[GUIDE] Possible FIX for the infamous eMMC problem..

Search This thread

Skanob

Feb 19, 2011
Perth
All Desire S users should know about the infamous error message:
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
this is the so called eMMC fried chip, etc.. This is actually the "cache" partition being corrupted..

I myself have already received this error NUMEROUS times when tinkering with my phone..

The fix..?

Here's my method:
1. remove the battery for 30secs to 1 minute and putting it back in

2. boot directly to your bootloader, then go to recovery

3. If you haven't received the errors, your cache will be formatted to EXT3, try formatting it to ext4 if need be

4. I wipe everything (all partitions) including dalvik cache and battery stat

5. flash your rom again, cross your fingers and hope for the best..
Based on experience: Even the RUUs will tell you to unplug your battery for 3secs if RUU had some problem.

Some additional info:
You should be able to change your recovery without any problem if your s-off or unlocked 2.xx.xx hboot s-on.

1. Get 4ext recovery.img

2. connect phone on fastboot

3. In cmd use these command to push the recovery image:

fastboot flash recovery D:\recovery.img (<- should be directory of 4ext recovery image)

fastboot reboot-bootloader

Now you should have 4ext recovery.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA App
And...
I do not think that you can use fastboot flash whatewer without an engineering bootloader (requires s-off) or push images with adb without su (requires rooting). This is the point of all the guides and tutorials around here...
You actually can.. Check my sig.. I have already flashed a stock recovery then back to 4EXT many times.. I am on OFFICIAL HBOOT from the 2.10.401.4 update..

flashing OFFICIAL RUUs prior to latest hboot didn't work for me as the HBOOT seems to be un-writable to old HBOOTs. I haven't tried revolutionary's 6.xx.xx HBOOT though..

I am on unrooted STOCK RUU when I tried to flash the update forcefully. HBOOT and RECOVERY got updated so got me stock on HTC logo (without the "quietly brilliant") means ROM is not booting.

That is the method I used to revive my phone.

Edit:
"Unlocking" my S-ON could've helped me..
Also..
Ok taking my words back :) And how do you did this? You flashed the Stock 2.10.401.4 ROM over you bricked phone and it worked? (overwritted the revolutionary hboot or which version was it before?).

To make the long story short:

I stupidly get the firmware.zip file inside the ota file. That file had the latest hboot, recovery, and others. I renamed it to the correct pgxxximg.zip (cant remember the correct filename, currently drinking :) ) to flash it from bootloader.

Everything went well. Everything inside the file updated the corresponding file/partition/image to my phone. Hence letting me be stuck to the "locked" hboot 2.xx.xx s-on. ROM wouldn't boot as I said.

Being on the "locked" state wouldn't allow me to flash anything on the phone as far as i can remember. While writing, it will say has its unsuccessful.

But "unlocking" the hboot let me flash the recovery.

Last edited:

Eclipse_Droid

Sep 9, 2011
Cambridge
cheers for this info. I myself have experienced this too after flashing new radio, but this is the message u also get when the partition table gets corrupted.

If that is the case then the method u provided will work, but fried emmc = no fix;)

Skanob

Feb 19, 2011
Perth
Had the same problem, but I couldnt even get into recovery.
This helped for me:

What you've done is exactly the same of my instruction on how to flash a recovery. That's another way as it is automatic. You just have to make sure your .zip passes the security check of bootloader if your on s-on, as far as i know.

balthasar

Oct 8, 2005
Istanbul
www.sokel.gen.tr
Solution found: New Hboot 2.00.0002
Didn't search threads good enough sorry...
Problem down solved!

-----------------------------------------------------
Not necessarily, you just need to unlock your hboot..

and...

How can we unlock hboot...

When I use HTCDev site, fastboot oem get_identifier_token returns with a Command not found Error...
Is there an another way to get this token, or...?

Last edited:
I ran the 1st method when I've changed and tested some roms (on 2.3.3) without knowing that this was a possibility to resolve this problem.
3. If you haven't received the errors, your cache will be formatted to EXT3, try formatting it to ext4 if need be

I put more all my partitions on Ext4 (except sdcard ;) )
Since I don't have this problem anymore :cool:

opumps

May 12, 2011

this is the so called eMMC fried chip, etc.. This is actually the "cache" partition being corrupted..

I myself have already received this error NUMEROUS times when tinkering with my phone...

my friend, did u try:

Code:
dmesg | grep mmc0

and what's the output?

like this:

Code:
mmc0: failed to get card ready
mmc0: reinit card
mmc0: Starting deferred resume
mmc0: Deferred resume failed

or maybe u never got these error-magic-infamous-$60costs-strings, lol.
well, im kidding. xD

zilexa

Sep 14, 2010
How do you format to ext4?
The steps don't explain how I can do this. I already have pushed Recovery using the post #3 method, and I formatted and reset everything. But then Recovery doesn't allow me to reboot or turn off the phone (I get a black screen with a pictogram and then it goes back to Recovery).

So I still have to format to ext4 but how?

BTW I tried RUU 1.47 that worked, then I wanted to do RUU 2.10 and the phone hangs at white screen with green HTC. Thats how I ended up here in this topic trying to revive my girlfriends phone :S

So I can access Recovery now, and I reset everything. But still have the White screen. Also RUU can't find the phone, I suppose because the phone hangs at the white screen... any help is DEEPLY appreciated!

EDIT:
I installed this prerooted ROM (deodexed version cos people complained about issues with odex version):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1287797

And now I have Android 2.3.5 with Sense 3.0 fully working. Only it's not the newest rom (version .............4 instead of .............5) and it has old Market but it's better then having Android 2.3.3 and Sense 2.1 :)

EDIT2: after Android installed all my apps automatically, Market was also updated :D

Last edited:

allenteoh

Apr 4, 2010
Help!!!

my Desire S oso hav this problem eMMC fried chip:mad::mad:
and i use fastboot flash recovery.img oso cant:mad::mad:
Help me...Help me...PLS:(:(:(

Saipro

Sep 29, 2011
my Desire S oso hav this problem eMMC fried chip:mad::mad:
and i use fastboot flash recovery.img oso cant:mad::mad:
Help me...Help me...PLS:(:(:(

Damn! Wish I'd thoughg up a guide sooner. More initiative next time. Point is, I've been scared into near cardiac arrest a number of times based on guys here making me believe my chip was baked. Bounced back with no sequelae each time. Apparently, we over-diagnose this fried emmc chip of a thing. IIf you however have a truly Kentucky fried chip, as with most hardware errors, you'll need a hardware replacement. In this case, the chip. But only when all else has failed.

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
London, Colchester, Wivenhoe

shrome99

May 11, 2011
Chandigarh
Yes, but i saw that the OP of that thread is offering help on other devices (Evo 4G) too, so if anyone is willing to test, post there.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

maxpowermne

Dec 4, 2011
I repaired my bricked htc desire s in local service. It had emmc fried chip. They used tool for reprograming device or chip.
Repair costed me 15€ :D

|=>AmuzZ<=|

Jun 24, 2011
Moshi
can sombody please help me here
my desire s is not booting up stuck on HTC screen

Note: my phone is not Rooted
bootloader reads
SAGA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-0.98.0000
RADIO-38.03.02.11_M
eMMC-BOOT
MAR 10 2011,14:58:38

I have tried the following downloaded
RUU_Saga_HTC_Europe_1.28.401.1_Radio_20.28b.30.0805U_38.03.02.11_M_release_177977_signed
and
RUU_Saga_HTC_Europe_1.28.401.1_Radio_20.28b.30.0805U_38.03.02.11_M_release_177977_signed

tried running the ruu both get stuck on rebooting bootloader nothin happens

i extracted the rom.zip from the ruu and tried pushing the boot.img using adb but is says failed remote: signature verify fail

i renamed the rom to pg88img and put it on mmc rebooted phone in bootloader yet nthin

i downloaded the recvery img from above tried renaming t to pg88img andput in mmc again reboot yet nothin tried pushing it via adb same error signature verify fail

chk the bellow screen shot and please advise
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/8lsmy

8lsmy

|=>AmuzZ<=|

Jun 24, 2011
Moshi
is this the answer u are talking about

Boot to bootloader (power on while pressing VolDown).
Select FASTBOOT with volume buttons.
Press Power.
Connect USB. See that it says "fastboot usb".
Check that you can see the phone in fastboot mode ("fastboot devices" shows a device). If not - install fastboot drivers.
Run RUU.

well done all that too but doesn work
also tired fastboot devices yes i do get my device but wen i install the RUU it jus gets stuck on rebooting bootloader.

on a NOTE: wen i but into bootloader and scroll down to the option reboot bootloader and i select it my phone totally freezes nothin happen till i remove the battery.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

one more thing and my bootloader i don see on the top written
**LOCKED**
or
**UNLOCKED**

thats weird

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
    E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
    E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
    E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
    E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

I myself have already received this error NUMEROUS times when tinkering with my phone..

The fix..?

Here's my method:

Based on experience: Even the RUUs will tell you to unplug your battery for 3secs if RUU had some problem.

Some additional info:
    You should be able to change your recovery without any problem if your s-off or unlocked 2.xx.xx hboot s-on.

1. Get 4ext recovery.img

2. connect phone on fastboot

3. In cmd use these command to push the recovery image:

fastboot flash recovery D:\recovery.img (<- should be directory of 4ext recovery image)

fastboot reboot-bootloader

Now you should have 4ext recovery.

And...
    I do not think that you can use fastboot flash whatewer without an engineering bootloader (requires s-off) or push images with adb without su (requires rooting). This is the point of all the guides and tutorials around here...
    You actually can.. Check my sig.. I have already flashed a stock recovery then back to 4EXT many times.. I am on OFFICIAL HBOOT from the 2.10.401.4 update..

flashing OFFICIAL RUUs prior to latest hboot didn't work for me as the HBOOT seems to be un-writable to old HBOOTs. I haven't tried revolutionary's 6.xx.xx HBOOT though..

I am on unrooted STOCK RUU when I tried to flash the update forcefully. HBOOT and RECOVERY got updated so got me stock on HTC logo (without the "quietly brilliant") means ROM is not booting.

That is the method I used to revive my phone.

Edit:
    "Unlocking" my S-ON could've helped me..
    Also..
    Ok taking my words back :) And how do you did this? You flashed the Stock 2.10.401.4 ROM over you bricked phone and it worked? (overwritted the revolutionary hboot or which version was it before?).

To make the long story short:

I stupidly get the firmware.zip file inside the ota file. That file had the latest hboot, recovery, and others. I renamed it to the correct pgxxximg.zip (cant remember the correct filename, currently drinking :) ) to flash it from bootloader.

Everything went well. Everything inside the file updated the corresponding file/partition/image to my phone. Hence letting me be stuck to the "locked" hboot 2.xx.xx s-on. ROM wouldn't boot as I said.

Being on the "locked" state wouldn't allow me to flash anything on the phone as far as i can remember. While writing, it will say has its unsuccessful.

But "unlocking" the hboot let me flash the recovery.

OMFG, this is a solution for eMMC fries on G2 (desire Z) - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1572924 Anyone wanna test on Saga?
    This look promissing.

Since my bricked DS is S-On do I need a gold card?

Not necessarily, you just need to unlock your hboot..
    Your bootloader partition is also corrupted.
    That means, your phone is dead.

Sorry but that is just not true...

so theres nothin i can do?

Hey man what logic makes you think that flashing an EUROPEAN RUU while you live and probably bought your phone in Tansania will solve your problem?

Connect the phone to a PC (you have to setup fastboot command and have the HTC drivers installed also - check the guide in my signature)

then open command prompt /cmd/ on your PC and type:
    Code:
    fastboot getvar version-main

the output will be a number like 1.28.401.1
    Search in the RUU thread for the one with the same number, or at least the same third group (like 401 in the example). Download and flash this and hopefully if the battery pull didn't destroyed your eMMC your phone will be stock again.
    Also as additional verification you can check the CID also:
    Code:
    fastboot getvar cidnum
    If you are branded the output will contain something like T-MOB... or VODAF...

The procedure to revert to stock is described in details in the other guide in my signature (about the eMMC issue) you may want to read that too.

Good luck