Controller Sleep Logic?

Search This thread

vostok4

Aug 20, 2010
So out of curiousity, how does the controller decide when to sleep/wake up? It seems like every few minutes of inactivity (say I'm watching a movie and I want to turn down the volume) I need to long press the button in the middle to get the controller to turn on/pair, which all takes about 5-6s, which isn't always convenient (or say pause the movie if someone calls).

Is there a way to increase the timeout or turn it off completely via some software trick? I'm fine with running the batteries down, I will just recharge them when necessary.

Reactions: -=W4n73d=-

mherma

Jan 11, 2014
Wheatfield, IN
So out of curiousity, how does the controller decide when to sleep/wake up? It seems like every few minutes of inactivity (say I'm watching a movie and I want to turn down the volume) I need to long press the button in the middle to get the controller to turn on/pair, which all takes about 5-6s, which isn't always convenient (or say pause the movie if someone calls).

Is there a way to increase the timeout or turn it off completely via some software trick? I'm fine with running the batteries down, I will just recharge them when necessary.

You know, I was having the same issues until I figured something out. I don't believe the controller goes to sleep immediately even after 5 min of non-use. If I turn it on for the first time today, I have to long press like you described. But lets say I set it down and watch a show on netflix or listen to a song. Whether I set the controller down for 5 min, or 30 min, the next time I need to wake it up, all I have to do is press the home button once. Not a long press, a regular press - which in turn wakes it up. Now, If I don't use the controller again till the next day, it will need a long press...hope this helps.

It's like shortly after use it goes to sleep with an instant on feature, but after an extended period of time it shuts down.

Mad Catz Nate

Dec 30, 2013
www.madcatz.com
The CTRLR timeout is after about 2min of inactivity. If its gone to sleep, you can usually wake it up with single tap of Home button. If it doesn't wake up, you can do the press and hold Home button for 5 seconds to turn on.

Bonus tip: Press and hold Home button for 1 sec brings up the Recent Apps screen.

gwaldo

Dec 30, 2013
Melb.
xpcoin.com
Bonus tip: Press and hold Home button for 1 sec brings up the Recent Apps screen.

:good: It's a great feature, I use it a lot, even in gamesmart mode it works!
Shame you have to switch to mouse mode to select an app.. is there any chance of better navigating the android UI in gamesmart mode in the new Android 4.4? :D

Last edited:

-=W4n73d=-

Jan 9, 2014
@vostok4 thanks for the post
@mherma thanks for explaining how this works

I was doing long press every time I wanted to use the controller. Was getting frustrated with this and started to wonder if there was a way to disable sleep mode on the controller. The short press seems to work :D

It would still be nice if there was a way to customize how long you need to wait until the controller goes to sleep.

gwaldo

Dec 30, 2013
Melb.
xpcoin.com
@paulobrien,
I came across your review, Nice! ( http://www.modaco.com/topic/368609-review-mad-catz-mojo/ )

The controller switches itself into standby when not in use to save power, when the power / home button will glow red (it's normally blue). Switching the controller out of standby seems to be something of a black art, it doesn't 'wake up' as quick as I'd like, but after a few weeks of use i've got used to it.

The CTRLR timeout is after about 2min of inactivity. If its gone to sleep, you can usually wake it up with single tap of Home button. If it doesn't wake up, you can do the press and hold Home button for 5 seconds to turn on.

I keep the thumbscrew on my at all times, for fear of losing it to.
I agree about the mode switch being difficult at times.

For comparison purposes, a Nvidia Shield is currently £279.99, also on Amazon UK and shares pretty much the same internals but adds a screen. You'd probably want a HDMI cable to play it on your TV.
You'd need a bluetooth controller for that 'similar experience' :laugh:

They are similar experience, but how you get there is night and day.
Ie, Yeah, the shield has HDMI out, I have a hacked PSP with tv out, but I could never be bothered setting it up (A/V and power).
And the same with my tablet with HDMI out, did it a few times mostly for movies.

IMO, the mojo is convenient for TV topset box, desktop gaming and moga style gaming, all ready to go out of a single box (with exceptions lol).
Actually, I wrote on my blog about all the 2013 micro-consoles, and none were perfect out of the box experiences either.

Last edited:

gwaldo

Dec 30, 2013
Melb.
xpcoin.com

Hey, what does holding down start do?
I noticed it disables the controller for a while.
I was doing scorpions fatality on Mortal Kombat 1 on md.emu, block up, where block is start and the home light started flashing.
:confused:

Mad Catz Nate

Dec 30, 2013
www.madcatz.com
I was doing scorpions fatality on Mortal Kombat 1 on md.emu, block up, where block is start and the home light started flashing.

Holding the Start button for 5 seconds will have the Home button flash purple, clearing pairing for the CTRLR. It will then flash the usual red and blue, putting the CTRLR in Discovery Mode until it connects to a host. If the USB dongle is plugged in, it will usually immediately connect to that.

Otherwise, you can have it connect wirelessly to Bluetooth 4.0 PCs with Windows 8 (including the Microsoft Surface Pro) and Bluetooth 4.0 Android devices that have KitKat (like the Nexus 5 and 7). Just go into the device's Bluetooth settings and make sure the USB dongle is not plugged into anything.

For emus, I've been playing around with setting R3 as Start. Still trying to get used to it. :x Hope that helps!

Reactions: gwaldo

Mad Catz Nate

Dec 30, 2013
www.madcatz.com
Played around with L3 as Select and R3 as Start since Back button was usually the emu menu.... Unfortunately, didn't work out for me as I kept pressing L3 by accident whenever I was doing quick movements with the Left Analog. T_T

I've revised my control scheme to R3 as Select, and Start as the regular Start button now.

Mad Catz Rich

Dec 5, 2013
FWIW I usually just assign the Back button to the Select function - if I ever need to bring up the emulator menu I switch to mouse mode and click the back button in the soft menu bar.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You know, I was having the same issues until I figured something out. I don't believe the controller goes to sleep immediately even after 5 min of non-use. If I turn it on for the first time today, I have to long press like you described. But lets say I set it down and watch a show on netflix or listen to a song. Whether I set the controller down for 5 min, or 30 min, the next time I need to wake it up, all I have to do is press the home button once. Not a long press, a regular press - which in turn wakes it up. Now, If I don't use the controller again till the next day, it will need a long press...hope this helps.

It's like shortly after use it goes to sleep with an instant on feature, but after an extended period of time it shuts down.

Holding the Start button for 5 seconds will have the Home button flash purple, clearing pairing for the CTRLR. It will then flash the usual red and blue, putting the CTRLR in Discovery Mode until it connects to a host. If the USB dongle is plugged in, it will usually immediately connect to that.

Otherwise, you can have it connect wirelessly to Bluetooth 4.0 PCs with Windows 8 (including the Microsoft Surface Pro) and Bluetooth 4.0 Android devices that have KitKat (like the Nexus 5 and 7). Just go into the device's Bluetooth settings and make sure the USB dongle is not plugged into anything.

For emus, I've been playing around with setting R3 as Start. Still trying to get used to it. :x Hope that helps!