new to the g2...best ics rom?

Search This thread

damngood98

Sep 7, 2009
Detroit
i see there's been other threads that have asked the same thing....however, things like this change on a daily basis....just wanted to get an idea of where to start on an ics rom for the g2. thanks in advance for those who respond :)

also, if you do recommend something, any heads up on what trouble you've had with it.

crestofawave

Dec 17, 2011
Heraklion
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
They're all good honestly. For AOSP, Virtuous Quattro is heavily outdated, and the rest perform (very) similarly. Camera works, but it hasn't been completely figured out yet. Other than that, it seems like most of the issues have been figured out. In my experience with Andromadus I had absolutely no issues.

For Sense, again, they all perform similarly. They are somewhat faster when compared to the AOSP counterparts, but the camera doesn't work at all. Atm I'm running Sensewich B6 and it's very smooth/fast. No issues so far.

Reactions: damngood98

MarkyG82

Oct 26, 2010
If you're happy with a possible buggy Rom go for andro test. It is far smoother than the stable release (B2).

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using xda premium

TenMaKo

Apr 29, 2011
Toulouse
If you're happy with a possible buggy Rom go for andro test. It is far smoother than the stable release (B2).

lol, stable release (Beta 2) ;)

As crestofawave said there's only minor differences about performances from one to another and there are only few issues left.
I'm running CM9 Unofficial and i'm really happy with it. People seem to be happy with the lastest Andromadus too. And if you want Sense, don't hesitate, Sensewich B6 is really good.

Reactions: damngood98

Rafter581

Jul 6, 2012
Griffin
where can i download andromadus v11 from?? i'm running GB 2.3 on my G2 and its acting up now for some reason.
i'm new to this whole thing and i have no idea what to do.
If anyone can help me out, it'll be greatly appreciated

damngood98

Sep 7, 2009
Detroit
where can i download andromadus v11 from?? i'm running GB 2.3 on my G2 and its acting up now for some reason.
i'm new to this whole thing and i have no idea what to do.
If anyone can help me out, it'll be greatly appreciated

Go to development area & just find the rom you want to try. As far as not knowing what to do, how lost are you? I see youre new here. Backing up? Flashing? Let me know

kingclo615

Mar 6, 2011
Are there any miui ics roms out there suitable for use as a daily driver? I'm currently using strawmetals miui rom.

tvdang7

Dec 24, 2010
ics roms are too laggy once u add more apps on cuz you run out of ram fast. it sucks ive tried cm9/andro/mimicry. Its what you have to give up inorder to have ics on your phone.

kbeezie

Feb 23, 2010
Grand Rapids, Mi
karlblessing.com
ics roms are too laggy once u add more apps on cuz you run out of ram fast. it sucks ive tried cm9/andro/mimicry. Its what you have to give up inorder to have ics on your phone.

Not the case with the ICS Rom I'm using in my signature, and I have 150 apps installed (as per the 'optimizing # of 150' when I clear the dalvik cache and have zip align feature enabled). Though it seems to *need* the latest *.19 radio to use, but you don't need the DZ hboot since it's quite a light rom in comparison to other ICS roms. Works best with sd-ext and 64/96 dataswap option.

crimsonpham

Jun 30, 2012
mimicry was the fastest for me, but i couldn't record audio in some apps like evernote. what i did was flash quadsense and THEN mimicry w/o formatting partitions. don't know why but this solves the problem. like the user above said, the new radio is necessary--i saw instant increase in performance after the flash.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Not the case with the ICS Rom I'm using in my signature, and I have 150 apps installed (as per the 'optimizing # of 150' when I clear the dalvik cache and have zip align feature enabled). Though it seems to *need* the latest *.19 radio to use, but you don't need the DZ hboot since it's quite a light rom in comparison to other ICS roms. Works best with sd-ext and 64/96 dataswap option.

what does sd-ext and 64/96 dataswap do and what audience is it ideally for? do you have to reinstall your apps after a flash of a different rom? btw, do you have problems with the launcher app drawer taking long to load? i tried both nova and apex, but both are plagued by the same problems. i tried the tweak to keep launcher in memory and it helped but i still have a slow down with initial opening the app drawer.

kbeezie

Feb 23, 2010
Grand Rapids, Mi
karlblessing.com
what does sd-ext and 64/96 dataswap do and what audience is it ideally for? do you have to reinstall your apps after a flash of a different rom? btw, do you have problems with the launcher app drawer taking long to load? i tried both nova and apex, but both are plagued by the same problems. i tried the tweak to keep launcher in memory and it helped but i still have a slow down with initial opening the app drawer.

DataSwap compliments SD-Ext, with his rom if an sd-ext partition exists on the SD card it'll automatically move the content of /data/app and /data/app-private to /sd-ext/app and /sd-ext/app-private. Unlike most sd-ext apps it does not move the cache/dalvik-cache to the SD Card as that would only slow things down.

With DataSwap it places a swapfile on the /data partition (hence using the space freed up by sd-ext and splitting the usage between two devices rather than all on the /data partition), which is much faster than using swap on the SD card, although it will still use swap on the SD card if present, will just add it to the total swap (but will rarely be used as ~54MB seems to be the sweet spot with Eliterom). 96MB is used for people who tend to be heavy multi-taskers for extra smoothness.

I do not have a problem with the apex loader taking too long to load with at least the 64MB DataSwap mod applied, and the app list is quick in the drawer as well.

IF you switch to a different rom, then naturally you're going to want to wipe everything before flashing a brand new rom, as not wiping between different kernels/roms/systems is just asking for trouble (though upgrading to a new EliteMod Rom or Kernel usually does not require a wipe unless he specifies it in the change log).

PS: With sd-ext used, you DO NOT move your apps to SD card, as /data/app* is mapped to /sd-ext/app* and you are already using that partition on the SD card for your non-system apps, moving to SD card will instead move it to the FAT32 portion of the card and performance would be noticeably degraded.

The G2/DZ isn't exactly ram friendly for ICS so swapping, whether it be with a mod like DataSwap or a swap partition on your SD card is advised for the best performance, otherwise you run into the sluggishness or forced closes you described when memory starts to cap out.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    They're all good honestly. For AOSP, Virtuous Quattro is heavily outdated, and the rest perform (very) similarly. Camera works, but it hasn't been completely figured out yet. Other than that, it seems like most of the issues have been figured out. In my experience with Andromadus I had absolutely no issues.

For Sense, again, they all perform similarly. They are somewhat faster when compared to the AOSP counterparts, but the camera doesn't work at all. Atm I'm running Sensewich B6 and it's very smooth/fast. No issues so far.

lol, stable release (Beta 2) ;)

As crestofawave said there's only minor differences about performances from one to another and there are only few issues left.
    I'm running CM9 Unofficial and i'm really happy with it. People seem to be happy with the lastest Andromadus too. And if you want Sense, don't hesitate, Sensewich B6 is really good.