[Complete Guide] What is Odex and Deodex ROM?

Search This thread

Razvan

Retired Forum Moderator
What is an ODEX file?

In Android file system, applications come in packages with the extension .apk. These application packages, or APKs contain certain .odex files whose supposed function is to save space. These ‘odex’ files are actually collections of parts of an application that are optimized before booting. Doing so speeds up the boot process, as it preloads part of an application. On the other hand, it also makes hacking those applications difficult because a part of the coding has already been extracted to another location before execution.

What is an DEODEX file?

Deodexing is basically repackaging of these APKs in a certain way, such that they are reassembled into classes.dex files. By doing that, all pieces of an application package are put together back in one place, thus eliminating the worry of a modified APK conflicting with some separate odexed parts.

So, Deodexed ROMs (or APKs) have all their application packages put back together in one place, allowing for easy modification such as theming. Since no pieces of code are coming from any external location, custom ROMs or APKs are always deodexed to ensure integrity.

How this works?

For the majority noobs amongst us, Android OS uses a Java-based virtual machine called the Dalvik Virtual Machine. A deodexed or .dex file contains the cache used by this virtual machine (referred to as Dalvik-cache) for a program, and it is stored inside the APK. An .odex file, on the other hand, is an optimized version of this same .dex file that is stored next to the APK as opposed to inside it. Android applies this technique by default to all the system applications.

When an Android-based system is booting, the davlik cache for the Davlik VM is built using these .odex files, allowing the OS to learn in advance what applications will be loaded, and thus speeds up the booting process.

By deodexing these APKs, a developer actually puts the .odex files back inside their respective APK packages. Since all code is now contained within the APK itself, it becomes possible to modify any application package without conflicting with the operating system’s execution environment.

Advanteges & Disadvantages

The advantage of deodexing is in modification possibilities. This is most widely used in custom ROMs and themes. A developer building a custom ROM would almost always choose to deodex the ROM package first, since that would not only allow him to modify various APKs, but also leave room for post-install theming.

On the other hand, since the .odex files were supposed to quickly build the dalvik cache, removing them would mean longer initial boot times. However, this is true only for the first ever boot after deodexing, since the cache would still get built over time as applications are used. Longer boot times may only be seen again if the dalvik cache is wiped for some reason.

Note:Themes for android come in APKs too, and if you want to modify any of those, you should always choose a dedoexed custom ROM.

Last edited:

Razvan

Retired Forum Moderator
[Guide] What is Zipalign and how to make Apps zipaligned

What is Zipalign?

Zipalign is an archive alignment tool introduced first time with 1.6 Android SDK (Software Development Kit). It optimizes the way an Android application package (APK) is packaged. Doing so enables the Android operating system to interact with the application more efficiently, and hence has the potential to make the application and overall the whole system much faster. Execution time is minimized for zipaligned applications, resulting is lesser amount of RAM consumption when running the APK.

How does it exact work?

In an Android operating environment, data files stored in each application package are accessed by multiple processes, for example, the installer will read the data manifest to determine the associated permissions; the system server can read these resources for multiple reasons, like displaying notifications; the Home application, for example, will read resources to get the application’s name and icon. Since Android is based on a a true multi-tasking operating infrastructure, these files are continually and repeatedly accessed. Finally, but not least, the application itself reads the manifest data.

As Android is Linux-based, memory-mapping plays a key role in efficient handling of processes. Essentially, the optimal alignment for the Android OS’ resource-handling code is 4-byte boundaries. What this means is that, if APKs are memory-mapped to 4-byte boundaries, and aligned accordingly, the OS will not need to ‘read through’ the whole application package to get to the desired data manifest. Every system process will know in advance where to look for it’s desired resources, and hence will execute much smoother and faster.

Summing it up, zipaligning an APK results in all uncompressed data within the package to be aligned on 4-byte boundaries, allowing all portions to be accessed directly with the memory-map. RAM consumption is lowered while execution because the querying code doesn’t have to read through the entire application package.

Disavantages of unaligned APKs

Quite understandably, situation would be reserved for unaligned application packages. Resource reading would be slow and memory usage would be on the higher end of the spectrum. It would also depend on how many unaligned applications are present. For example, if less number of applications with an unaligned home application, you’d see slower application launch times. This is the best case scenario. For a worst case scenario, having a number of unaligned applications will result in the system repeatedly starting and killing processes, struggling with lags and huge battery drain.

How to make APKs zipaligned?

As mentioned earlier, the zipalign tool became a part of Android SDK from 1.6 onwards. It can be found under the ‘tools’ folder of the SDK. To use it, simply run the command:

zipalign [-f] [-v] <alignment> infile.apk outfile.apk
...where infile.apk is the source file, and outfile.apk is the output file.

You can also verify the alignment of an APK file using the following command:

zipalign -c -v <alignment> existing.apk
...where existing.apk can be any application package that you need to get verified. Also, the <alignment> tag in both the commands needs to be an integral value (otherwise the command will return invalid). This value, although can be any integer, MUST always be 4, which would provide 32-bit alignment. Any other value and it will effectively do nothing.

Finally, for the flags used in these commands,

-f - overwrites existing outfile.zip
-v - will give verbose output
-c - will confirm the alignment of a given file

CAUTION: Zipalign operation must only be performed after you have signed the APK file with your private key. If zipaligned before signing, the signing procedure will disturb the alignment. Same holds true for any other alteration, addition or removal to the APK file. Any change after running zipalign will undo the alignment.

Source: addictivetips

Razvan

Retired Forum Moderator
This materials are not created by me, I just searched and read carefully over the WWW in an attempt to bring as much informations to our forum S. Advance.
Only this was my job, along with the desire to know the phone held. :)

In my opinion, one thread with all the information is difficult to manage, because of that i'm so reluctant in what concerns for easy finding by members.

fredrickaein

Jun 3, 2013
Pune
Odex and Deodex

Hi,

I am a beginner in the android world and i have been trying to understand the android terms in detail. but i am still confused over the ODEX and DEODEX terms. I read you post but it still needs some more explanation of few things mentioned below.

Where is the .ODEX file stored in case of an ODEXED Rom?

Does the Dalvik Cache builds up in case the ROM in Deodexed. If yes then from where it fetches the required information?

Your post says that boot speed is increased in case of both the ODEX & DEODEX ROM after the first Boot. Then what is the exact difference between the two ROMS?

Does Dalvik Cache & DalviK VM independent whether the ROM is ODEX or DEODEX?

Presently my phone is ODEX (Stock ROM), once i DEODEX the ROM can i still install .APK files from Google Play or any other source?

Is tools which makes an APK ODEX or DEODEX part of the android operating system or should we make an APK Odexed or Deodexed using a laptop?

Please help me with the above questions.

What is an ODEX file?

In Android file system, applications come in packages with the extension .apk. These application packages, or APKs contain certain .odex files whose supposed function is to save space. These ‘odex’ files are actually collections of parts of an application that are optimized before booting. Doing so speeds up the boot process, as it preloads part of an application. On the other hand, it also makes hacking those applications difficult because a part of the coding has already been extracted to another location before execution.

What is an DEODEX file?

Deodexing is basically repackaging of these APKs in a certain way, such that they are reassembled into classes.dex files. By doing that, all pieces of an application package are put together back in one place, thus eliminating the worry of a modified APK conflicting with some separate odexed parts.

So, Deodexed ROMs (or APKs) have all their application packages put back together in one place, allowing for easy modification such as theming. Since no pieces of code are coming from any external location, custom ROMs or APKs are always deodexed to ensure integrity.

How this works?

For the majority noobs amongst us, Android OS uses a Java-based virtual machine called the Dalvik Virtual Machine. A deodexed or .dex file contains the cache used by this virtual machine (referred to as Dalvik-cache) for a program, and it is stored inside the APK. An .odex file, on the other hand, is an optimized version of this same .dex file that is stored next to the APK as opposed to inside it. Android applies this technique by default to all the system applications.

When an Android-based system is booting, the davlik cache for the Davlik VM is built using these .odex files, allowing the OS to learn in advance what applications will be loaded, and thus speeds up the booting process.

By deodexing these APKs, a developer actually puts the .odex files back inside their respective APK packages. Since all code is now contained within the APK itself, it becomes possible to modify any application package without conflicting with the operating system’s execution environment.

The advantage of deodexing is in modification possibilities. This is most widely used in custom ROMs and themes. A developer building a custom ROM would almost always choose to deodex the ROM package first, since that would not only allow him to modify various APKs, but also leave room for post-install theming.

On the other hand, since the .odex files were supposed to quickly build the dalvik cache, removing them would mean longer initial boot times. However, this is true only for the first ever boot after deodexing, since the cache would still get built over time as applications are used. Longer boot times may only be seen again if the dalvik cache is wiped for some reason.

Note:Themes for android come in APKs too, and if you want to modify any of those, you should always choose a dedoexed custom ROM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil_Armstrong_

Razvan

Retired Forum Moderator
1.Where is the .ODEX file stored in case of an ODEXED Rom?

2.Does the Dalvik Cache builds up in case the ROM in Deodexed. If yes then from where it fetches the required information?

3.Your post says that boot speed is increased in case of both the ODEX & DEODEX ROM after the first Boot. Then what is the exact difference between the two ROMS?

4.Does Dalvik Cache & DalviK VM independent whether the ROM is ODEX or DEODEX?

5.Presently my phone is ODEX (Stock ROM), once i DEODEX the ROM can i still install .APK files from Google Play or any other source?

6.Is tools which makes an APK ODEX or DEODEX part of the android operating system or should we make an APK Odexed or Deodexed using a laptop?

Some answers, I numbered your questions to be more easily tracked

1. In your /system

2. Android's Dalvik goes through every apk's and extracts the dex file from it. It places the dex files in the cache folder - located at /data/dalvik-cache. This is the directory that gets cleared when you clear the dalvik cache in your custom recovery like CWM or TWRP.

3. The difference is that deodexed ROMs are lighter and allow modifications but odexed ROMs load faster. ROMs come with Zipalign at boot that make a deodexed ROM load as fast as an odexed ROM.

4. I dont know the answer of this ... sorry.

5. Of course you can, is no reason to worry about.

6. You need android-sdk installed in your computer/laptop, busybox on the phone, xUltimate and some knowledge about whole process.

fredrickaein

Jun 3, 2013
Pune
Thanks a few more on odexed and deodexed ROM

Hi,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. But please bare with me as i am going to ask more questions:)

Firstly let me ask you some more queries related to the earlier questions

1 Which folder in my ROM. I have root access, so i would like to view the files.

2 got it. saw the directory where the delvik cache is stored, but in case of a deodexed rom does this happen? i mean does the system store the dalvik cache by going through the apk if the ROM is deodexed. in other words does dalvik cache exist for deodexed ROM?

3 why is the deodexed ROM lighter? is it because it stores the app info at one place?

4. actually the question is same as no 2 above, Will i see the delvik-cache folder anymore if i deodex my ROM? if no then does the zipalign provides necessary data for the dalvik VM?

5.Ok i understood this

6. the process you are talking about is how to deodex my ROM. So i guess once i try to deodex my ROM the process will convert all the odexed app in my phone to deodexed. and henceforth all the appliccation that i install will be installed as a deodexed app. am i right in my guess?

Now some more questions please

7. is the only difference between them is the fact that odexed rom stores the app in two places and deodexed rom stores as a single apk?

8. what exactly is the .ODEX dex file. Is it a full copy of the apk or only a part of the apk. i guess it is this .ODEX file that makes the odexed rom heavy while the deodexed rom doesnt contain a .ODEX file which makes it lighter

1. In your /system

2. Android's Dalvik goes through every apk's and extracts the dex file from it. It places the dex files in the cache folder - located at /data/dalvik-cache. This is the directory that gets cleared when you clear the dalvik cache in your custom recovery like CWM or TWRP.

3. The difference is that deodexed ROMs are lighter and allow modifications but odexed ROMs load faster. ROMs come with Zipalign at boot that make a deodexed ROM load as fast as an odexed ROM.

6. You need android-sdk installed in your computer/laptop, busybox on the phone, xUltimate and some knowledge about whole process.

Last edited:

Razvan

Retired Forum Moderator
My friend,
You ask too many questions and I do not think going somewhere after you have the answers. :)

So, lets start with ... :D
1.There is two place: I tell you in system/root ... search for directors -> data/app or system/app
2 Of course. Because of this the first start of a deodexed ROM is slower.
3 ... is it because it stores the app info at one place? I dont know for sure, but is one of the explanation. Lighter can also mean that the apk can be modified by Themers much easier without any risk.
4. Yes will see the folder, i just tell where is located from my phone when i answered before. :D And i have my ROM deodexed and zipalign :D
6. You are right.
7. Yes, and much easier to theme without risks
8. I guess is correct, dont know much about that

fredrickaein

Jun 3, 2013
Pune
present hipirch

Dear Razvan,

Thanks for the help. I am very curious in nature:), that why i bothered you so much.

Now please a last suggestion from you.

Shall i Deodex my Samsung Stock ROM? or go for already deodexed Pure Vanila or Jelly Bean LQB / SlimJB - Shaaan (Your Rom). please Suggest.

And also based on your experience, which Custom ROM you prefer for Galaxy S Advance (Just your Opinion )

My friend,
You ask too many questions and I do not think going somewhere after you have the answers. :)

So, lets start with ... :D
1.There is two place: I tell you in system/root ... search for directors -> data/app or system/app
2 Of course. Because of this the first start of a deodexed ROM is slower.
3 ... is it because it stores the app info at one place? I dont know for sure, but is one of the explanation. Lighter can also mean that the apk can be modified by Themers much easier without any risk.
4. Yes will see the folder, i just tell where is located from my phone when i answered before. :D And i have my ROM deodexed and zipalign :D
6. You are right.
7. Yes, and much easier to theme without risks
8. I guess is correct, dont know much about that

Last edited:

Razvan

Retired Forum Moderator
Do not you worry I did not mind. :highfive:
You can put a deodexed ROM, but only if you want to apply some themes or customization, otherwise there is no reason to do so.
Frankly, in terms of what ROM to install, I can not give any advice, because besides his SlimJB Shaaan, i did not try any custom ROM, but i'm waiting, in silence :D, Cyanogen ROM stable and then i can make a choice.

Good luck

fredrickaein

Jun 3, 2013
Pune
Yeah, I am also waiting for a stable 10.1 of cynogen. But how is the rom that you are using? How stable is it? I am also planing to try pure vanila till we have a stable release of cynogen. Anyways many thanks for the help.

Do not you worry I did not mind. :highfive:
You can put a deodexed ROM, but only if you want to apply some themes or customization, otherwise there is no reason to do so.
Frankly, in terms of what ROM to install, I can not give any advice, because besides his SlimJB Shaaan, i did not try any custom ROM, but i'm waiting, in silence :D, Cyanogen ROM stable and then i can make a choice.

Good luck

rdjl_13

Nov 6, 2009
Manila
Just a question. I am now on stock odex DXLSE with speedmod kernel. Can I flash on cwm the deodexed version of the same rom without wiping the data and without losing all of my files? Thanks. :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is an ODEX file?

What is an DEODEX file?

How this works?

[Guide] What is Zipalign and how to make Apps zipaligned

What is Zipalign?

Zipalign is an archive alignment tool introduced first time with 1.6 Android SDK (Software Development Kit). It optimizes the way an Android application package (APK) is packaged. Doing so enables the Android operating system to interact with the application more efficiently, and hence has the potential to make the application and overall the whole system much faster. Execution time is minimized for zipaligned applications, resulting is lesser amount of RAM consumption when running the APK.

How does it exact work?

In an Android operating environment, data files stored in each application package are accessed by multiple processes, for example, the installer will read the data manifest to determine the associated permissions; the system server can read these resources for multiple reasons, like displaying notifications; the Home application, for example, will read resources to get the application’s name and icon. Since Android is based on a a true multi-tasking operating infrastructure, these files are continually and repeatedly accessed. Finally, but not least, the application itself reads the manifest data.

As Android is Linux-based, memory-mapping plays a key role in efficient handling of processes. Essentially, the optimal alignment for the Android OS’ resource-handling code is 4-byte boundaries. What this means is that, if APKs are memory-mapped to 4-byte boundaries, and aligned accordingly, the OS will not need to ‘read through’ the whole application package to get to the desired data manifest. Every system process will know in advance where to look for it’s desired resources, and hence will execute much smoother and faster.

Summing it up, zipaligning an APK results in all uncompressed data within the package to be aligned on 4-byte boundaries, allowing all portions to be accessed directly with the memory-map. RAM consumption is lowered while execution because the querying code doesn’t have to read through the entire application package.

Disavantages of unaligned APKs

Quite understandably, situation would be reserved for unaligned application packages. Resource reading would be slow and memory usage would be on the higher end of the spectrum. It would also depend on how many unaligned applications are present. For example, if less number of applications with an unaligned home application, you’d see slower application launch times. This is the best case scenario. For a worst case scenario, having a number of unaligned applications will result in the system repeatedly starting and killing processes, struggling with lags and huge battery drain.

How to make APKs zipaligned?

As mentioned earlier, the zipalign tool became a part of Android SDK from 1.6 onwards. It can be found under the ‘tools’ folder of the SDK. To use it, simply run the command:

zipalign [-f] [-v] <alignment> infile.apk outfile.apk
    ...where infile.apk is the source file, and outfile.apk is the output file.

You can also verify the alignment of an APK file using the following command:

zipalign -c -v <alignment> existing.apk
    ...where existing.apk can be any application package that you need to get verified. Also, the <alignment> tag in both the commands needs to be an integral value (otherwise the command will return invalid). This value, although can be any integer, MUST always be 4, which would provide 32-bit alignment. Any other value and it will effectively do nothing.

Finally, for the flags used in these commands,

-f - overwrites existing outfile.zip
    -v - will give verbose output
    -c - will confirm the alignment of a given file

CAUTION: Zipalign operation must only be performed after you have signed the APK file with your private key. If zipaligned before signing, the signing procedure will disturb the alignment. Same holds true for any other alteration, addition or removal to the APK file. Any change after running zipalign will undo the alignment.

Source: addictivetips
    This materials are not created by me, I just searched and read carefully over the WWW in an attempt to bring as much informations to our forum S. Advance.
    Only this was my job, along with the desire to know the phone held. :)

In my opinion, one thread with all the information is difficult to manage, because of that i'm so reluctant in what concerns for easy finding by members.
    1.Where is the .ODEX file stored in case of an ODEXED Rom?

2.Does the Dalvik Cache builds up in case the ROM in Deodexed. If yes then from where it fetches the required information?

3.Your post says that boot speed is increased in case of both the ODEX & DEODEX ROM after the first Boot. Then what is the exact difference between the two ROMS?

4.Does Dalvik Cache & DalviK VM independent whether the ROM is ODEX or DEODEX?

5.Presently my phone is ODEX (Stock ROM), once i DEODEX the ROM can i still install .APK files from Google Play or any other source?

6.Is tools which makes an APK ODEX or DEODEX part of the android operating system or should we make an APK Odexed or Deodexed using a laptop?

1. In your /system