just received OTA update to UCAMA4

Search This thread

mikron24

Mar 21, 2011
got the update

on stock device i317 att update came Saturday 10 am La time phone seems good as usual

cheers

con_ritmo

Nov 26, 2007
I did a similar update with the LK7 OTA update. I was stock rooted with all status at normal and flash counter at zero. I installed Voodoo OTA RootKeeper (v2.0.3) and ran it to get a protected copy su binary. Then let the phone flash the OTA update and reboot. I too still had SuperuserSU and appeared to be rooted, but when I tried to launch Titanium it couldn't get permission. I had to open RootKeeper and re-apply the protecyed copy of root, then everything was fine.

I can confirm that ota rootkeeper was able to retain root with this latest ucama4 update. stock rom, stock recovery, rooted.

I did have to uninstall/reinstall supersu though...since after the update (and rootkeeper root restore) it spit out an error message every time I tried to temp hide root with supersu. After a reinstall everything is back to normal.

slicingtaco

May 8, 2012
C:\Earth\USA\California\Freakmont
I did a similar update with the LK7 OTA update. I was stock rooted with all status at normal and flash counter at zero. I installed Voodoo OTA RootKeeper (v2.0.3) and ran it to get a protected copy su binary. Then let the phone flash the OTA update and reboot. I too still had SuperuserSU and appeared to be rooted, but when I tried to launch Titanium it couldn't get permission. I had to open RootKeeper and re-apply the protecyed copy of root, then everything was fine.

S your saying that we should use Voodoo OTA RootKeeper to avoid unrooting through the OTA process? I would hate using the long method (Odin) to root if i lost it because this update would get rid of exynos abuse

ArborRes

Apr 13, 2012
I have deleted the ATT software update app to avoid dealing with this.
The security patch has been already rolled into the OC kernels used in many of current ROMs and is not needed.
For those of us who use custom ROMs, why bother with ATT update anyway?:p

planoman

Nov 30, 2010
Plano, Texas
My update had downloaded but failed to update twice. Once while rooted and I unrooted and was stock the second time? Anyone else?

livingaboard

Jan 29, 2012
Stock. Just rooted to get rid of bloatware. Rooted using the exynos abuse exploit and then unrooted with it. Stock.

So you do not have the original at and t apps/files that came with the phone? I have read that if certain apps are not detected during an update that the update will fail. I don't know which apps that might be. If you are stuck on getting the OTA to work on a stock rom, then maybe a complete wipe and reset might work as well as replacing the stock rom completely.

I'm no expert for sure on this so hopefully you will get an answer that is easier to perform

theonewhowas

Aug 8, 2011
Manitoba
I've used the aosp/cm versions on a lot of phones. S2 gnote s3 and I loved it. The g note was a hard sell but the functions weren't that great stock rom so I really liked the paranoid Android aosp. Now with the note 2... I've found the stock rom to be very smooth and feature rich. I am sure the aosp rom improves upon the performance as it always does, but you do kinda cripple the features a bit. I love the spen functionality so I'm not too keen on switching.

This is just my 2 cents. I do agree you should give aosp a try it as it does open new features and customizations. But there is always something that you'll miss or some weird bug.

I used to be a big rom-a-holic so I can understand the curiosity. Just remember Titainium backup and twrp/recovery backups are your friend and a good way to restore should you not like it.

planoman

Nov 30, 2010
Plano, Texas
So you do not have the original at and t apps/files that came with the phone? I have read that if certain apps are not detected during an update that the update will fail. I don't know which apps that might be. If you are stuck on getting the OTA to work on a stock rom, then maybe a complete wipe and reset might work as well as replacing the stock rom completely.

I'm no expert for sure on this so hopefully you will get an answer that is easier to perform

Yes I have them backed up on Titanium Back up. I uninstalled them and put them on my SD card not deleted them. I guess I could reinstall them but that would be nuts. I might just go to clean ROM SE for ATT.

Last edited:

slicingtaco

May 8, 2012

Your correct also that applies if you have modified the stock files in anyway (replaced them). Any official OTA checks the SHA-1 hash tags (similar to MD5 hash tag) within almost every file under the root partition (/system, /recovery, etc...). And all must match the expected SHA-1 hash or you will get Error 7 which looks like this.
I would try restoring these files by a nandroid or Titanium if you did. You can read more about this HERE

Last edited:

planoman

Nov 30, 2010
Plano, Texas
Your correct also that applies if you have modified the stock files in anyway (replaced them). Any official OTA checks the SHA-1 hash tags (similar to MD5 hash tag) within almost every file under the root partition (/system, /recovery, etc...). And all must match the expected SHA-1 hash or you will get Error 7 which looks like this.
I would try restoring these files by a nandroid or Titanium if you did. You can read more about this HERE

I had uninstalled 12 to 14 att bloatware apps and backed them up with Titanium Backup. I rerooted and reinstalled them all (ouch) and then unrooted. I will try the update again tomorrow.

If it does not work I will flash back to stock image using the Galaxy Note toolkit here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2052779

Last edited:

slicingtaco

May 8, 2012
I had uninstalled 12 to 14 att bloatware apps and backed them up with Titanium Backup. I rerooted and reinstalled them all (ouch) and then unrooted. I will try the update again tomorrow. Anyone have the update file to update manually?

Yes i do, HERE put it under the /cache and flash the update with the stock recovery (or custom recovery). Good luck i've been through this once (successfully) and i don't plan on doing so again. Let me know if there's any other way i can help.

Reactions: planoman

Arichman

Aug 4, 2010
Is it safe to flash this update using CWR? If not then how do go back to stock recovery? I can't find the AT&T stock recovery anywhere.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I suspect it's the Exynos security fix, but I haven't tried to verify that.

Addendum: After it installed, the device status was Modified. But I restarted the phone again, and now the status is back to Normal. (It's always been fully stock, never rooted.)
    you are lucky; usually doing an ota update kills root
    So if you had done the option 4 free unlock is it not unlocked now?...noticed T-mo N2 didn't have that option the other day

Just checked, the unlock still works if you did the unlock before the latest update. I am on AT&T and my T-Moobil sim still worked after the update.
    I had uninstalled 12 to 14 att bloatware apps and backed them up with Titanium Backup. I rerooted and reinstalled them all (ouch) and then unrooted. I will try the update again tomorrow. Anyone have the update file to update manually?

Yes i do, HERE put it under the /cache and flash the update with the stock recovery (or custom recovery). Good luck i've been through this once (successfully) and i don't plan on doing so again. Let me know if there's any other way i can help.