[Q] Stuck on white HTC EVO 4G Screen

Search This thread

gene12517

Mar 6, 2012
Brooklyn
Please see the attachment.
I have searched the forum for people with my issue, but no luck.
I was not ROOTED. My phone started to reboot itself everyday for one week. Three days ago, it rebooted and then never got past the white HTC EVO 4G screen. Kept rebooting. I searched and tried so many things that my head is about to explode. There are some horrible videos on YouTube. I downloaded the PC36IMG.ZIP from the RUU an HTC EVO 4G document from this site (i cant post links) but it's not working. I tried several RUU's with no luck. I dont want to root my EVO. Can someone help me reinstall the GingerBread OS that I had before this happened?
It's not under warranty and Sprint will not replace/fix it.

Attachments

• DSCN4771.rar
    1.7 MB · Views: 96

gene12517

Mar 6, 2012
Brooklyn
My phone is now UNLOCKED. I followed the htcdev.com procedure. I tried the PC36IMG.ZIP file again. It does not say Update fail. It just goes back to the HBOOT screen.

Last edited:

gene12517

Mar 6, 2012
Brooklyn
Do I need to rename it to PC36IMG.ZIP and use HBOOT? I thought I needed PC36IMG_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.67.651.3_Radio_2.15.00.12.19_NV_2.33_release_234563_signed.zip.

I used the 4.62.651.3 file, it seemed to be working, but then it did not give me any update prompt and went back to the HBOOT screen.

Last edited:

moreno4xl

Aug 10, 2010
Brooklyn
I'm not really sure if it matters but don't capitalize ".ZIP" when you reaname it or just remove it and just leave it PC36IMG

gene12517

Mar 6, 2012
Brooklyn
I tried both files. It loads the file, starts the process with the blue bar on the right side, states Checking..... Parsing.... and then returns to the HBOOT screen.

:(

gene12517

Mar 6, 2012
Brooklyn
Tried all three files again (two from moreno4xl) and the PC36IMG_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.67.651.3_Radio_ 2.15.00.12.19_NV_2.33_release_234563_signed file with .zip lowercase. No luck.

After parsing.......goes back to HBOOT.

Are there any utilities that can actually check the hardware and see if the internal RAM is ok? Maybe the RAM is bad and no software will ever install.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
I tried both files. It loads the file, starts the process with the blue bar on the right side, states Checking..... Parsing.... and then returns to the HBOOT screen.

:(
If all you want to do is factory reset, have you tried the "CLEAR STORAGE" option in the HBOOT menu?

At this point, you're unlocked, meaning you can easily root and flash a custom ROM. I'd say that's a better solution (if you can get the ROM working).

gene12517

Mar 6, 2012
Brooklyn
I tried CLEAR STORAGE. No luck. I tried to put a recovery on the device.
D:\Android>fastboot flash recovery recovery-ra-supersonic-3.11-gnm.img
sending 'recovery' (4124 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.170s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 1.676s]
finished. total time: 2.846s

D:\Android>fastboot reboot-bootloader
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.089s]
finished. total time: 0.089s

Pressed power on Recovery, and it still reboots back to the HTC EVO 4G white screen. I cannt even create a recovery partition on this phone. Is the ROM bad? Where do I get the PC36IMG.diag file?

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
Your partitions may have become corrupted in which case you need to replace it or send it out to be jtag'd jtag is probably the cheaper route as its only about 60$ shipped both ways
Edit: jtag takes about a week round trip and the work done google "jtag service" and look for a site called mobilevideos or something like that hes been jtaging alot of bricked et4g's lately

We are legion, for we are many

Sent from my Anonymous DeathStar in the depths of GalaXy S2

Last edited:
Reactions: gene12517

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
If you cant get recovery to work probably not if you can get recovery loaded you can wipe the whole phone and flash a ROM which may fix it but your phone is acting similar to the perm bricks that were caused by the twrp 2.0 recovery which basically f*cked up the data partition on the nand chip making it unable to be written to however im not sure what could have caused this since you were unrooted but flash memory which is what the nand chip is does have a shelf life usually far longer than the average user will keep the device however there are always bad seeds that get out jtag forces the nand to accept a binary rewrite which repairs the bad blocks in the partition, its possible to jtag yourself however the software is ridiculously priced at somewhere around a grand and cracked copies usually are no good if you can even find one
Edit: mobiletechvideos is the name of the site doing the et4g im not sure if they do the evo but its a solid place to start i noticed today he dropped his price to $50 from $60

Last edited:

gene12517

Mar 6, 2012
Brooklyn
Why doesn't ADB see the phone when fastboot does?

D:\Android>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

D:\Android>telnet main1 5037
Connecting To main1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 5037: Connect failed

D:\Android>adb bugreport
error: device not found

D:\Android>adb root

D:\Android>fastboot devices
HT097HL09284 fastboot

gene12517

Mar 6, 2012
Brooklyn
Maybe I can recreate all the partitions on the phone? Is there a guide on how to do that properly?

Partitions:
Followings are a list of partitions on your android phone.

misc - misc partition -
recovery - Recovery Partition - This is where the original HTC recovery or Amon Ra's recovery or any other Recovery would go. Basically if you reboot into recovery it'll boot from here.
boot - This is your boot partition
system - This is where all your system information (ROM resides)
cache - cache (When you factory reset the phone, this area is wiped)
userdata - user data (like your login, your user settings etc) When you factory reset the phone, this area is wiped)

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
I don't need to have S-OFF to install recovery?
Not with the unlocked bootloader - you can be S-ON, but the recovery partition is still writeable.

List of devices attached

Connecting To main1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 5037: Connect failed

HT097HL09284 fastboot
That does sound very similar to the problem I had with the TWRP soft-brick. If you could get booted into a rooted ROM, you would be able to connect to adb over Wi-Fi, but without being able to flash a rooted ROM, I don't think there's anything you can do.
Maybe I can recreate all the partitions on the phone? Is there a guide on how to do that properly?

Partitions:

misc - misc partition -
recovery - Recovery Partition - This is where the original HTC recovery or Amon Ra's recovery or any other Recovery would go. Basically if you reboot into recovery it'll boot from here.
userdata - user data (like your login, your user settings etc) When you factory reset the phone, this area is wiped)
Your problem is likely due to corruption, which flashing the misc partition should help to correct. But, you can't do that without adb, so your back to what I said above.

I don't know if there's anything you can do, to be honest.

P.S. adb doesn't work over fastboot.

gene12517

Mar 6, 2012
Brooklyn
UPDATE:

Before giving up I searched the internet again and found this.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-evo-3d/147922-relocked.html

Procedure:
1. Enter FASTBOOT, and then connect to your computer (FASTBOOT USB will be shown)
2. Open command prompt in your computer
3. Relock your device by typing "fastboot oem lock" (you should know what is this if you HTC-unlock your phone before), the device will reboot.
4. Enter FASTBOOT again (you will see *** RELOCKED ***)
5. Apply the RUU
6. You device will be stocked

Note: The device must be relocked in order to apply the RUU.

I then ran the latest RUU and was getting very excited.......After 53% I got an error. Pulled the USB cord and saw the attachment. Reran RUU and got the same error. Turned the phone on and the only thing I see is a black background with HTC in the middle and four triangles in the corners.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20120307_172631.rar
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

gene12517

Mar 6, 2012
Brooklyn
I cant get back to unlocked now since its stuck in the RUU screen and the fastboot flash unlocktoken unlock_code.bin does not bring up the GUI on the phone....

Damn, this is complicated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Your partitions may have become corrupted in which case you need to replace it or send it out to be jtag'd jtag is probably the cheaper route as its only about 60$ shipped both ways
    Edit: jtag takes about a week round trip and the work done google "jtag service" and look for a site called mobilevideos or something like that hes been jtaging alot of bricked et4g's lately

If you cant get recovery to work probably not if you can get recovery loaded you can wipe the whole phone and flash a ROM which may fix it but your phone is acting similar to the perm bricks that were caused by the twrp 2.0 recovery which basically f*cked up the data partition on the nand chip making it unable to be written to however im not sure what could have caused this since you were unrooted but flash memory which is what the nand chip is does have a shelf life usually far longer than the average user will keep the device however there are always bad seeds that get out jtag forces the nand to accept a binary rewrite which repairs the bad blocks in the partition, its possible to jtag yourself however the software is ridiculously priced at somewhere around a grand and cracked copies usually are no good if you can even find one
    Edit: mobiletechvideos is the name of the site doing the et4g im not sure if they do the evo but its a solid place to start i noticed today he dropped his price to $50 from $60

I don't need to have S-OFF to install recovery?
    Not with the unlocked bootloader - you can be S-ON, but the recovery partition is still writeable.

List of devices attached

HT097HL09284 fastboot
    That does sound very similar to the problem I had with the TWRP soft-brick. If you could get booted into a rooted ROM, you would be able to connect to adb over Wi-Fi, but without being able to flash a rooted ROM, I don't think there's anything you can do.

Partitions:

misc - misc partition -
    Your problem is likely due to corruption, which flashing the misc partition should help to correct. But, you can't do that without adb, so your back to what I said above.

I don't know if there's anything you can do, to be honest.

P.S. adb doesn't work over fastboot.