[Q] How to unlock the Chinese Huawei Ascend Glory+ [T8950]

Search This thread

TeTTiweTTi

Feb 7, 2013
Hi,

I first tried the method below:

Is someone trying to develop a Custom ROM for the Huawei Ascend G600 (U8950D)?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1943003

But the phones are not just different band versions, as mentioned in post 58 of the thread above. The T8950 is not kernal compatible with the U8950D:

Indeed, the T8950 is equipped with MTK6517 dual-core processor, the MT6517 and MT6577 are the same, A9 architecture 40nm processor, clock ed speed is 1.0Ghz.

I don't pretend to have any knowledge about rooting phones, I just was able to find the correct information on the web. I spend two weeks figuring this out. So I hope I can save somebody else his time with this information.
this is how I did it.

UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER
--------------------------------------------------
the bootloader of the T8950 is not locked, so it does not need to be unlocked. Allight, step one done! :p

INSTALLING THE CMW CUSTOM RECOVERY TOOL
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The T8950 does indeed not have a fastboot mode. the CWM custom recovery can be installed by flashing the ROM using the Flash tool of Mediatek
the correct files to use in the tutorial can be found here:
- SP_Flash_Tool_exe_v3.1224.01 --> http://www.mediafire.com/?c8lr368ceaqk7tv
- MediaTek DA USB VCOM drivers --> http://www.mediafire.com/?h0ytkyagj0kf89u

if all went well, you should have a different recovery screen now.

ROOTING
-----------
Tutorial: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.com/2012/02/complete-guide-to-clockworkmod-recovery.html
The fileto be used is:

After the update is finished, reboot . Now, you should see Superuser in your Huawei T8950 app list. You can double check if you have root, using the "got root?" app.-->https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.island51.gotroot

INSTALLING THE GOOGLE SERVICES
----------------------------------------------------------
Since the the CWM custom recovery tool is installed now and the phone is rooted, it's very simple to add the google services to the phone. I used the GAPPS of Cyanogen. You can find them on many places, e.g.
http://www.needrom.com/mobile/gapps-cyanogen/
choose the right version, most likely your T8950 will have android ICS 4.0.4

istallation is the same as installing the rooting ROM

REFERENCES
----------------------
http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.com/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html
http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.com/2012/02/complete-guide-to-clockworkmod-recovery.html
http://www.aiothudanu.com/2013/01/huawei-t8950-install-cwm-recovery-and.html
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1911475

Regards,
TeTTiweTTi

amannn

Mar 19, 2013
Hey TeTTiweTTi!

I can not say how glad I am that you wrote this tutorial. It seems that this is actually the only tutorial on how to truly unlock the T8950 (at least for non russian-speakers ;))

Still, I'd have some questions:
  1. How do you install the VCOM driver? I downloaded it, but I can only find .inf files.. How do you install them?
  2. Did you flash the whole ROM or just a part of it, as shown in the tutorial? And what exactly happens when you flash the ROM? Are you able to boot afterwards? It seems to just install CWM - right?
  3. How do you apply the update RootT8950.zip?

Help would be appreciated a lot, since you seem to be the only one who knows how to properly do it :)

Oh and btw: did everything work for you after flashing the ROM? Or did you encounter any errors?

Cheers,
amannn

Last edited:

TeTTiweTTi

Feb 7, 2013
Hi, it was indeed not so easy to collect these bits and pieces together

here an answer to your questions

The .inf files are the drivers. There are two ways to install the drivers. One way is to right click on the .inf file and choose "Install". The other way is to start the process with SP Flash Tool and as soon as you plug in the phone a new device will be detected and you have the choice to install the drivers.

Also, it is very important to make sure that you click "Download" first before you connect the device. Actually there is a trick, below the sp flash tool, you will see something that says "USB". Click "Download" and wait for the "USB" to become "Searching". Once it is "searching" then connect the USB. SP-Flashtool should be able to capture it before it disconnects itself again.

yes, you only flash a part of the ROM, so you don't need to have all the files in the SP Flash Tool. Only the ones mentioned in the tutorial. Your phone will boot normal, nothing will be changed yet. But now you will have the CWM custom recovery when you start up in recovery mode.

the linked tutorial is quite clear. Let me know if you cannot reach the page or you encounter a problem.

Regards,
TeTTiweTTi

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

Reactions: amannn

amannn

Mar 19, 2013
Hey TeTTiweTTi!

Thank you very much again for your detailed explanation!

So i think I've installed CWM recovery successful. Therefore, I'm now working on the rooting part.

The RootT8950.zip file needs to be applied, using the "choose zip from sdcard" option from CWM recovery right? When I choose that option, I encounter the error "E:Can't mount /sdcard/". Also when I'm trying to create a backup, it says "Can't mount backup path.". So it seems that there is a problem with accessing the sdcard. I then tried the "mount /sdcard" option, but it also says "Error mounting /sdcard".

Did you have any problem like that? When my phone is booted up, there is no problem with accessing the sd card... Or is there a option how I can check if the sd card is inserted correctly? I guess it's internal and therefore impossible to even remove it..

Your help would be highly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance and best wishes,
amannn

EDIT: I was now able to upload the update with an external micro sd. Therefore everything works so far - thanks again :)

Last edited:

sieger007

Jul 4, 2008
Dublin
Similar phone mtk6517 svp s580

Hi
I have this. svp. Phone with ARMV7 ( see cpuz snapshot
)

It says mkt6517 with A5 cortex
I tried jnstalling all drivers linked here for ADB
but windows xp disqualified em as valid drivers for this hardware

Finally I got android device driver to install on
All 3 devices ( see pic- there are 3 devices
That show up )
I don't think this generic driver is the right one
So rooting this is still not done .does anyone hace luck with this device
Any idea ......? With getting the right driver and root
Procedure
I tried eroot too amongst other rooting s/w's

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 104

TeTTiweTTi

Feb 7, 2013
That show up )
Procedure

Hi sieger007,

It can be a little bit tricky to install the drivers, since it are .inf files only. But these are the driver files
http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.be/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html said:
There are two ways to install the drivers. One way is to right click on the .inf file and choose "Install". The other way is to start the process with SP Flash Tool and as soon as you plug in the phone a new device will be detected and you have the choice to install the drivers.

It is very important to make sure that you click "Download" first before you connect the device. Actually there is a trick, below the sp flash tool, you will see something that says "USB". Click "Download" and wait for the "USB" to become "Searching". Once it is "searching" then connect the USB. SP-Flashtool should be able to capture it before it disconnects itself again.
This second way worked just fine for me.

You can find the drivers and tools also here
http://mt65xx-tools.4shared.com/
he password to login is bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.com.

But always make sure that you trust the sources of the ROM you download and know that it is meant for your phone. After flashing a wrong preloader, your phone will be completely dead (can't be powered on, it will not charge and won't be detected anymore by the computer) and there is no way to recover it.

In order to root you first need to install a custom recovery. In this case it is CWM.

hope this helps

Reactions: sieger007

sieger007

Jul 4, 2008
Dublin
still stuck in driver hell

thanks for your help . I had a previous Chinese MTK (MT6575 ARM A9 cortex ) phone , whose ADB drivers successfully installed when I installed the SDK .
Now this one is MTK6517 ARM A5 Cortex. and none of the methods ( #1 or #2 ) help, in those drivers being recognized.
By method #1 : Right click install - It maybe just copying the driver file to system folder and then on windows would auto detect it when the device is inserted -assuming there is a match .
Method # 2 : Uses the new h/w found dialogue . Not sure if invoking sp_tool is related anyways in invoking that dialogue . It shows up anyways - soon as you plug in the phone .
I could not get the driver files in with the blogspot password to be recognized . Kept giving me "specified location. does not contain info about your h/w msg"
I have the EXACT same problem with ALL drivers hunted on the net , that say MTK driver. Some files say MTK65xx some say MTK_USB_Driver etc.
the h/w ID's and instance IDs associated with the devices are attached .
USB\VID_1782&Pid_5d04&Rev_0229&MI_01
Now the driver.inf file did have one ray of hope with this mention ..wonder if that'd make it compatible with a modified inf file.
But I am lost about HOW to add the h/w ID info ( format and what specific data to add ) to the inf file -most data is of the form VID_eXXX something in that file ( see below quote )

MT6516 USB VCOM drivers\readme.txt

Code:
3. Customers can customize usb2ser_XXX.inf file.
   There is a string in the file:
   MTK6218 = "USB Modem Driver" 
   You can modify it for your product name, for example:
   MTK6218 = "MY_PRODUCT Modem Driver"

The other perplexing thing is that there are 3 Devices that show up under XP device manager. I managed to get one of em installed as device "android phone" with driver "android ADB interface" from Google and can possibly manage to get ALL of em installed the same way since those device ID's are close ( the last '1' becomes 2 and 3 respectively ) in this
Code:
USB\VID_1782&Pid_5d04&Rev_0229&MI_01

After pushing all these device ID's as "android ADB interface" - and attempting to root- the android rooting s/w's will NOT work at the identification step , erring out with "ADP device not found "- conclusively indicating that those drivers probably did not work well and I ought to look around for better ones - something I am trying to address by this thread.

Lastly - sp_tool when you start it - it will ask for scatter file. The scatter file out there is for MTK6577 (vs my model 6517 ) . If I choose that file - it gives me a warning - yes it out - and click download - it will then just freeze doing nothing

Attachments

• DeviceM.jpg
    DeviceM.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 49
  • HwID's.jpg
    HwID's.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 53
  • sp.jpg
    sp.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

sieger007

Jul 4, 2008
Dublin
after some more G-mining ( Google) - i found out that I have to stick my VID in that hardware ID's and create an adb_usb.ini file to get the device recognized. Will update on happened next

TeTTiweTTi

Feb 7, 2013
after some more G-mining ( Google) - i found out that I have to stick my VID in that hardware ID's and create an adb_usb.ini file to get the device recognized. Will update on happened next

good luck!
That's why I stay away from these little brands. It's very difficult to find good information for it.

sieger007

Jul 4, 2008
Dublin
found something !!! I hope this is perm and not "leased"

good luck!
That's why I stay away from these little brands. It's very difficult to find good information for it.

good luck!

ADB driver issue
> adb_usb.ini needed oXXXX as device ID . Where XXXX is the ID that shows up on Device manager. This is detailed here

http://blog.fh-kaernten.at/wehr/?p=1182

after that there will be 2 yellow marks for the rest of the unknowns in device manager. for this you have to modify the .inf file to include the entire h/w ID strings. I guess that makes just about any driver get along with anyone unknown - so here I am not sure if showing them as the such h/w by changing the driver files - gives them the actual intended functionality or all it does it just makes the device manager look clean without yellow marks. Maybe someone could help expand the talk here
[
Code:
android_winusb.inf

%SingleAdbInterface%        = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C01
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_1782&PID_5D04&MI_01

/*ADDED*/
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_1782&PID_5D04&MI_02
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_1782&PID_5D04&MI_03

So with that - I get 1 ADB interface and 3 devices show up under "com and LPT" - alright that completes the drivers

ROOTING
I found this Chinese rooting program Vroot . I still have'nt figured out what exactly it means but it looks like it DID root that sucker after all. I tested with one app - root checker - got an dialogue in Chinese , asking me whether to give or not and I think I said Y but that app still does not say I have root. Its probably the apps thats at fault because I can get Linked2SD do ALL the stuff it would be doing running as root - .e.g force move programs to SD to free up space etc.

If someone out there can make English out of that and tell me if its mine to keep or leased out ( trial ) - that'd be damn nice !!!

ROMS
- WIP- when I get some more time

Attachments

• dm1.jpg
    dm1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 69
  • adb_driver_htc.rar
    6.1 MB · Views: 306

sieger007

Jul 4, 2008
Dublin
the chinese rooting program - now hiring English interpreters

the chinese rooting program - now hiring English interpreters

ADB driver issue
> adb_usb.ini needed oXXXX as device ID . Where XXXX is the ID that shows up on Device manager. This is detailed here

http://blog.fh-kaernten.at/wehr/?p=1182

after that there will be 2 yellow marks for the rest of the unknowns in device manager. for this you have to modify the .inf file to include the entire h/w ID strings. I guess that makes just about any driver get along with anyone unknown - so here I am not sure if showing them as the such h/w by changing the driver files - gives them the actual intended functionality or all it does it just makes the device manager look clean without yellow marks. Maybe someone could help expand the talk here
[
Code:
android_winusb.inf

%SingleAdbInterface%        = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C01
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_1782&PID_5D04&MI_01

/*ADDED*/
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_1782&PID_5D04&MI_02
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_1782&PID_5D04&MI_03

So with that - I get 1 ADB interface and 3 devices show up under "com and LPT" - alright that completes the drivers

ROOTING
I found this Chinese rooting program Vroot . I still have'nt figured out what exactly it means but it looks like it DID root that sucker after all. I tested with one app - root checker - got an dialogue in Chinese , asking me whether to give or not and I think I said Y but that app still does not say I have root. Its probably the apps thats at fault because I can get Linked2SD do ALL the stuff it would be doing running as root - .e.g force move programs to SD to free up space etc.

If someone out there can make English out of that and tell me if its mine to keep or leased out ( trial ) - that'd be damn nice !!!

ROMS
- WIP- when I get some more time

Attachments

• VRoot_1.4.3.3359_Setup.rar
    4.6 MB · Views: 92

sieger007

Jul 4, 2008
Dublin
some screenshots of the text you want translated

here goes ..thank you . Combined several screens together in '4 lets '

Post some screenshots of the text you want translated and I will ask the help of one of my Chinese colleagues.

Attachments

• 1375359589587.jpg
    1375359589587.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 1375359632239.jpg
    1375359632239.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 1375360998103.jpg
    1375360998103.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 1375369196166.jpg
    1375369196166.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 47

pratikmore

Jun 12, 2011
Mumbai
www.junk-m.com
Redmi K20 Pro
here goes ..thank you . Combined several screens together in '4 lets '
ROM Basic Information Huawei T8950 Emotion UI 1.6 official pure version of the card brush pack

Author: Hay.
Size: 398MB
Android Version: 4.1.2
UI type: official factory style
Suitable models: Huawei T8950
Release date: 2013-07-31
MD5 code: F7A21630317EE4239DC145E75FF8A276

ROM presentation
1, based on the official code base package and Qualcomm made ​​to upgrade to 4.1.2
2, emui upgrade to 1.6
3, repair legendary SMS unlit issue
4, full root privileges
5, caused during an upgrade wifi loss problem to fix
6, clean up some pit length useless underlying file
7, adjust the signal and the network connection speed
8 streamlining TTS voice database file
9, usb debugging is enabled by default
10 to adjust the overall Desktop Note: Upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1 need to upgrade Bottom bag bottom package

download address: http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=805743044&uk=137718883

recover before upgrade to upgrade the official recovery Brush back REC official and third-party tools

brush download address: HTTP :/ / pan.baidu.com / share / link? shareid = 807162397 & uk = 137718883

1.6 EMUI ROM Download: http://t.cn/zQWgp1r

amannn

Mar 19, 2013
3G not accessible

Hi again,

so I've been struggling with another issue.

Somehow my T8950 isn't capable of connecting to the 3G network of my carrier. When I search for networks, only the 2G networks are being found.

Does anybody have a clue why that is and how to solve that problem? My carrier is from Austria and is called "tele.ring" which is operated by T-Mobile.

I'd really appreciate your help, since 2G is reaaally slow for data connections :D

EDIT: I just tried allowing my phone only to connect to 3G networks by using the Network app from Philipp Mangelow (which shows the same menu as if you dial *#*#4636#*#* as i just found out). This results into no 3G networks being found at all.. I thought maybe the problem occurs because I'm always connected in roaming mode. As I bought the phone in China, it seems to believe that i need to be in roaming mode to connect to my local carrier. However, I have a local SIM-card, so this is somewhat weird..

EDIT 2: So after some googling I've found out that China has the TD-SCDMA radio interface for 3G (at least China Mobile, and that's from where I've bought the phone), but in europe it's W-CDMA.. Remains the question how to change that (if possible at all)..

EDIT 3: So I've wrote an email to Huawei about the issue, and that's the reply:

Sorry that T8950 doesn’t support the W-CDMA mode.
Below please kindly check the frequence band of T8950 for your reference.
• GSM/EDGE:900/1800/1900MHz
• TD-SCDMA:A frequency(2010-2025MHz)/F frequency(1880-1920MHz)

So that means that there is nothing i can do about it?

Thanks and all the best,
amannn

Last edited:

TeTTiweTTi

Feb 7, 2013
Hi again,

so I've been struggling with another issue.

Somehow my T8950 isn't capable of connecting to the 3G network of my carrier. When I search for networks, only the 2G networks are being found.

Does anybody have a clue why that is and how to solve that problem? My carrier is from Austria and is called "tele.ring" which is operated by T-Mobile.

I'd really appreciate your help, since 2G is reaaally slow for data connections :D

EDIT: I just tried allowing my phone only to connect to 3G networks by using the Network app from Philipp Mangelow (which shows the same menu as if you dial *#*#4636#*#* as i just found out). This results into no 3G networks being found at all.. I thought maybe the problem occurs because I'm always connected in roaming mode. As I bought the phone in China, it seems to believe that i need to be in roaming mode to connect to my local carrier. However, I have a local SIM-card, so this is somewhat weird..

EDIT 2: So after some googling I've found out that China has the TD-SCDMA radio interface for 3G (at least China Mobile, and that's from where I've bought the phone), but in europe it's W-CDMA.. Remains the question how to change that (if possible at all)..

EDIT 3: So I've wrote an email to Huawei about the issue, and that's the reply:

Sorry that T8950 doesn’t support the W-CDMA mode.
Below please kindly check the frequence band of T8950 for your reference.
• GSM/EDGE:900/1800/1900MHz
• TD-SCDMA:A frequency(2010-2025MHz)/F frequency(1880-1920MHz)

So that means that there is nothing i can do about it?

Thanks and all the best,
amannn

No, unfortunatly not. this is not a software setting, but a different hardware chip. my t8950 also does not support 3G in Belgium :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I first tried the method below:

Is someone trying to develop a Custom ROM for the Huawei Ascend G600 (U8950D)?
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1943003

But the phones are not just different band versions, as mentioned in post 58 of the thread above. The T8950 is not kernal compatible with the U8950D:

Indeed, the T8950 is equipped with MTK6517 dual-core processor, the MT6517 and MT6577 are the same, A9 architecture 40nm processor, clock ed speed is 1.0Ghz.

I don't pretend to have any knowledge about rooting phones, I just was able to find the correct information on the web. I spend two weeks figuring this out. So I hope I can save somebody else his time with this information.
    this is how I did it.

UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER
    --------------------------------------------------
    the bootloader of the T8950 is not locked, so it does not need to be unlocked. Allight, step one done! :p

INSTALLING THE CMW CUSTOM RECOVERY TOOL
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The T8950 does indeed not have a fastboot mode. the CWM custom recovery can be installed by flashing the ROM using the Flash tool of Mediatek
    the correct files to use in the tutorial can be found here:
    - SP_Flash_Tool_exe_v3.1224.01 --> http://www.mediafire.com/?c8lr368ceaqk7tv
    - MediaTek DA USB VCOM drivers --> http://www.mediafire.com/?h0ytkyagj0kf89u

if all went well, you should have a different recovery screen now.

ROOTING
    -----------
    Tutorial: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.com/2012/02/complete-guide-to-clockworkmod-recovery.html
    The fileto be used is:

After the update is finished, reboot . Now, you should see Superuser in your Huawei T8950 app list. You can double check if you have root, using the "got root?" app.-->https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.island51.gotroot

INSTALLING THE GOOGLE SERVICES
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Since the the CWM custom recovery tool is installed now and the phone is rooted, it's very simple to add the google services to the phone. I used the GAPPS of Cyanogen. You can find them on many places, e.g.
    choose the right version, most likely your T8950 will have android ICS 4.0.4

istallation is the same as installing the rooting ROM

REFERENCES
    ----------------------
    http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.com/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html
    http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.com/2012/02/complete-guide-to-clockworkmod-recovery.html
    http://www.aiothudanu.com/2013/01/huawei-t8950-install-cwm-recovery-and.html
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1911475

Regards,
    TeTTiweTTi
    Hi, it was indeed not so easy to collect these bits and pieces together

here an answer to your questions

The .inf files are the drivers. There are two ways to install the drivers. One way is to right click on the .inf file and choose "Install". The other way is to start the process with SP Flash Tool and as soon as you plug in the phone a new device will be detected and you have the choice to install the drivers.

Also, it is very important to make sure that you click "Download" first before you connect the device. Actually there is a trick, below the sp flash tool, you will see something that says "USB". Click "Download" and wait for the "USB" to become "Searching". Once it is "searching" then connect the USB. SP-Flashtool should be able to capture it before it disconnects itself again.

yes, you only flash a part of the ROM, so you don't need to have all the files in the SP Flash Tool. Only the ones mentioned in the tutorial. Your phone will boot normal, nothing will be changed yet. But now you will have the CWM custom recovery when you start up in recovery mode.

the linked tutorial is quite clear. Let me know if you cannot reach the page or you encounter a problem.

Regards,
    TeTTiweTTi

That show up )
    Procedure

Hi sieger007,

It can be a little bit tricky to install the drivers, since it are .inf files only. But these are the driver files
    http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.be/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html said:
    There are two ways to install the drivers. One way is to right click on the .inf file and choose "Install". The other way is to start the process with SP Flash Tool and as soon as you plug in the phone a new device will be detected and you have the choice to install the drivers.

It is very important to make sure that you click "Download" first before you connect the device. Actually there is a trick, below the sp flash tool, you will see something that says "USB". Click "Download" and wait for the "USB" to become "Searching". Once it is "searching" then connect the USB. SP-Flashtool should be able to capture it before it disconnects itself again.
    This second way worked just fine for me.

You can find the drivers and tools also here
    http://mt65xx-tools.4shared.com/
    he password to login is bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.com.

But always make sure that you trust the sources of the ROM you download and know that it is meant for your phone. After flashing a wrong preloader, your phone will be completely dead (can't be powered on, it will not charge and won't be detected anymore by the computer) and there is no way to recover it.

In order to root you first need to install a custom recovery. In this case it is CWM.

hope this helps