Replaced Dell Streak Screen tonight.

Search This thread

refthemc

Jun 23, 2008
Southern California
My cousin and I went through the process of replacing the screen on his Streak tonight, the screen was so bad that it was blurry/shaky on one side and the other side was slowly being blacked out. In the end everything worked out perfectly, and my cousin is back to being one proud father, I mean streak owner.

2 Observations:
- The Phone is really only held together by Glue and Pressure. C'mon Dell...

Shoutouts:
- iFixit your awesome
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Dell-Streak-Teardown/3512/1
- ulfses your "Helpful Links/Tips" were in short, a Gold Mine.
http://android.modaco.com/content/d...co-com/322624/im-replacing-my-cracked-screen/
- eBay seller big_is your awesome as well, the part (Glass + LCD) did not take 2 months to get here like some other Hong Kong sellers, it was here in a week! (We're in Los Angeles, CA)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Mini-5-Tab...188706?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item5d2c3d88a2

Advice:
- iFixit didn't include this but the front of the screen (Gorilla Glass + LCD) literally detaches from the rest of the phone once the ribbons are unclipped, there is SO MUCH GLUE that you wouldn't realize it but it does. Also we used a box cutter to remove the Gorilla Glass from the LCD first, for us it was like slicing cake because we were merely slicing the glue that held it together on the edges. Once the Glass was off, removing the LCD from the phone was easy.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_20110219_200302.jpg
    IMG_20110219_200302.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 2,658
  • IMG_20110219_201246.jpg
    IMG_20110219_201246.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 2,317
  • IMG_20110219_203719.jpg
    IMG_20110219_203719.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 2,398
  • IMG_20110219_215345.jpg
    IMG_20110219_215345.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 2,218

stamosda

Jan 21, 2010
Hello to all!
Does none has bought this item from ebay?

'' cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Mini-5-Tabl...item5d2c3d88a2 ''

it's good item?it's original dell?

thanx!

seahorseman

Feb 3, 2011
When you placed the new LCD in the phone with the old Gorilla Glass, did you glue the 2 back together?
If so, what glue product did you use?

refthemc

Jun 23, 2008
Southern California
When you placed the new LCD in the phone with the old Gorilla Glass, did you glue the 2 back together?

The new LCD came with the New Gorilla glass piece already attached, its basically the whole screen including the glass. Double check with the seller your buying from before you purchase but the link posted in the original post should be adequate. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Dr Doppio

adonis_fiend

Aug 31, 2007
Hi, I ordered the dell streak screen on ebay, got it delivered yesterday. Opened my dell streak, replaced the old(broken) screen with the new one, but now my device isn't booting. When you switch it on, it shows dell logo and after that its just showing black screen. I have even tried factory resetting the device, but no use. What should I do now?

refthemc

Jun 23, 2008
Southern California
Hi, I ordered the dell streak screen on ebay, got it delivered yesterday. Opened my dell streak, replaced the old(broken) screen with the new one, but now my device isn't booting. When you switch it on, it shows dell logo and after that its just showing black screen. I have even tried factory resetting the device, but no use. What should I do now?

I would double check and make sure all the ribbons and clips were put back together correctly. They're so small it could get tricky, hope this helps!

adonis_fiend

Aug 31, 2007
I would double check and make sure all the ribbons and clips were put back together correctly. They're so small it could get tricky, hope this helps!

Hi, Thanks for replying, but I have checked all the cables. Everything is ok but again when I am powering on the device, it shows dell logo and after that the screen goes black.

stamosda

Jan 21, 2010
hi

Hi, Thanks for replying, but I have checked all the cables. Everything is ok but again when I am powering on the device, it shows dell logo and after that the screen goes black.

I had the same problem with my iphone! I replaced the screen and touch,the screen opens but stuck to the apple logo. The part to blame for this, was the touch digitizer.
When I disconnect the touch conector the phone start!See if your cell phone start without connecting the touch connector!

adonis_fiend

Aug 31, 2007
I had the same problem with my iphone! I replaced the screen and touch,the screen opens but stuck to the apple logo. The part to blame for this, was the touch digitizer.
When I disconnect the touch conector the phone start!See if your cell phone start without connecting the touch connector!

No dude...This also didn't solved my problem :(

fventura03

Jul 31, 2008

apple logo?? sounds like you had bigger issues, lol :D

refthemc

Jun 23, 2008
Southern California

If it shows the Dell logo I'm assuming the screen was installed correctly, maybe you took off the Internal SD card and forgot to put it back? I'm not sure but I would go from there. Maybe even try booting into recovery and go from there as well? Hope this helps.

lunixx

Mar 15, 2009
@all

please :)

how can me say witch function has the connector ( white 12 pin) by the left side of the SIM Card / SD Card ? (for better orientaion: a inductive coil with stamp : 1R0 on top is direct beside)

what is the symtome if the connector / ribboncable is damaged ?

thanks a lot

lunixx

so sorry i have no permisson to post img

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My cousin and I went through the process of replacing the screen on his Streak tonight, the screen was so bad that it was blurry/shaky on one side and the other side was slowly being blacked out. In the end everything worked out perfectly, and my cousin is back to being one proud father, I mean streak owner.

2 Observations:
    - The Phone is really only held together by Glue and Pressure. C'mon Dell...

Shoutouts:
    - iFixit your awesome
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Dell-Streak-Teardown/3512/1
    - ulfses your "Helpful Links/Tips" were in short, a Gold Mine.
    http://android.modaco.com/content/d...co-com/322624/im-replacing-my-cracked-screen/
    - eBay seller big_is your awesome as well, the part (Glass + LCD) did not take 2 months to get here like some other Hong Kong sellers, it was here in a week! (We're in Los Angeles, CA)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Mini-5-Tab...188706?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item5d2c3d88a2

Advice:
    - iFixit didn't include this but the front of the screen (Gorilla Glass + LCD) literally detaches from the rest of the phone once the ribbons are unclipped, there is SO MUCH GLUE that you wouldn't realize it but it does. Also we used a box cutter to remove the Gorilla Glass from the LCD first, for us it was like slicing cake because we were merely slicing the glue that held it together on the edges. Once the Glass was off, removing the LCD from the phone was easy.

Hope this helps!

The new LCD came with the New Gorilla glass piece already attached, its basically the whole screen including the glass. Double check with the seller your buying from before you purchase but the link posted in the original post should be adequate. Hope this helps.
    youtube.com/watch?v=vxcib-ricec
    For some more info on replacing your LCD have a look at this thread.

Guide for replacing the LCD
    .. .
    3. It was fun to see the internal microSD card, and how easy ot is to take it out. It will be interesting to know if one can replace it with a bigger capacity one, or if one can take it out to back up or modify the system by mounting the card on a Nix system (i.e. without having to root the Streak).
    . . .

See this thread at MoDaCo and this one at XDA.