttons, should be similar to tweaking the flash.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Flash this mod from custom recovery to dim the red capacitive buttons/leds (home, menu, back, search). This script doesn't change how or when the leds light up, it only controls the brightness when they do light up.

The install script has been fixed to set appropriate permissions - there should no longer be a need to manually set permissions after flashing.

This mod is not needed for ROM's which have this tweak working in Leedroid Tweaks.

Flash like you would flash any other zip. You shouldn't need to wipe cache or dalvik. Nandroid first to be safe. To uninstall, just delete the script from /system/etc/init.d with a root file explorer.

Requirements:
    • ROM with proper init.d support

Credit:

• fo0you for the idea
    • whoever originally created the script that fo0you posted that gave me the idea
    • Leedroid Tweaks app for being awesome and making me miss this tweak enough to create a script
    • Update: just found that someone already created something very similar to this in the EVO 3D forums (I think), so even though I did this on my own all credit to him for coming up with it first

* Note: The usual caveats apply - I'm not responsible for phone death, please nandroid before flashing, etc.

<------------------------------------------------ information below this line is now mostly obsolete ------------------------------------------------>

UPDATE: This is now flashable from recovery - download dimleds-signed.zip instead of dimleds.zip

For newer Sense 4 ROM's (like Newt's OnE XxX v3.2.1 and ViperRez), there is a minor problem which requires manual intervention. After flashing the zip, you have to use a file explorer to change permissions on the script file in /system/etc/init.d (change permissions to match the permissions of the other script files in the same directory). Alternatively, you can manually copy the script from the zip to /system/etc/init.d and change the permissions. I'll try to get a fixed version up soon.

NOTE: This is no longer needed for Bored's s4 ROM (as of v2.4/2.5)

This is a quick script I threw together to dim the capacitive buttons while running Newt's OnE XxX Sense 4.0 ROM (I'm currently using it on Bored's RezROM S4). I got the idea from another post in Newt's thread (by fo0you) about a script to toggle the capacitive buttons on or off. I prefer them on, but the default brightness is way too bright for me. If you want to toggle the lights on or completely off, get the script fo0you posted. If you just want to dim them, use this one.

This is only a temporary measure until the Leedroid Tweaks app is updated for Sense 4.0 ROMs (this tweak is included in Leedroid Tweaks). This tweak already works in Leedroid Tweaks on some Sense 4.0 ROMs (I think on Joel's BAMF S4 ROM, but I could be wrong), but not others (like Newt's), hence this script. Different Sense 4.0 ROMs seem to have different tweaks working for some reason.

The flashable zip copies a script to /system/etc/init.d

Installation:

1. Nandroid backup (did I mention that I take no responsibility if your phone implodes, explodes, or you lose data due to this tweak?)
    2. Copy dimleds-signed.zip to root of external SD card
    3. Reboot to recovery and flash like any other flashable zip
    4. Reboot from recovery
    5. New (only for newer Sense 4 ROM's): use a file explorer to change permissions on the script in /system/etc/init.d
    6. New (only for newer Sense 4 ROM's): reboot

If you want to remove the tweak, just delete the 50dimleds script from /system/etc/init.d/ and reboot. You have to use a file manager like ES File Explorer or Root Explorer to do this. The leds will be automatically reset to default brightness when you reboot.
    Uploaded new fixed zip and updated OP, should now work on any ROM with init.d support without needing to manually set permissions.
    Does this work on the new Ivysaur Rom, anyone had jump n flash it n see if it works?

Did u not read two posts above you ?

Sent from my Dinc... I mean Rezound
    Is there a way to set the led backlight to 0 so they never light up. I have not installed this, but just looking at this script there doesnt seem like a way. Infact, I am not even sure what the script does there is no obvious variable. It might appear after running the script I suppose.

Not sure what you mean, the dimleds script only has one real line of code in it:

Code:
    echo 2 > /sys/devices/platform/leds-pm8058/leds/button-backlight/currents

It writes the value "2" to the sys file "currents", which dims the leds as much as they can be dimmed without turning them off completely. Technically it's redirecting the output of "echo 2" (which is "2') to the sys file. If you modify the script to write "1" or "0" it may do what you're looking for, but I haven't tried that in a while and I'm not guaranteeing anything.

There are also apps on the market that will turn off the leds, like RootDim:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.pruss.superdim&feature=nav_result
    I believe it would, but you'd have to try. The mechanism that dims the lights should be the same no matter what ROM. The ROM would have to have init.d support though - that's key - so check with the ROM dev. If you flash it and it doesn't work (even after changing permissions on the script), you can simply delete it from /system/etc/init.d.

You may want to create a nandroid backup first so it'll be easier to roll back if there's a problem.

Works on AOKP M6. Have to fix the 50dimleds permissions after the flash though

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium