Nexus 10: Why did you get it?

Search This thread

Rebel908

May 5, 2011
Norwalk, CA
Deciding between and N10 and N7, and I am torn.

Nexus 7
+ Smaller/More portable
+ Zippy Tegra 3
- 720p screen

Nexus 10
+ Insane Resolution
- Dual Core

That's all I really know about both devices. I have 2 friends with N7's and I really like the form factor, A LOT. But something about the N7 just doesn't sell me on it. Likewise, the N10 seems to be something I'm more familiar with, but the price tag seems like a bit much for me, considering I've never managed to see one in retail.

All opinions appreciated*

*unless its rude and snarky

styckx

Sep 15, 2010

Nexus 7
+ Smaller/More portable
+ Zippy Tegra 3
- 720p screen

Nexus 10
+ Insane Resolution
- Dual Core

That's all I really know about both devices. I have 2 friends with N7's and I really like the form factor, A LOT. But something about the N7 just doesn't sell me on it. Likewise, the N10 seems to be something I'm more familiar with, but the price tag seems like a bit much for me, considering I've never managed to see one in retail.

I've purchased the Nexus 7 twice, and I've sold it twice. The first time I sold it was when I purchased the Nexus 10... Then I re-purchased it a month later because I missed the small form factor for when I was out of the house. I then return it 7 days later (yesterday) when I jumped ship to T-Mobile and upgraded my Nexus S to the Nexus 4. The Nexus 4 made the Nexus 7 a redundant piece of technology and also out performs it by a large margin.

The Nexus 7 is a great piece of equipment for the price.. I will give you the pros and cons..

Cons
* - Audio quality via the headphones is awful. There are a ton of apps claiming to make your headphones vomit rainbows and unicorns but those types of app packages I steer clear from as I don't believe in them as from past experience they never work. DAC matters not the app.
* - I/O speeds are slow.. You can see a side by side comparison I posted of the read/write speeds between the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 here. It can be slower to load apps/games than you might expect a tablet to perform. It's not bad, but compared to other devices it's noticable.
* - Color reproduction isn't the best.
* - (opinion) The Tegra 3 I wasn't impressed with.
* - No rear facing camera

Pros
* - Size: If you have no other tablet or a Smartphone with a large LCD like a Nexus 4 or GS3 then this will be a great portable device for you to get stuff done with.
* - Price: Currently what you get for the price is a good bargin. The longer its on the market though the slimmer this "good bargin" edge becomes and inches closer to being just another tablet on the market in a price range. It's still a great bang for the buck though and not much competes with it.. Yet...

Nexus 7 is exactly what it was aimed to be.. A good performing tablet on above average hardware for the price. You miss out on things like high i/o speeds and a rear camera but you have to give some things up for the $249 price tag.

Nexus 10

Cons
* - Same bad color reproduction the Nexus 7 had.. It's not a deal breaker but it's obvious.
* - The general consensus is don't buy them from Google directly. Find a retailer as it will make returns easier if it's defective.. Some believe the N10s have a high defect rate, some believe they don't.. It's currently the elephant in the room in the N10 forums. I wouldn't let it keep you from buying one but just be aware the concern exists.
* - Size.. It's 10 inches.. Some people think that this will never be a concern for them.. Until they get it and try making it a part of their daily schedule.. It's not meant to be throw in your pocket and carry around as a day planner.. It's big
* - You can't play Tegra HD games
* - It ain't cheap

Pros
* - Speed.. Speed.. Speed.. Mother of god is it fast
* - Resolution speaks for itself.. The screen is incredible
* - Battery life considering the pixels and speed the processor is putting out is fantastic. I average 8-10hrs of screen on time with non-gaming casual use.
* - Audio quality is excellent.. Woflson DAC on board.. No need for magic pills and As Seen On TV products to make it reproduce audio at high quality. The onboard speaker quality is really good also.
* - Gaming performance is excellent and far out performs the N7

Summary.. It depends.. If you plan on upgrading your phone (no idea what you have) soon I would go the Nexus 10.. Like I said.. Soon as I got my hands on a Nexus 4 the Nexus 7 became instantly redundant and outdated. The only thing sacrificed was 2.3 inches of screen but I gained ten fold in performance, screen quality and audio quality...

Last edited:

midgetzombiekiller

Feb 8, 2012
The Colony,Texas
I've purchased the Nexus 7 twice, and I've sold it twice. The first time I sold it was when I purchased the Nexus 10... Then I re-purchased it a month later because I missed the small form factor for when I was out of the house. I then return it 7 days later (yesterday) when I jumped ship to T-Mobile and upgraded my Nexus S to the Nexus 4. The Nexus 4 made the Nexus 7 a redundant piece of technology and also out performs it by a large margin.

The Nexus 7 is a great piece of equipment for the price.. I will give you the pros and cons..

Cons
* - Audio quality via the headphones is awful. There are a ton of apps claiming to make your headphones vomit rainbows and unicorns but those types of app packages I steer clear from as I don't believe in them as from past experience they never work. DAC matters not the app.
* - I/O speeds are slow.. You can see a side by side comparison I posted of the read/write speeds between the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 here. It can be slower to load apps/games than you might expect a tablet to perform. It's not bad, but compared to other devices it's noticable.

Pros
* - Size: If you have no other tablet or a Smartphone with a large LCD like a Nexus 4 or GS3 then this will be a great portable device for you to get stuff done with.
* - Price: Currently what you get for the price is a good bargin. The longer its on the market though the slimmer this "good bargin" edge becomes and inches closer to being just another tablet on the market in a price range. It's still a great bang for the buck though and not much competes with it.. Yet...

Nexus 7 is exactly what it was aimed to be.. A good performing tablet on above average hardware for the price. You miss out on things like high i/o speeds and a rear camera but you have to give some things up for the $249 price tag.

Nexus 10

Cons
* - Same bad color reproduction the Nexus 7 had.. It's not a deal breaker but it's obvious.
* - The general consensus is don't buy them from Google directly. Find a retailer as it will make returns easier if it's defective.. Some believe the N10s have a high defect rate, some believe they don't.. It's currently the elephant in the room in the N10 forums. I wouldn't let it keep you from buying one but just be aware the concern exists.
* - Size.. It's 10 inches.. Some people think that this will never be a concern for them.. Until they get it and try making it a part of their daily schedule.. It's not meant to be throw in your pocket and carry around as a day planner.. It's big
* - It ain't cheap

Pros
* - Battery life considering the pixels and speed the processor is putting out is fantastic. I average 8-10hrs of screen on time with non-gaming casual use.
* - Audio quality is excellent.. Woflson DAC on board.. No need for magic pills and As Seen On TV products to make it reproduce audio at high quality. The onboard speaker quality is really good also.

Summary.. It depends.. If you plan on upgrading your phone (no idea what you have) soon I would go the Nexus 10.. Like I said.. Soon as I got my hands on a Nexus 4 the Nexus 7 became instantly redundant and outdated. The only thing sacrificed was 2.3 inches of screen but I gained ten fold in performance, screen quality and audio quality...

Well said and helped me make my decision! Nexus 10 it is! :good::good:

bee55

May 11, 2010
I'd only add one thing: the Tegra 3 in the Nexus 7 absolutely gets destroyed by the Exynos 5 in the N10. Even though the Exynos 5 is dual core, it's based on the newer A15 architecture which is a huge jump in performance, so the core count doesn't really matter in this case.

Scythe024

Nov 14, 2011
i bought the nexus 7 day 1, It was a awesome little tab and ran great until 4.2.1. New update smoothed it out a bit. It's nice, but I also have a Note 2 and the jump to the tab wasnt big enough. I still used it, but i just wasnt completly happy having both. I bought the Nexus 10 last week and love it. Its fast, great resolution, great camera and doesnt feel too big for me when im laying in bed which was my main concern. I actually booted up my N7 last night and just holding it i kept thinking "what is this a tablet for ants?". It's funny considering I dont get that feeling with the note 2, but then again its probably because i know its a phone not a tablet.

I'd say it depends what your phone is. If you have a iphone or something with a smaller screen, you might want to go for the N7, if its something in the bigger end near 5" or more, go with the N10

Grimthorr

Dec 27, 2012
England, UK
hughesbox.co.uk
I went for the 10 over the 7 because I have a Galaxy S3 for portability and wanted a larger screen to use about the house. Oh and the specs of the 10 simply blew me away :D.

Last edited:

altimax98

Nov 7, 2008
Florida

Cons

Pros

Nexus 10

Cons
* - It ain't cheap

Pros

Thanks for saving me all that typing lol... that's exactly why I have a10 now. My wife has the Nexus 7. Between the I/O speeds and premium feel its a no brainer. I have two managers at work who are getting then after seeing mine. One even returned his 2 day old iPad4 because it was no comparison. Also not to be over looked are the front speakers. You never quite realize how bad cupping is to get decent sound is until you don't have to do it anymore.... pure perfection.

Jadefalkon

Nov 10, 2011
Thanks for saving me all that typing lol... that's exactly why I have a10 now. My wife has the Nexus 7. Between the I/O speeds and premium feel its a no brainer. I have two managers at work who are getting then after seeing mine. One even returned his 2 day old iPad4 because it was no comparison. Also not to be over looked are the front speakers. You never quite realize how bad cupping is to get decent sound is until you don't have to do it anymore.... pure perfection.

You are absolutely correct about the sound quality, I've given up on the Nexus 10 a few times after feeling it was impossible to get one without major issues but keep coming back after trying other devices. My favorite alternative was the Asus Vivotab Smart but the volume is extremely low and poor sounding which ultimately made me return it and try a few more nexus 10's the sound quality on this tablet is amazing compared to the rest.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
...My favorite alternative was the Asus Vivotab Smart but the volume is extremely low and poor sounding which ultimately made me return it and try a few more nexus 10's the sound quality on this tablet is amazing compared to the rest.
I was actually considering buying this tablet in the future, but hearing the various reports of audio volume, it doesn't sound too good.

NickTheMajin

Mar 6, 2012
I sold my iPad 3 for it because I thought Google had gotten it right this time. Big mistake. Significant downgrade.

filthygoat223996

Oct 4, 2012
Wait for Google I/O. They will probably release a new tablet of some sorts

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Currently the Nexus 10 is the best tablet on the market. So if you wait for a new tablet it's probably going to come out at the end of the year

Sent from my HTC Ruby using xda app-developers app

altimax98

Nov 7, 2008
Florida
I sold my iPad 3 for it because I thought Google had gotten it right this time. Big mistake. Significant downgrade.

How so?

Better screen resolution. Even The Verge said it was on par if-not better then the iPad4 screen.
More memory
Lower price
Significantly better sound quality from forward firing speakers

I had an iPad 3, dad has a 4. I sold mine for the Nexus 7 and then upgraded to the N10. I have two friends at work getting them as well, one of whom returned his iPad4 after 3 days for the N10.

Although I'm a Android lover I was a huge advocate for the iPad. It was a great device done right. But not so much anymore. Google did an amazing job on this device and I can no longer recommend an iPad, only the apps are better, but to be honest in the past 6 months the play store has jumped by leaps and bounds

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

NickTheMajin

Mar 6, 2012
How so?

Better screen resolution. Even The Verge said it was on par if-not better then the iPad4 screen.
More memory
Lower price

I had an iPad 3, dad has a 4. I sold mine for the Nexus 7 and then upgraded to the N10. I have two friends at work getting them as well, one of whom returned his iPad4 after 3 days for the N10.

Although I'm a Android lover I was a huge advocate for the iPad. It was a great device done right. But not so much anymore. Google did an amazing job on this device and I can no longer recommend an iPad, only the apps are better, but to be honest in the past 6 months the play store has jumped by leaps and bounds

Instability, Backlight bleed and battery life. Even on CM 10.1 I'm still getting random reboots everyday and 5 hours of screen on time. Compared to never rebooting and 12+ hours of screen on time. And I'd take the lower resolution over the 2560x1600 anyday if it meant zero backlight bleeding and much better performance.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I prefer Android. I'd just rather a cohesive and smooth experience like I have with my Note 2. If the Nexus 10 had that I would be stoked on it. But it doesn't. Gets the job done for now but I was happier with the iPad so I'll likely go back unless Samsung releases a Note 10.1 with retina quality display.

Edit Edit: I'm also not saying the iPad is objectively better because you can't say that about either. I'm just saying for my use, in my experience, the iPad was smoother and much more stable. No random reboots for me on it whereas on the Nexus 10 it would lock up all the time and the battery life was wonderful. You can say, "Oh you shouldn't use your tablet more than 5 hours a day anyway" but that's also assuming you are always in a location where you can charge it.

Last edited:

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
I get Nexus 10 as:
  • Insane resolution, the wording was extreme clear and sharp, far better than my laptop.
  • Smooth performance. In market, not much Android tablet was smooth as this, for current available android tablet, I only can accept Padfone 2.
  • It is not iOS, sorry iOS never my prefer OS due to it restriction and boring interface.

** Reboot/hang issue was fixed 99% now in 4.2.2, so I am ok with it. Anyway Google really need more stability build on it Android OS, as no doubt it still cannot compete with stability of iOS.

rp3

Mar 26, 2010
My N10 just arrived a week ago...

I've been all over the place... with 2 7" tablets, 2 7.7" tablets, 2 8.9" tablets and 2 10.1" tablets in the last year.

This month, I had the Kindle Fire 8.9... which at 250 is an amazing value for a media tablet with some android compatibility. I got tired of the KF89's limitations like the accelometer, having to lock rotation, lack of compatibility, difficulty in getting a CM rom and my own decision to buy the 16gb version. I decided to get the Galaxy Note 10.1 as it was the fastest Android tablet under $400 with removable memory. I was very unhappy with it from the hour I unboxed it and decided I was done beating around the bush.

I wanted to have a no-compromise Android tablet... and today that tablet is the Nexus 10 32GB. In a few months it will be a Exnos 5 quad, or a Tegra 4 or a Qualcomm 800... but today it's the Nexus 10. And in the near (18 month) future, the N10 will stay ahead of the curve in full-size rom development. It feels good... sounds good, looks good and works well.

Reactions: jonstrong

Jmen900

Jun 11, 2012
I would just buy the nexus 10 because of the screen size and use it to watch free/new/theater/ hd movies (I'm going to post the link to the app later in a new thread) but I dont know if the app would be compatible with the n10

Sent from my PantechP8000 using xda app-developers app

syraz

Jul 14, 2010
Portland
I didn't originally plan to buy it. Planned on getting the Nexus 7, but once I got to staples, it just seemed to small, Saw they had the N10 but not on display, So I took a shot in the dark since had 2 weeks to return it, but once I booted it I was hooked, I love the size, still fairly portable for me, I use it A LOT more than I expected and it does so much more then I could think of, I love taking it to work and playing Playstation games on it with ease, or SNES/NES games to just sitting back watching movies via plex/netflix. The screen is amazing even at half brightness everything looks beautiful. and of couse that darn tapped out game is just perfect for the big 10inch screen..I got the 32gb since all they had, and its way more than enough for this beast. Team it up with the Moko slim fit multiangle case. I am just VERY please with this purchase

Nebucatnetzer

Feb 4, 2011
I have currently a N4, a N7 and a TF700 which I sell for a N10.
I like them all for different tasks.

The N4 is my communication hub, my music player and the hot spot for my tablets. I use it often for small tasks like web search or navigation.

The N7 is my entertainment device for commuting because I can carry it in my jacket.

The TF700 is for reading PDFs (because some of them are not scalable so it's more comfortable on a large display) and longer browsing sessions on holiday or when I work abroad. And it works excellent for watching films.
However I'll exchange it for an N10 because of the performance. It drives me nuts that it is so much slower than my other two devices and because I would like to have a device with proper fastboot support.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Nexus 7
    + Smaller/More portable
    + Zippy Tegra 3
    - 720p screen

Nexus 10
    + Insane Resolution
    - Dual Core

Cons

Pros

Nexus 10

Cons
    * - It ain't cheap

Pros

How so?

More memory
    Lower price

It made me sexier.
    My N10 just arrived a week ago...

I've been all over the place... with 2 7" tablets, 2 7.7" tablets, 2 8.9" tablets and 2 10.1" tablets in the last year.

This month, I had the Kindle Fire 8.9... which at 250 is an amazing value for a media tablet with some android compatibility. I got tired of the KF89's limitations like the accelometer, having to lock rotation, lack of compatibility, difficulty in getting a CM rom and my own decision to buy the 16gb version. I decided to get the Galaxy Note 10.1 as it was the fastest Android tablet under $400 with removable memory. I was very unhappy with it from the hour I unboxed it and decided I was done beating around the bush.

I wanted to have a no-compromise Android tablet... and today that tablet is the Nexus 10 32GB. In a few months it will be a Exnos 5 quad, or a Tegra 4 or a Qualcomm 800... but today it's the Nexus 10. And in the near (18 month) future, the N10 will stay ahead of the curve in full-size rom development. It feels good... sounds good, looks good and works well.
    Got my Nexus 10 to replace my Acer A500. Wanted a tablet that would get updates. I miss a few things from the Acer, like a few things the Nexus 10 has.

Miss the Acer micro SD card and full size USB port.

Love the Nexus 10 front speakers and thinness.

Got a OTG cable, so extra memory and USB are OK now on the Nexus, not as nice as built in, but it works.