[OFFICIAL] Android Lollipop Discussion (Android Lollipop Released)

How many of you will use Android L as your daily driver?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Rahul721

Feb 10, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 FE
Last edited:

jmitr

May 18, 2008
Castlegar
Well, as my phone is an HTC one (M7) with Sense 6 I love how material design closely resembles Sense 6.

Sense 6:

are8a3am.jpg

7a6a9ypu.jpg

Android L:

5ubu6yma.jpg

I am loving this!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jetbruceli

May 8, 2011
Bamberg, Germany
Hey I am having an issue watching the Google io where my YouTube freezes and I have to force close every time it does. I am on stock 4.4.4

forget the thanks button, I want a high five!

Hnk1

Dec 23, 2012
Newcastle Upon Tyne
OnePlus 5
Moto G6
This post is no more updated !

Now just type in and check which apps are working with Lollipop
HERE

For those planning on keeping Android L!

Download link :
https://developer.android.com/preview/setup-sdk.html

Download image and use flash all.bat for windows. Make sure you don't remove -w from flash all.bat as android l needs complete wipe with clean install. All your data /apps on your nexus would be lost! Make sure to make a backup!
Read complete instructions for flashing an image HERE

Apps not working. I'll keep updating !
-Titanium from market, see workaround
-Greenify results in a restart
-Facebook seems to have little issues in like/comments! See workaround
-Es file explorer in root mode
-MX player pro with some decoders
-Beats (some DDR game),
-Beat Hazard Ultra,
-Archos Video Player
-Twitter (Twitter Beta seems to work)
-PPSSPP (only tested it with one game under certain conditions; needs further verification though)
-dropbox UI but app seems to work perfectly
-Firefox,
-Opera,
-Dolphin,
-Flashfox,
- Kindle
- Audible
-XDA app
- Essential Anatomy 3
-Mx Player/BS Player many other crashes at times
-Quickreboot(nothing happens maybe root is not detected by the app.)
-one football

Apps that need a work around

-FX File Explorer w/ Root Add-on doesn't work until you configure it to use the system busybox instead, but after that it seems to work fine.
-Download Titanium Test Built from their twitter or see post 501- 5 on page 51 for link/instructions! Free version is supported now
-Need Quickboot? Download BusyBox Installer by JRummy and use its scripter to boot into recovery/restart etc
-Facebook; downgrade it! download here
-MX player test build works like a charm.
https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/translation/test-build

Kernel working: (root is not fully functional on custom kernels)
-ElementalX works fine 2.13v but battery life extender doesnot work
-Bulletproof 2.2
-Franco (not personally tested)
-Glitch (officially in thread)
Rooting :
You will first need to flash latest twrp [given in link below] (2.7.1.1) and then boot into recovery and flash root.zip in twrp. Update SuperSU from Google play!
Root.zip link
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53715043&postcount=267
For recovery
Recovery links
http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/flo
Or
http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/flo

Download the above file. Turn off your device. Turn on the device and keep holding volume down until a menu shows up. The device will now be in fastboot mode. Plug the device into your computer. If you have the right drivers installed, your screen should now say FASTBOOT USB. Run the following command via the command line:

fastboot flash recovery recoveryfilename.img

Note that you will need to change the last part to match the name of the file that you just downloaded. You will also need adb and fastboot for your computer.
The stock ROM will automatically replace TWRP with the stock recovery. To prevent the stock ROM from replacing TWRP, boot TWRP, go to the mount menu and mount system, press the home button, then press Advanced -> File Manager. Browse to /system and select the file named recovery-from-boot.p then choose to rename the file to recovery-from-boot.bak
PROBLEMS WITH ROOT/BUSYBOX OR ANYTHING SUCH ?
Try this method :

-flash custom boot.img from here CUSTOM BOOT IMAGE
-download recovery from above and flash it using fastboot commands
-flash SuperSU from twrp. Link above

You can use NRT (Wugfresh tool) to execute these commands as well but you will need to choose custom images!

You will not get full root unless you are on busybox 1.22.1 stericson. The system is protected so flash custom boot.IMG/boot.zip via recovery to gain write permissions!
NO GALLERY APP
Surprisingly, there is no gallery app with Android L built in. Install from attachment like normal apk!
Push to system to make it a system app

Attachments

• com.android.gallery3d-762cceadae821a2838fe918a66ac150c.apk.gz
    3.5 MB · Views: 609
Last edited:

ProbyWaN

Feb 17, 2012
Ohio
We will be able to get the preview tomorrow they said. Does that go for everyone with a n7 or developers only?

sscsps

Nov 17, 2013
delhi

Hnk1

Dec 23, 2012
Newcastle Upon Tyne
OnePlus 5
Moto G6
They are gonna provide system images for n5 and n7 on the net, anyone can download, that's what I guess!
Sent from my SM-T211 using XDA Free mobile app

Not exactly. you wouldn't be able to use Android L officially and the images would be released with source code which means the developers can make ROMs out of it too. It would be more like an android tree for devices with changed source code and let developers play with it which would cause improvements before the official L is announced.

I'm also suspecting developers might be able to add/remove/fork codes in device trees. The changes made to source by developers around the world might be accepted after Google's approval.

Also developers would like to see how much they can utilise the new source code and in how many ways it could implemented with customisations and other factors.

In simple words, Google would provide a draft of tennis racquet frame and give instructions which strings / grip could be used but it is up to the individual to utilise ideas to make one perfect racquet accordingly.

Update : anyone who wants to try android L can flash images manually which would be available tomorrow. However no ota updates would be sent until fall(September) when presumably it would be officially available for everyone.

Last edited:

r3pwn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
Not exactly. you wouldn't be able to use Android L officially and the images wouldn't be released but only source code which means the developers can make ROMs out of it. It would be more like an android tree for devices with changed source code and let developers play with it which would cause improvements before the official L is announced.

I'm also suspecting developers might be able to add/remove/fork codes in device trees. The changes made to source by developers around the world might be accepted after Google's approval.

Also developers would like to see how much they can utilise the new source code and in how many ways it could implemented with customisations and other factors.

In simple words, Google would provide a draft of tennis racquet frame and give instructions which strings / grip could be used but it is up to the individual to utilise ideas to make one perfect racquet accordingly.
They specifically said they would be releasing factory images for the Nexus 7 (2013) and the Nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jubomime

sscsps

Nov 17, 2013
delhi
Not exactly. you wouldn't be able to use Android L officially and the images wouldn't be released but only source code which means the developers can make ROMs out of it. It would be more like an android tree for devices with changed source code and let developers play with it which would cause improvements before the official L is announced.

Meaningly we can work on it to port it to any device?

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

They specifically said they would be releasing factory images for the Nexus 7 (2013) and the Nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yes they did, so I guess I would be able to port it to other device too

Hnk1

Dec 23, 2012
Newcastle Upon Tyne
OnePlus 5
Moto G6
Meaningly we can work on it to port it to any device?

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

Yes they did, so I guess I would be able to port it to other device too

If you think porting means, building a ROM for another device with all new features would start tomorrow after source code, I don't think that'd be possible.

Well, to develop for a new android built SOURCE CODE and BINARIES(sort of hardware information) must be available for a device. Source code would be released but I'm not sure if binaries would for other devices.

Porting is sort of transferring some features to another device with similar/almost similar hardware.

I don't think a complete port be possible for other devices, the images would be device specific so some features might not be optimised/utilised by other devices due to hardware limitations .

I however suspect some features might be ported ; and these few ported features be named as Android L for other devices rather than "whole" initially but I guess new code be written for specific hardware (like tegra/snapdragon etc) soon and we would see Android L in a while once hardware binaries are released as well.

It is to be remembered that, the images available would be just an alpha built and thus might contain bugs/lack some key optimisations so it would be wise to wait for it unless you want to experiment.

It also depends on developers who'd be working to write code for other devices but binaries/hardware information must be provided by the manufacturers or it would be impossible to develop.

Last edited:
Reactions: adil089

r3pwn

Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
You all are confusing each other. Let's get the facts straight:
- They will be releasing factory images tomorrow for the Nexus 7 (2013) and Nexus 5.
- They may not release source code until the Fall.
- If the above is true, it will not be possible to port or build for other devices.
- Porting to another device would require the same version of android on that device, which, just won't happen.

atilla88

Jun 3, 2011
Hamburg
What do you guys think about the switch to ART,it seems frameworks like xposed and wanam will have to be rewritten entirely or am I missing something?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

lotherius

Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6
I wonder if they're going to forget Nexus 7 LTE again? I mean, it is a developer device. But Verizon would probably go postal with the idea of a beta OS with access to their network.

MWFD

Dec 14, 2010
Philadelphia
If I'm running Cyanogen Mod latest nightly, is it possible I would be able to flash Android L buid in CWM after factory reset? Or do I have to be on stock ROM?

davexd97

Jun 16, 2013
I don't think it will be a totally working rom and as it uses art as default many apps may not work, but i don't really care, i may not use it for daily use but i really want to see that new UI and try it on my nexus 7 2013, just as everyone wants i guess

Reactions: The3File

sscsps

Nov 17, 2013
delhi
If I'm running Cyanogen Mod latest nightly, is it possible I would be able to flash Android L buid in CWM after factory reset? Or do I have to be on stock ROM?

Well, you won't need to be on stock for installing it, is a complete factory image, it's not any update zip. Ask the custom rom made are actually update zip(s)

You can simply flash the rom from the method appropriate for your device

datallboy

Feb 7, 2013
You will be able to modify the system image so you don't lose your data by taking out a -w parameter in one of the files. Although for major releases and other Roms, you should probably just do a clean flash with the system image, just backup your data.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This post is no more updated !

Now just type in and check which apps are working with Lollipop
    HERE

For those planning on keeping Android L!

Download link :
    https://developer.android.com/preview/setup-sdk.html

Download image and use flash all.bat for windows. Make sure you don't remove -w from flash all.bat as android l needs complete wipe with clean install. All your data /apps on your nexus would be lost! Make sure to make a backup!
    Read complete instructions for flashing an image HERE

Apps not working. I'll keep updating !
    -Titanium from market, see workaround
    -Greenify results in a restart
    -Facebook seems to have little issues in like/comments! See workaround
    -Es file explorer in root mode
    -MX player pro with some decoders
    -Beats (some DDR game),
    -Beat Hazard Ultra,
    -Archos Video Player
    -Twitter (Twitter Beta seems to work)
    -PPSSPP (only tested it with one game under certain conditions; needs further verification though)
    -dropbox UI but app seems to work perfectly
    -Firefox,
    -Opera,
    -Dolphin,
    -Flashfox,
    - Kindle
    - Audible
    -XDA app
    - Essential Anatomy 3
    -Mx Player/BS Player many other crashes at times
    -Quickreboot(nothing happens maybe root is not detected by the app.)
    -one football

Apps that need a work around

-FX File Explorer w/ Root Add-on doesn't work until you configure it to use the system busybox instead, but after that it seems to work fine.
    -Download Titanium Test Built from their twitter or see post 501- 5 on page 51 for link/instructions! Free version is supported now
    -Need Quickboot? Download BusyBox Installer by JRummy and use its scripter to boot into recovery/restart etc
    -Facebook; downgrade it! download here
    -MX player test build works like a charm.
    https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/translation/test-build

Kernel working: (root is not fully functional on custom kernels)
    -ElementalX works fine 2.13v but battery life extender doesnot work
    -Bulletproof 2.2
    -Franco (not personally tested)
    -Glitch (officially in thread)
    Rooting :
    You will first need to flash latest twrp [given in link below] (2.7.1.1) and then boot into recovery and flash root.zip in twrp. Update SuperSU from Google play!
    Root.zip link
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53715043&postcount=267
    For recovery
    Recovery links
    http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/flo
    Or
    http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/flo

Download the above file. Turn off your device. Turn on the device and keep holding volume down until a menu shows up. The device will now be in fastboot mode. Plug the device into your computer. If you have the right drivers installed, your screen should now say FASTBOOT USB. Run the following command via the command line:

fastboot flash recovery recoveryfilename.img

Note that you will need to change the last part to match the name of the file that you just downloaded. You will also need adb and fastboot for your computer.
    The stock ROM will automatically replace TWRP with the stock recovery. To prevent the stock ROM from replacing TWRP, boot TWRP, go to the mount menu and mount system, press the home button, then press Advanced -> File Manager. Browse to /system and select the file named recovery-from-boot.p then choose to rename the file to recovery-from-boot.bak
    PROBLEMS WITH ROOT/BUSYBOX OR ANYTHING SUCH ?
    Try this method :

-flash custom boot.img from here CUSTOM BOOT IMAGE
    -download recovery from above and flash it using fastboot commands
    -flash SuperSU from twrp. Link above

You can use NRT (Wugfresh tool) to execute these commands as well but you will need to choose custom images!

You will not get full root unless you are on busybox 1.22.1 stericson. The system is protected so flash custom boot.IMG/boot.zip via recovery to gain write permissions!
    NO GALLERY APP
    Surprisingly, there is no gallery app with Android L built in. Install from attachment like normal apk!
    Push to system to make it a system app
    Root Android L -100% Working

supersu v2.00
    busybox
    Oh jeez, tomorrow all of the panic people are gonna be back. All saying "I didn't get it yet", what's going on?", "is it here yet?", " oh my god what is wrong with google?", "its so stupid that google does this". These update threads are my favorite. People act like google specially promised them lollipop on a certain day at a certain time and they didn't get it, and their device is going to explode and destroy their lives because of it. Lmao. And when they get it they will be back to complain about the bugs in it. And say " why didn't they just wait until it was ready before they released it?" And all the threads will pop up with the title "Lollipop ruined my tablet".
    Now this is entertainment! Keep it coming. When you're dying for this update just remember that some apps won't run on art, some rooted apps will no longer work, and xposed doesn't work on ART yet. And many other reasons not to want to rush it. Keep in mind we will all have it soon. And not long after, all the things we love will be working properly. This place rocks and all of us together make android worth it. Now all the " can't wait" people need to hurry up and get back in here and get this thread Rollin again!
    Any speculation on final release?

I speculate there will be one.
    Uploading twrp backup

Hey guys I just made a TWRP backup of a fresh install of the L Release Developer Preview!

Currently uploading to Mega so I'll post a link as soon as it´s done... Also, if anyone knows a better client to upload the files tell me please as this is talking a while

Maybe someone will want to try it for MultiRom