How to port a new kernel

Search This thread

TakisBeskos

Nov 16, 2009
Patra
Xiaomi Mi 5s
Redmi Note 8
Hi ,

I have and old msm7225 device , and development on xda has stopped . obviously everyone have bought a new phone ( me too ) , and nobody cares about it .

since i am not using it as my everyday phone , i want to bring a new kernel for it . It currently has a 2.6.32 kernel , and i want to port 2.6.35 or .38 .

i have some knowledge about kernels ,i have done some additions to the current kernel and i can fix most of the compilation errors that i will face ( i've tried it before ) , but i don't know what it needs to make it boot .

i don't expect a full working kernel , just boot and screen working , and then i'll start to fix the rest , one by one .

thnx

Red Devil

Oct 25, 2012
Mumbai
Hi ,

I have and old msm7225 device , and development on xda has stopped . obviously everyone have bought a new phone ( me too ) , and nobody cares about it .

since i am not using it as my everyday phone , i want to bring a new kernel for it . It currently has a 2.6.32 kernel , and i want to port 2.6.35 or .38 .

i have some knowledge about kernels ,i have done some additions to the current kernel and i can fix most of the compilation errors that i will face ( i've tried it before ) , but i don't know what it needs to make it boot .

i don't expect a full working kernel , just boot and screen working , and then i'll start to fix the rest , one by one .

thnx

For that you will have to patch your kernel upstream. Search for upstream patches of the specific kernel from CAF.. or some other devices must have patched it... who's source you may find on xda or on github.

If you are looking to port kernel 3.x.x .. then HTC Explorer ( which has Msm7225a ) also runs kernel 3.0.100 so you check out its kernel source that is probably the closest device you will get apart from HTC Golfu

There are no guides as such. Basic knowledge on C/C++ is required as well as good knowledge on the linux kernel and you will have to read in depth its documentation.

http://kernelnewbies.org/ is a good site to gain some knowledge on the subject. :)

TakisBeskos

Nov 16, 2009
Patra
Xiaomi Mi 5s
Redmi Note 8
For that you will have to patch your kernel upstream. Search for upstream patches of the specific kernel from CAF.. or some other devices must have patched it... who's source you may find on xda or on github.

If you are looking to port kernel 3.x.x .. then HTC Explorer ( which has Msm7225a ) also runs kernel 3.0.100 so you check out its kernel source that is probably the closest device you will get apart from HTC Golfu

There are no guides as such. Basic knowledge on C/C++ is required as well as good knowledge on the linux kernel and you will have to read in depth its documentation.

http://kernelnewbies.org/ is a good site to gain some knowledge on the subject. :)

htc explorer has msm7225a which is armV7 with adreno 200 . msm7225 is armv6 without gpu (like htc buzz which has 2.6.35 kernel ).

I am not a total noob in kernels , i can port some features and fix some problems on my existing kernel .

but i want to experiment , on new kernel

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi ,

thnx