Screenshot Shortcut?

Search This thread

BBalz

Jan 30, 2011
Anyone know if there is a shortcut to taking screenshots?

Without having to root and use drocap or shootme. (that's assuming they even work when rooted, which there's been one or two saying it doesn't.)

kenhunt

Sep 4, 2010
Only one way to take screencaps...SDK, works both rooted and non but obviously takes a little knowledge/reading up on. But its not as hard as duplicating Grandma's gravy and biscuits so don't fear too much.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
Kinda sad it requires root or being plugged into a PC to take screen caps. Might be the wrong place to bring it up but I don't think I'm the only one thats kinda irked about this.

RadDudeTommy

Feb 27, 2011
Kinda sad it requires root or being plugged into a PC to take screen caps. Might be the wrong place to bring it up but I don't think I'm the only one thats kinda irked about this.

I know I payed 800 dollars for my Xoom. **** should be better. Media player, well Gallery in general, and this, and more. But I think I'm going to give google till after their first Honeycomb update.

Lets just see what they think is worth fixing first.

This is me assuming screenshots would be built into the os.
I don't think it has to do with the Xoom hardware.
But I could be wrong.

mjpacheco

Jun 11, 2010
So when has screen shots ever been built into the OS? Don't know what the big surprise is. Yes it would be nice, but eventually a root and simple software solution will present itself.

Reactions: slshults

keitht

Dec 21, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
Now that we have a tablet OS which should be moving us closer to netbook replacement, it would be a nice feature to have without the need to root and have an external application. I take screenshots on my Windows machine every single day. We need to stop having a phone OS mentality and starting thinking tablet OS which is different. So yes, that would be a nice feature to have built in to Honeycomb.

FuzeAction

Aug 25, 2009
Now that we have a tablet OS which should be moving us closer to netbook replacement, it would be a nice feature to have without the need to root and have an external application. I take screenshots on my Windows machine every single day. We need to stop having a phone OS mentality and starting thinking tablet OS which is different. So yes, that would be a nice feature to have built in to Honeycomb.

Given the limited amount of hardware toggles on the Xoom, how would you suggest ScreenCapping be implemented? I'm not being condescending, I'm curious as to your thoughts.

ShootMe takes your cap by shaking your device. This seems logical because it wouldn't regurie anything as far as a UI.

If we ever receive extension support for the browser it seems adding a button to the toolbar would work, however that would limit caps to the browser only.

Anyone else have any ideas?

keitht

Dec 21, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
Given the limited amount of hardware toggles on the Xoom, how would you suggest ScreenCapping be implemented? I'm not being condescending, I'm curious as to your thoughts.

ShootMe takes your cap by shaking your device. This seems logical because it wouldn't regurie anything as far as a UI.

If we ever receive extension support for the browser it seems adding a button to the toolbar would work, however that would limit caps to the browser only.

Anyone else have any ideas?

I am not a UI designer but there are probably many ways to do this. Long press screen, Print Screen in keyboard, add another system button to the taskbar on bottom, etc. In Windows, you just press the print screen button to copy to the clipboard. It can't be that difficult to implement something similar in Honeycomb. Once in the clipboard, you paste it to whatever application has focus. UI designers for Honeycomb can certainly figure out something this simple.

HalfMoon

Oct 8, 2007
So when has screen shots ever been built into the OS? Don't know what the big surprise is. Yes it would be nice, but eventually a root and simple software solution will present itself.

Samsung added it in the Galaxy Tab (which surprised me when I found out). On the Galaxy tab if you hold the back button and press the power button you get a screenshot, no root needed.

Reactions: td1320

mjpacheco

Jun 11, 2010
Samsung added it in the Galaxy Tab (which surprised me when I found out). On the Galaxy tab if you hold the back button and press the power button you get a screenshot, no root needed.

Correct, it was a Samsung add-on, not in the base OS.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a great thing for google to just throw in there and obviously it is very doable, and I do not know why it is not just part of the OS already.

kenhunt

Sep 4, 2010

Google has added it native in 2.3.3 so it wouldn't surprise me if it comes in a honeycomb update.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt (That means this post never happened right?)

slshults

Dec 1, 2007
The inability to take screenshots without root or the sdk is a known issue to Android users.

The ability was added in Gingerbread. (I'm not allowed to post links yet but go to phandroid.com and search for a post by Kevin Krause on March 1st, 2011 at 7:35 am for details.) Samsung is the only dev to make use of the option so far (afaik) and only on gingerbread devices.

If you want an app that takes screenshots without root or the SDK, the option is there for you to develop such an app if you don't want to wait for someone else to do it.

Oh, and be sure to post a link to your apk for us when you're done. Thanks.

td1320

Dec 5, 2008

The Galaxy Tab has screen capture right out the box. Hold the back button and press the power button and it takes a screen capture and even puts it in the folder named screen capture. Just sayin.

parityodd

May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
That is one thing Apple did get right on the iPhone and iPad: press and hold the "Home" button at center bottom, then press and release the "power" button on top.

This made it really easy to create documentation at work... Android could have used a combination of one of the volume buttons and the power button. which would come in handy when either creating documentation on how to do something or for instructing users to send a screen shot of an error they are seeing...

my $0.02

nforsans

Jul 23, 2005
London, UK
Asus eee pad TF has had the screenshot function enabled out of the box. Is that an Asus add-on? I thought it was part of HC...

Arun01

Feb 6, 2011
I use screenshot er & it places an icon at the bottom of the screen.Simply tap & voila!

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.