blank screen - Launcher not resopnding

Search This thread

hp13

Feb 17, 2011
Toronto
Google Pixel XL
Hi all,

For past few days i have been getting the strange issue. When i turn on my phone nothing would come and only black screen would show up. Then after few seconds i get message saying "launcher is not responding"...

I have tried both stock and nova launcher but same issue. I reflashed stock rom again and still same problem.

My Rom: ICS 4.0.2 Stock and stock kernel.

I want to keep stock rom so what is the solution? Why does this happen? Thanks

beekay201

Nov 8, 2010
Hi all,

For past few days i have been getting the strange issue. When i turn on my phone nothing would come and only black screen would show up. Then after few seconds i get message saying "launcher is not responding"...

I have tried both stock and nova launcher but same issue. I reflashed stock rom again and still same problem.

did you at any point between flashes, factory reseted the device?
did you try clearing app data/cache?

concerning nova launcher, you should post this under its related thread
concerning stock launcher, you should try and reach android-platform@google groups

people flash all kinds of stuff but one ANR (application not responding) comes along and all hell breaks loose. get adb logcat when you're booting up/entering Android UI.

Reactions: hp13

beekay201

Nov 8, 2010
i can't wipe data or cache as i have stock recovery.I don't have CWM. i will upload the logcat soon. Thanks

if you press up (or up+power) on stock recovery, it will give you a recovery menu if i'm not mistaken (i may not recall it correctly).
and i was talking about the app data/cache that you clear in Settings > Apps as well, not just the ones in recovery.

shawn.ee

Apr 11, 2012
Launcher not Responding

I'm getting a similar problem with my new Galaxy Nexus. I'm running stock ICS 4.0.1, kernel 3.0.1 on the bell mobility network. I've installed a few apps, but nothing which seems too unpopular. Here is the list I had installed when the launcher was performing flawlessly:

Swype Keyboard
Draw Free
Bell Mobile TV
Volume+

Here's what I've installed recently since launcher has become unstable:

Flashlight v. 1.3.0
TED
Sudoku Free

Here's whats been installed since:

Tip n Split
Antivirus Free
RealCalc

Quite regularly I am getting the "Launcher is not responding" message with a request to wait, report, or close the launcher. The home screen will lock up temporarily and none of the buttons will become usable. I've checked the ram usage, and it is holding at around 400mb. Clearing a bunch of apps from the cache or running screen does not change the frequency of freezes. I have also tried resetting the Nexus to factory defaults without any new apps, but it only took about an hour before I got the 'Launcher is not responding' message.

Anyone have any ideas for re-stabilizing ICS?

Thanks!

amonfog

Sep 30, 2009
Sundsvall
www.picoreclame.nl
There is a part in the logcat talking about a channel that is unrecoverably broken... seems 1 of the fc's, power outage or something else left a file half written in your system.
Try performing a factory reset (which will wipe all userdata and give you a clean system)

if this doesn't work and you've had your phone unlocked reflash the system, boot and recovery again (using fastboot) (how to do that is explained here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1391881 )

If you have not tempered wit the system in any way (not rooted, no custom roms and no custom recovery) send it back to the store and get it fixed under warranty. When you can't or don't want to contact your seller proceed with reflashing your system at your own risk.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

did you at any point between flashes, factory reseted the device?
    did you try clearing app data/cache?

concerning nova launcher, you should post this under its related thread
    concerning stock launcher, you should try and reach android-platform@google groups

people flash all kinds of stuff but one ANR (application not responding) comes along and all hell breaks loose. get adb logcat when you're booting up/entering Android UI.