To Dev's: why not moving ALL non essential apps from the /system/app

Search This thread

Waza_Be

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 22, 2009
Hello all dev's,

I get really frustrated on most of the ROM's because I get always some applications that I cannot remove manually.

It can be a lot of applications in the "official Froyo+sense" ROM like plurk, Facebook, etc.. Amazon in CyanogenMod, or other stuffs in other ROMs.

Why the hell don't you automatically allow us to remove ALL non essential apps from the settings/applications/manage applications? I have seen that you are able to do that.

Is there a technological reason? Why do you move some applications and not all?

Is that a space matter? A performance or technological reason?

I feel really frustrated on each ROM because I have to always use "adb shell rm system/app/*.apk" and plug my device on the computer.

Please answer me.

Thanks.

Profete162

LBTaylor1984

Aug 22, 2005
London
Can't answer the question but good call.

personally I think all ROMS should come with Titanium backup and Rom Manager. but everything else should be user modifiable.

Profete162: you could open the zip prior to install and delete the apps you don't want then flash?

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
Exactly that - open the ZIP and remove what you don't want. It's the first thing I do with a new ROM and I also add what I do wanna use so it can't get deleted. Hell of a lot easier than adb

Waza_Be

Jul 22, 2009
Exactly that - open the ZIP and remove what you don't want. It's the first thing I do with a new ROM and I also add what I do wanna use so it can't get deleted. Hell of a lot easier than adb

Yes, but it took maybe 10 minuts for maybe 2.000 users of the ROM or more if the ROM is Cyanogen.

It's a waste of 20.000 minuts for the world.. and we have to do that on each update.flash lol

When the dev with it's experience have only 2 minuts maybe to do that.

I understand that that's not a really big problem and the dev's have a lot of things to keep in mind, baut may be a good suggestion I hope for the next ROMS

abc27

Apr 16, 2010
Yes, but it took maybe 10 minuts for maybe 2.000 users of the ROM or more if the ROM is Cyanogen.

It's a waste of 20.000 minuts for the world.. and we have to do that on each update.flash lol

When the dev with it's experience have only 2 minuts maybe to do that.

I understand that that's not a really big problem and the dev's have a lot of things to keep in mind, baut may be a good suggestion I hope for the next ROMS
The Devs have to cater for everyone. Some people need those apps and would ditch the ROM if they were removed. If you don't need them just open the zip and remove them. It's not as if it takes more than 2 minutes.

7pellc

Mar 14, 2010
Derby
To be fair, this post is just highlighting your laziness to open up an zip manager and press delete a few times. Dev's have to cater for everyone, not just you.

Waza_Be

Jul 22, 2009
To be fair, this post is just highlighting your laziness to open up an zip manager and press delete a few times. Dev's have to cater for everyone, not just you.

That's exactly why I ask to Move all the apps in the deletable section. So easier work for the dev's and no complain!!!
That's a request that would fit everyone!

Some people need those apps and would ditch the ROM if they were removed.

I want to delete them but allow to delete them. I think it's a fair question and you havn't understood the meaning of my request. I would like to add the possibility to remove them, just that.

I don't understand why question sound stupid to you!

The dev's are adding the old app2sd, spare parts, and some apps that it take 2 minuts to add too! So why my request is different from other?

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
That's exactly why I ask to Move all the apps in the deletable section. So easier work for the dev's and no complain!!!

I want to delete them but allow to delete them. I think it's a fair question and you havn't understood the meaning of my request. I would like to add the possibility to remove them, just that.

I don't understand why question sound stupid to you!

The dev's are adding the old app2sd, spare parts, and some apps that it take 2 minuts to add too! So why my request is different from other?

Those 'non essential' apps are essential to some of us. So why take them out??

It's so much easier to remove apps than it is to add them back in. Just remove them from the zip file as said if you don't like them before you flash.

And why the attitude? Questions that start 'Why the hell ...' and statements like 'I'm so frustrated ....' Mate - get a grip. Relax. It's a phone. You can remove the apps and if not just ignore them. :rolleyes:

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing

The issue is that moving it into a user partition is then consuming valuable application space, and the spare space in /system is then effectively wasted.

If it's an issue, why not delete the apps from the zip yourself and then post your stripped down ROM, saving 19990 minutes! :)

Regards,

Dave

Apr 19, 2010
Hello all dev's,

I get really frustrated on most of the ROM's because I get always some applications that I cannot remove manually.

It can be a lot of applications in the "official Froyo+sense" ROM like plurk, Facebook, etc.. Amazon in CyanogenMod, or other stuffs in other ROMs.

Why the hell don't you automatically allow us to remove ALL non essential apps from the settings/applications/manage applications? I have seen that you are able to do that.

You could always make your own roms, that way it would be catered to your needs :)

Waza_Be

Jul 22, 2009
You are right, " you have just to make your own ROM" is the universal solution.

Sorry for my question/request, I was just looking for a solution to make the Rom more open without adding stuff.

Sorry for my post and have a good day.

You can let it go through the "forgotten posts"

brumle80

Feb 4, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I understand your request and must agree to some extent, it would be nice to have the apps a place where we can choose wheter to keep or not without having to use usb/computer or per delete every zip :)
But ofc just the non essential ones :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
I understand your request and must agree to some extent, it would be nice to have the apps a place where we can choose wheter to keep or not without having to use usb/computer or per delete every zip :)
But ofc just the non essential ones :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

It's called a kitchen - MoDaCo's kitchens already do this.

Regards,

Dave

LeeDroid

Recognized Developer
Jan 13, 2007
Newton Aycliffe
www.leedroid.co.uk
Few little facts an reasons why,

The andoid system its self depends on a lot of apps that are and should be stored in /system.

We cannot modify /system easily as HTC Locked write access to the /system partition. (we only have partial root access, this is why you guys are having issues with titanium)

apk.s in /data cannot be odexed in the same way and would use twice as much space if stored in /data.

hope this gives you a better understanding.. Dont flame the Devs :D

Can we please get this thread closed...

Last edited:

jsoneng

Sep 12, 2008
Buangkok Green
Anyway u can check out my Rom? Lols. I should be always be releasing 2 version of the rom for all of my updates if time let me.. 1 full 1 bare minimum lite version rom.

Sent from my HTC Desire

Waza_Be

Jul 22, 2009
Few little facts an reasons why,

The andoid system its self depends on a lot of apps that are and should be stored in /system.

We cannot modify /system easily as HTC Locked write access to the /system partition. (we only have partial root access, this is why you guys are having issues with titanium)

apk.s in /data cannot be odexed in the same way and would use twice as much space if stored in /data.

hope this gives you a better understanding.. Dont flame the Devs :D

Can we please get this thread closed...

I would have been so happy if that was the first answer! Thank a lot for the information.

I hope that Plurk, Teeter, etc.. are not essential by the way :p

beidl

Apr 30, 2009
Vienna
fredl.me
If people demand it, I'll write an app to move files from data to system and backwards,
you'll basically be able to choose the app you want to move and then the phone reboots to recovery and moves the chosen apps to the destination you want it to be.
I even thought about odexing apps and removing the dex files from the apks.
So if people want it I'll probably start writing the code on sunday. ;)