Xperia Z dead

Search This thread

masi0

Jan 27, 2008
Warsaw
My XZ died yesterday - I was not able to switch it on.
Pressing Vol+ and power helped and phone switched on again.

WTF? Anyone experienced similar issue?

waveloom

Sep 18, 2009
Rome
My XZ died yesterday - I was not able to switch it on.
Pressing Vol+ and power helped and phone switched on again.

WTF? Anyone experienced similar issue?

Yep. It happens when you switch it off and try to turn it on too quickly. Can be fixed with a cold reset, power + vol up.

Last edited:

masi0

Jan 27, 2008
Warsaw
I had Qualcomm Battery tool installed.
Now I have removed it so will see if the problem will reoccur

huball

Nov 29, 2006
Warsaw
It happened to me 2 times already. Both times when I was playing with some apps. It must be a software issue.
Mine SGS2 did that too, on some leaked firmware. Had to take out the battery, then.

MasK

May 15, 2005
Singapore
www.imraneo.com
I just encountered my 3rd instance of this problem... and it's bugging me!
The phone is "alive", but it does not notify you nor wake up. When you call it, there will be a ringing tone, but your phone will not sound nor wake up.

For my third instance, I had a message come in which I did not attend to. My phone died with the LED still blinking (via lightFlow).

So.. do you guys have lightFlow installed too?

Thaevil0ne

Jul 26, 2011
Indeed does not sound normal.
Fooled around quite a bit with my Z and did not run into these problems.
Perhaps sending it back while you still can would not be a bad idea.

Just make sure it is not an app causing this before doing so. :)

Kind regards, Stefan.

superpima

Mar 9, 2013
Xperia Z Dead

Bought my Xperia Z a week ago and was thrilled with it until it just died yesterday for no reason. Symptoms: battery has drained withing 6-7 hours after full charging, phone was quite hot although no heavy apps running. After full battery discharge it just simply would not charge or react to any action: power button, power button + volume up key: both do not work however long I press them. Dont know what to do, so frustrating!!. Do not want to switch back to iPhone....

Any ideas except than just returning it back (got it in Moscow, while I was travelling for a short trip, would need to travel all the way there again and not sure if they accept returns or exchanges...) ??

Thaevil0ne

Jul 26, 2011
Bought my Xperia Z a week ago and was thrilled with it until it just died yesterday for no reason. Symptoms: battery has drained withing 6-7 hours after full charging, phone was quite hot although no heavy apps running. After full battery discharge it just simply would not charge or react to any action: power button, power button + volume up key: both do not work however long I press them. Dont know what to do, so frustrating!!. Do not want to switch back to iPhone....

Any ideas except than just returning it back (got it in Moscow, while I was travelling for a short trip, would need to travel all the way there again and not sure if they accept returns or exchanges...) ??

I do not think you should discharge the battery 100%.
Infact, I always wait for it to go to 4% a 5% and then charge it.
Did so with my Xperia Play for almost 2 years and the battery seems to be ok still.

If you still can not turn on your phone:
- Plug in the AC adapter using the wall socket and wait for a while.
(I can remember reading somewhere that some devices refuse to charge via USB using your PC if the battery is 100% depleted.)

Hope this helps. :)

Kind regards, Stefan.

Last edited:

superpima

Mar 9, 2013
I do not think you should discharge the battery 100%.
Infact, I always wait for it to go to 4% a 5% and then charge it.
Did so with my Xperia Play for almost 2 years and the battery seems to be ok still.

If you still can not turn on your phone:
- Plug in the AC adapter using the wall socket and wait for a while.
(I can remember reading somewhere that some devices refuse to charge via USB if the battery is 100% depleted.)

Hope this helps. :)

Kind regards, Stefan.

It has been left there with charger for a couple of days now, used both original sony charger and some other mini-USB i have for a different phone - nothing happens unfortunately :(

Thaevil0ne

Jul 26, 2011
That is a serious bummer! :(

- Does the RED charging led go on when plugging in charger using wall socket?
- Sounds stupid, but did you try another wall socket and leave it to charge?

- Did you try to remove the USB cable from the wallsocket adapter and plug it back in?
(If the USB bit is not plugged in correctly it will not charge aswell, had this with my phone yesterday.)

Kind regards, Stefan.

Last edited:

superpima

Mar 9, 2013
That is a serious bummer! :(

- Does the RED charging led go on when plugging in charger using wall socket?
- Sounds stupid, but did you try another wall socket and leave it to charge?

- Did you try to remove the USB cable from the wallsocket adapter and plug it back in?
(If the USB bit is not plugged in correctly it will not charge aswell, had this with my phone yesterday.)

Kind regards, Stefan.

No, no lights go on, neither RED or any other colors. Charger is 100% fine - it charges a different phone (Samsung S8300) no problem. So it is defenately a problem with the phone.

Hyouchi

Jun 20, 2012
São João de Meriti
The Xperia U of my girlfriend had this same issue, and it's related to software. Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is return your phone and get another.
Because on this state, the phone doesn't even connect in flashmode or fastboot mode.

It seems to be some Sony problem, so my advice is that you don't leave your phone get 0℅ battery for the first months.

MasK

May 15, 2005
Singapore
www.imraneo.com
I seriously doubt this is related to the battery level being low.
Mine died 3 times and battery was close to full.

Hell.. the last time it died (this morning) was while it was charging in the dock!!
Sony ought to do something about this!

Here's a related post in Sony's post. Maybe make some noise there as well..?
http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/431175

cirrus888

Jan 26, 2009
Mine died 2 times within 2 days I got it. The sleeping error which can be solved by holding all buttons for 3 seconds. I then took it off stamina mode and hadn't had a problem so far 2 days later.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

OsiBasi

Nov 26, 2012

I don't think you have to go to Moscow. Go to the nearest Sony service center, and they'll repair or replace it. if it's unbranded you shouldn't have a problem at all. (Unless you've voided the warranty - box and papers are probably needed.

I did the same with my Arc S which I bought in Poland. (I live in sweden)

Last edited:

MasK

May 15, 2005
Singapore
www.imraneo.com
Mine died 2 times within 2 days I got it. The sleeping error which can be solved by holding all buttons for 3 seconds. I then took it off stamina mode and hadn't had a problem so far 2 days later.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

How do you know it's a solution? Not seeing the problem for the next 2 days doesn't mean much. I saw the problem after a gap of over 3 days.

And to revive it, just VolUp and Power button is enough.
Stamina? I've never used stamina before.. so you can rule that out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oh Dear, who said that, Xperia Z will not die after update of 4.3. My friend's phone is dead now thrice after updating the phone with 4.3 actually it didn't die with me before update, so i can say with my experience that the 4.3 is the problem or it had not solved the issue if it was existing before there.

I have no hope that Sony with its manufacturing plant in China can make such a phone that can be presumed to be water proof at all. They must take back themselves to Japan or somewhere else in the world.

I had an interest in Sony mobiles, which is now gone away i would still love Samsung, as they have no such major issues in their sets. Sony is a crap.

First, the post you quoted was over a year old.

Secondly, it does not even mention 4.3, being that 4.3 was not even released until 9 months after the post was written. It correctly states that firmware version 434 fixed the sleep of death bug that was present in the initial 350 firmware that the phone shipped with.

Finally, what has any of that got to do with the water resistance of the device and where it was manufactured?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
    fixed all my new Xperia Z phone issues today....i took it back and swapped it for a Galaxy S3:good: dont think i will be venturing into the world of sony mobiles again...
    Today I rooted a Xpera Z with very low battery (only a few percent), at the reboot the device didn´t turned on, only the LED was red. So I thought the battary was emty and i let it for a few minutest, but I wasn´t able tu turn it on. (PC recognized nothing). As I unplugged the device the the LED was still red an i still couldn´t turn it on. I tryed pressing power and, power + vol up (both for a half minute), but no reaction and the flashmode didn´t worked to. So I left in in this state and waitet till the battery was empty (till the LED turned off). I plugged power in but the same happened again, LED turned red, and the screen was black, no chance to turn it on.

Then I wanted to try it again (this time with the flash mode) and unplugged it again and wanted to wait again till the LED turns off, after a few minutes i had the idea to drain the batary faster if i connect my USB-Flash drive via USB-OTG and a few seconds after i connected the usb-flash drive the LED turned off, i Pressed the Power Button a few times and each time the led blinked. Then i plugged I connected it again to the PC an after a few seconds it turned on.
    I have the same problem ... can you tell me how did you fix it ? cuz no screen and no led at all even when charging means that I can't flash any software at all !!
    thx for helping

My phone was new(4days) ! so i went back to store and they gave me a new one....
    then when i get a new one...i was carefully so that it didn't shutdown...because of low battery or whatever...

then the software update was released which fixed the bug;)

so if you dont have the oldest one....buildnumber ending: .350
    then u dont have to worry about

hope i could help ;)
    Oh Dear, who said that, Xperia Z will not die after update of 4.3. My friend's phone is dead now thrice after updating the phone with 4.3 actually it didn't die with me before update, so i can say with my experience that the 4.3 is the problem or it had not solved the issue if it was existing before there.

I have no hope that Sony with its manufacturing plant in China can make such a phone that can be presumed to be water proof at all. They must take back themselves to Japan or somewhere else in the world.

I had an interest in Sony mobiles, which is now gone away i would still love Samsung, as they have no such major issues in their sets. Sony is a crap.

oSamsung had a few sudden death bugs too ;)