(Q) Any way to flash a rom without needing an FTF

Search This thread

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
As the title states, is there a way to flash a new rom without being tied down to a PC / laptop?

Bootloader's unlocked, rooted, it's strange how with this phone we're forced to stay locked down to a PC.

Have never flashed anything from the Original Dev section on this phone yet, would that be the same method as normal rom's like monx's and IHackers?

Cheers.

tomascus

Recognized Developer
Jun 5, 2012
Melbourne
huh? TFTs are for returning to stock ROM and/or kernel and baseband, custom ROMs come in ZIP files which are flashable in recovery. What I do is download the ROM zip on my phone and flash it straight after via recovery, no need for a computer at all.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
huh? TFTs are for returning to stock ROM and/or kernel and baseband, custom ROMs come in ZIP files which are flashable in recovery. What I do is download the ROM zip on my phone and flash it straight after via recovery, no need for a computer at all.

FTF's are not just for returning to stock, not at all, they're used to flash rom's too as the kernel and baseband needs to be flashed also.

Check out monx's thread, the instructions for install states to flash the rom and then without allowing a reboot, flash kernel and system (afaik)

Simply flashing the rom wouldn't be enough without flashing those files via flashtool.

What i'm trying to ascertain is do I have to do this every time as it's a pain in the backside.

Quote from Monx

LOCKED & UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER
BACKUP any critical data to microSD
Copy this rom zip package to microSD
Reboot in recovery, (do nandroid backup), do factory reset & install rom until finish
IGNORE RECOVERY INSTALLATION WARNING. SELECT NO & PROCEED AT THE END OF RECOVERY IF USING CWM RECOVERY
Skip (x) steps if u already running same base firmware with latest monxDIFIED base rom. Else, proceed.
(x) Turn off device. (Hold power button + vol up until vibrates 3 times) [or use recovery turn off device option, if any]
(x) Flash latest Sony's firmware (FTF) matching current latest monxDIFIED base rom using latest flashtools. UNCKECK all WIPE options and CHECK only SYSTEM & TA in EXCLUDE options.
(x) Disconnect USB cable & turn on phone. Done.

tomascus

Recognized Developer
Jun 5, 2012
Melbourne
Notice how I write "and/or kernel and baseband"? :p
FTF only necessary if changing bases, don't need to flash every time going from ROMs on same base.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dlads

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
FTF only necessary if changing bases, don't need to flash every time going from ROMs on same base.

Because you wouldn't be performing a full wipe right?

Thing is I would never do a dirty flash over another rom, you're asking for problems if you do, so in which case I'm guessing that I'd need to use an FTF file to replace the files needed that aren't flashed with the rom right?

Thanks by the way.

Reason i'm asking all this is because this is the first phone that i've had were i've needed to be tied down to a PC to flash a rom, it's a bit crap really.

tomascus

Recognized Developer
Jun 5, 2012
Melbourne

Thing is I would never do a dirty flash over another rom, you're asking for problems if you do, so in which case I'm guessing that I'd need to use an FTF file to replace the files needed that aren't flashed with the rom right?

Thanks by the way.

Reason i'm asking all this is because this is the first phone that i've had were i've needed to be tied down to a PC to flash a rom, it's a bit crap really.

I used to have the HTC One X which required the same trouble-some computer steps.

The kernel and baseband don't even get affected when you do a full wipe, they're separate from the system, data, and cache partitions which gets wiped. Basically the stripped FTF holds the stock kernel and baseband needed to get compatible mobile signal and this only needs to be done once moving from base to base.

Going to and from ROMs with same base:
1. Full wipe
2. Flash ROM

ps. some ROMs flash their own kernel during ROM install i.e iHackers.

Reactions: dlads

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
I used to have the HTC One X which required the same trouble-some computer steps.

The kernel and baseband don't even get affected when you do a full wipe, they're separate from the system, data, and cache partitions which gets wiped. Basically the stripped FTF holds the stock kernel and baseband needed to get compatible mobile signal and this only needs to be done once moving from base to base.

1. Full wipe
2. Flash ROM

Nice one m8, that's put an end to my misery, cheers for that, makes a lot of sense now, i wasn't aware of how Sony rom's were flashed, it's strange as the bootloader is unlocked? What more is needed lol.

As for the one x, that's the only HTC i skipped and glad i did apparently they had a lot of problems with flashing and stuff, S-OFF.

Anyway, thanks m8.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks by the way.

1. Full wipe
    2. Flash ROM