[Q] Help with Verizon SCH-I535 Phone to use on T-mobile

Search This thread

HackThisThing

Jan 14, 2014
Hey everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this,

So the story goes as so: After doing some research couple months ago about the capability of the Verizon Galaxy S3 to work on T-mobile, i purchased it, and got it to successfully work on T-mobile(texts, calls, wi-fi). The problem is, i just recently upgraded to include a data plan, and i cannot access the internet, despite taking my phone to my cell phone dealer and contacting T-mobile.T-mobile even sent me a guide to do a mastery reset to factory in hopes to solve this problem, only to tell me afterwards that the phone version SCH-I535 is a "verizon locked-software" and i won't be able to set up an APN to work on the T-mobile network. This was all due to the fact that i was not able to set up a APN for T-mobile, and every time i tried to access it through setting, it brought me to a blank black page with the only option of "Reset to Default". After reading other forums and talking with some people, many have suggested i take this issue to XDA to find a solution.

So, here i am.....Does anyone know if it is possible for me to break/root/ or whatever it is called so i can successfully access the t-mobile network on my phone? Preferably an easier guide since i am sort of a newbie at this sort of stuff.

Thanks again for reading.

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Before your Contract change, you were able to receive and make calls successfully with T-Mo Sim right ? Even now you can make calls too correct ? The reason I am asking this is to be able to check if you are really unlocked off of VZW. If you are not unlocked, then that would be the first step.

You are right, the APNs do drive Data Connection. If the stock firmware does not allow you to change APNs then you will have to root. Please post a screen of your Settings > About phone that shows your Rom Version, Baseband and Kernel.

HackThisThing

Jan 14, 2014
Before your Contract change, you were able to receive and make calls successfully with T-Mo Sim right ? Even now you can make calls too correct ? The reason I am asking this is to be able to check if you are really unlocked off of VZW. If you are not unlocked, then that would be the first step.

You are right, the APNs do drive Data Connection. If the stock firmware does not allow you to change APNs then you will have to root. Please post a screen of your Settings > About phone that shows your Rom Version, Baseband and Kernel.

Hey Perseus, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. I bought the phone in the summer off someone who had verizon. I have always had T-mobile, and considering this phone is GSM, i decided to buy it because it would probably work for T-mobile. I had the phone unlocked, and i am currently using it to make calls, texts, and even use wi-fi with no problem. The only problem at this time is that i recently added a data plan which i cannot currently use. Here is a screen shot of what you have requested.

Thanks again

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-16-15-15-54.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-16-15-15-54.png
    108.1 KB · Views: 711

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
First try

Settings > More > Mobile Networks > Preferred Network Type.See what it is set to. Change it to LTE/GSM/WCDMA if needed. See the other option System Select as well.

Also separately try the following.

Hit ##DATA# in the Dialer. In the subsequent Menu choose EDIT > OTHERS > LTE APN

If all fails, please Root the phone and then try. The way you go about is

1. Flash a Custom Recovery via Odin. Make sure the version of Custom recovery is for your model D2VZW not D2TMO.
2. Flash a SuperSU zip file via Recovery and then hit fix permissions in the recovery.

Try the APN Settings after that. IF you can actually access them, then set them according to this link.

If all the above fails, I'd suggest a custom Rom for d2VZW.

Last edited:

fdavila17

Feb 28, 2011
You will never get 4g trust me I had one... you will just get the E

Sent from my SGH-T999L using xda app-developers app

HackThisThing

Jan 14, 2014
Ok, so i tried to changed it to LTE and i got no service at all, so i switched it back to Global. I also tried the dialer thing several times, and got the " connection problem or invalid MMI code"

So i guess i am going to have to root the phone? Does anyone know a good video tutorial or written tutorial on how to safely do this? Also, what exactly is rooting?

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
Ok, so i tried to changed it to LTE and i got no service at all, so i switched it back to Global. I also tried the dialer thing several times, and got the " connection problem or invalid MMI code"

So i guess i am going to have to root the phone? Does anyone know a good video tutorial or written tutorial on how to safely do this? Also, what exactly is rooting?

You have to enable the mmi codes to use them. Anyway as stated above your reply you will never get 3g or 4g just edge (seen it personally) which is pretty darn slow.. Not worth it if you ask me and be paying for data.. If you still want to root it and keep trying to add sons check the Verizon forums.. They could probably help you a lot more than on this side of the forums

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Guys, he is not getting ANY data signal at all. His problem isn't getting the specific icon but being not able to change APNs.
@HackThisThing, you are better off following up on Verizon Device forum. That forum does have a video tutorial for Rooting. Here's forum link.

I don't think you will be able to change APNs without rooting. I checked with a buddy of mine who has the same device as you.

Here's a good answer to What is Rooting ?

Pennycake

Nov 20, 2012
Rupert
Even if you CAN fix it, why bother if you can only get 2G? I'd sell it or trade it for a phone that's more compatible with T-Mobile 's network instead of paying for data and only getting dial-up speeds. I get that solving problems is fun, but OP do you want to live with only 2G?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Reactions: serio22

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
I don't agree with that assessment. Just like the T999L phone, this device will work on LTE Bands just fine. OP just needs to wait for LTE to be rolled out in their area. There's a coverage map and roll out schedule on T-Mo website and the T-Mo News blog.

Pennycake

Nov 20, 2012
Rupert
It's worth a look, but could still leave them with patchy coverage. If it's going to be a while, why wait when it's not hard to just trade the phone? I guess I don't see a reason why hold out on getting a Verizon phone to work when you could just get one that works now with little to no monetary loss. It's just a Verizon S3, not really something worth "waiting" for when they could get the same thing but more functional on their network of choice.

They made an honest mistake and waiting might give them "good enough" service - but other than that they're stuck with dial up speed only and risk bricking a phone they could just trade or sell now.

Maybe I'm just impatient and risk averse.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Even if you CAN fix it, why bother if you can only get 2G? I'd sell it or trade it for a phone that's more compatible with T-Mobile 's network instead of paying for data and only getting dial-up speeds. I get that solving problems is fun, but OP do you want to live with only 2G?