Turning sour on my S4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

wavemaster00

Jan 3, 2011
I have had the S4 for almost a year, and at the moment I am not sure if I would want to buy a S5.
Like the screen, the size, the weight, quality of build, and everything except for the home button, that was an unnecessary concession to the Apple fanboys.

What is turning me off is the fact that I am stuck with the TW roms. Usually, 9 months into a new phone I would start looking around for custom Roms and I would get another year of happy ownership out of my phone.

Stuck with TW, I am getting annoyed with the overbearing software.

I dislike is that every time the phone screen turns off, I need to swipe to unlock it after hitting the power button. Really like the feature where I could set a delay time there.

Also, I dislike the dialer. Too many screens to wade through. Ending a call always leaves me wondering why I ended up on the screen I am at.

And then this World Clock, for some reason I am looking at the screen of the World Clock way too many times. During phone calls, and also at other times.

Then, bluetooth voice dialing with Google Search is a complete downgrade from what it used to be. Samsung S-voice is no better. Pretty much unusable the way it is. So, now I am wading through screens to make phone calls, while driving. I guess the coders used to implement functionality like that are all kids and they never make phone calls.

Then the mess with upgrades, almost a Gig to download is a major inconvenience on our slow DSL connection. I think it probably downloaded 4 GB of interrupted files, each time it started again. End up driving 30 minutes to find an AT&T support center and let them do it.

Samsung Health has become more annoying than ever with the 50% progress message.

Every time there is an update, AT&T messes with the tethering security, spend too much time trying to figure out how to 'fix' that.

Just a general feeling of unhappiness, my apologies for the rant.
I have not looked at other phones, so I don't know if I can do better with another brand.

G

GuestK00192

everything except for the home button, that was an unnecessary concession to the Apple fanboys.

I never owned a single Apple product and I wont buy an Android phone without a home button.

I stopped reading after that, just sell your phone and get another brand, you have plenty of options.

andrewdroid

Oct 19, 2010
New York, NY
Samsung Galaxy S21
I'm thinking htc m8 for you, but not so sure about that ultra pixel camera. It sounds better in theory than it actually is. What's nice about that phone is they added sd cards. What's not so nice is no removable battery, I guess if you want a removable battery, Samsung is your only option now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Sledutah

Apr 13, 2007
Utah
I flashed GE on my ATT S4 about 7 months ago and couldn't be happier. It got rid of all the TW and Samsung junk, battery is great and it flies. I was thinking about upgrading but I'll hold on to this phone for a while longer, no complaints.

wavemaster00

Jan 3, 2011
I flashed GE on my ATT S4 about 7 months ago and couldn't be happier. It got rid of all the TW and Samsung junk, battery is great and it flies. I was thinking about upgrading but I'll hold on to this phone for a while longer, no complaints.

Is GE an option for me now that I am on mk2?

Does tethering work?

The Jack of Clubs

Jan 28, 2007
Houston
You have to use a touchwiz ROM with mk2. The boot loader is locked down like Alcatraz. It pisses me of so much. It's gross like the phone has an std or something. Don't buy an s5. It's hardware is not an improvement and it's likely to have a similar bootloader.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.