[Nook HD] CM10.1 native EMMCNow part of CM nightliies

Search This thread

verygreen

Feb 13, 2011
TN
linuxhacker.ru
By popular demand, I am bringing to you CM10.1 that you can install into Nook's internal ROM.

Note, this version totally overwrites your ROM, so back up everything important before proceeding. This is not a dual-boot solution, you do loose B&N ROM for good after installing this.
This is work in progress, yadda yadda.

Follow this install guide substituting various filenames with filenames below if you don't understand the below instructions

Get nookhd-emmc-cwm.img.gz, gunzip and write it to an sdcard of at least 1G in size (all content on that card will be lost). (use dd under Linux and MacOS, use Win32DiskImager or similar tool under Windows, use 7zip under windows to unpack).

Download CWM recovery zip if you want internal recovery to be replaced with CM one (if you don't know what is it about, then you need it). As another option there's a graphical TWRP recovery available. (you can only have one recovery option)

Also download latest nightly from http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=hummingbird

You can write installation zips for recovery, cm binary + whatever else you need and transfer them to Nook user storage (if you have it activated and all), OR add all these files + whatever other packages you might need right away on to the sdcard.

Insert sdcard into Nook and reboot the Nook, next install recovery (if desired) and the cm10.1 binary and whatever else you put there.
Use Install zip from sdcard, if you copied installation zips to sdcard, otherwise use "choose zip from internal sdcard" - both options are in "Unstall update from zip file".

Erase /data (only on initial install, this is important to avoid crashes on bootup! Naturally, make sure you have copies of whatever important info from there before you remove).

Remove the sdcard from the Nook. You might need to use this sdcard for your recovery needs in the future should EMMC content become badly damaged, so probably a good idea to have a copy of it somewhere.

Congrats, now on reboot you'll get into cm10.1 on your Nook HD.
When you need to get into recovery, you can either do "reboot to recovery" in reboot menu (need to enable that in settings) or reboot the nook, and when you see original nook boot logo, press and hold power + home buttons for about 4 seconds.

If you plan to use USB Host feature, you will need a gender changer, as B&N decided not to release a special cable so far. The control to enable USBHost is in quick settings panel (slide down in the top right corner of the screen to bring it up).

Known problems:
- Nook app reports incompatible in market (workaround1: just sideload it ; workaround2: change ro.product.device to nookhd in build.prop) - This is because they specifically blacklist Nooks! For workaround #2, revert the value back to hummingbird when done installing, otherwise you'll lose sound.
- Certain sdcards still remain unstable.
- Google Earth crashes when you press "my location" button, but works fine otherwise.

Changelog:
13/08/09 - We are part of official CM and latest nightly from here is what you should get now: http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=hummingbird
13/08/01 - cm-10.1-20130801-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
- Data usage statistics should now work
13/07/19 - cm-10.1-20130719-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip (backup link)
- Update wifi drivers to R5.SP3.06
- Kernel with initial charger control for the charger app to work
- Picked some kernel fixes from omapzoom tree that I think would be useful for us too, this includes some voltage changes (decreases).
- Disabled hwui scissors optimization as it seems to be doing more harm than good.
13/07/11 - cm-10.1-20130712-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip (backup link)
- Added Apple keyboard support
- Updated to CM-10.1.2 for security fixes
13/07/10 - cm-10.1-20130710-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
- Rebased on cm-10.1.1 for security fixes.
13/07/08 - cm-10.1-20130708-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
- ExFAT and NTFS support from upstream
13/07/06 - cm-10.1-20130706-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
- revert accidentally applies frequency bump patch that made it into 07/04
13/07/04 - cm-10.1-20130704-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
- upgraded to fixed SGX DDK 1.9@2291151 (this fixes Google Earth, and a bunch of games)
13/07/03 - cm-10.1-20130703-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
- usb ids changed to match stock
- swap support enabled
13/06/30 - cm-10.1-20130630-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
- Serial number is now visible in Android
- usb audio now actually works (only for output)
13/06/29 - cm-10.1-20130629-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
- Experimental kernel work
- enabled 1.5GHz freq by default
- in-kernel bluetooth
13/06/24 - cm-10.1-20130624-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
- more kernel drivers for bt hid, usb 3g modems and gps devices
13/06/15 - cm-10.1-20130615-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
- WiFi Direct and BT tethering are now working
- /sdcard now points to internal storage.
13/06/13 - cm-10.1-20130613-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
- Boosted speaker and headset audio levels.
- gfx cash on startup fixed
- Zinio now works out of the box
13/06/12 - cm-10.1-20130612-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
- Fixed HDMI audio
- Fixed HDMI video upside-down picture
- Added usb audio support
- Enabled tabbed view in Settings app.
13/06/10 - cm-10.1-20130611-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
- Initial release

This is unrelated development to bokbokan's sdcard/hybrid install, because he does not make his source code available, so don't ask me to pick features from his build.

Last edited:

dubidu

Apr 19, 2006
UK
Sweet!!!!!!
Will test it out.
I guess this means we will have access to a working repo soon so we all can start building from source.

verygreen

Feb 13, 2011
TN
linuxhacker.ru
New binary release: cm-10.1-20130612-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
Changes:
- Fixed HDMI audio
- Enabled tabbed view in Settings app. (This seems to be looking ok, but if you find it's too bad, let me know and we certainly can try to roll it back or only have it for landscape or some other stuff).

9v9

Jul 26, 2010
Underground
AMAZING! I just wanted to cruise by the forums because I was bored with nothing new until I see this post! Awesome work is all I can say. Does this mean no more reboot restores with /system and complete control and customization of the device without the unlocked bootloader?

dubidu

Apr 19, 2006
UK
Haven't look at the code yet, but I believe if you change "ro.product.device" in "build.prop" you will loose all the sound.
Can someone test it?

LAYGO

Jul 7, 2010
Niiiiice! Thanks, been waiting on this.

Now, quick question: There is a stock ROM to flash, right? I just exchanged another HD & it was easy enough to just remove the SD card. I've only had this HD a week.

Thanks!

Oh yeah, I remember now: Yes, there is.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2062613

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Niiiiice! Thanks, been waiting on this.

Now, quick question: There is a stock ROM to flash, right? I just exchanged another HD & it was easy enough to just remove the SD card. I've only had this HD a week.

Thanks!
This is a ROM to replace the stock on emmc. You should back up your stock first. E.mote has an excellent tutorial that verygreen links in his OP here. Then you can restore that backup to get back to stock if you need to return it.

Edit: Guide is here. Just substitute the files from the OP instead of the ones listed in the guide:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42399961

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10.1 on emmc.

Last edited:

LAYGO

Jul 7, 2010
This is a ROM to replace the stock on emmc. You should back up your stock first. E.mote has an excellent tutorial that verygreen links in his OP here. Then you can restore that backup to get back to stock if you need to return it.

Edit: Guide is here. Just substitute the files from the OP instead of the ones listed in the guide:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42399961

I guess I wasn't clear in my question (too early). I just needed to know if there was a stock ROM to flash back to stock in case I had to return it. Of course, I could just Nandroid my stock install too (DUH, didn't think about that, just like you said).

shenandoah2

Oct 3, 2010
Updating to latest ROM?

Folks,

I picked up a Nook HD+ 16Gb last night and followed the guide to install CM10.1. Everything went smoothly. A big THANK YOU to verygreen and lepinlar for all the work in creating this and the guides/instructions on how to install.

I've got a couple questions:

I installed the cm-10.1-20130608-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-emmc ROM and have made some changes on the tablet (added my daughters as Users, downloaded some apps, etc). How would I go about upgrading to the cm-10.1-20130612-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc ROM? Would I lose the changes I've already made? Is there way to install/upgrade to the new ROM and keep the changes I've already made? Thanks.

Shenandoah

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Folks,

I picked up a Nook HD+ 16Gb last night and followed the guide to install CM10.1. Everything went smoothly. A big THANK YOU to verygreen and lepinlar for all the work in creating this and the guides/instructions on how to install.

I've got a couple questions:

I installed the cm-10.1-20130608-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-emmc ROM and have made some changes on the tablet (added my daughters as Users, downloaded some apps, etc). How would I go about upgrading to the cm-10.1-20130612-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc ROM? Would I lose the changes I've already made? Is there way to install/upgrade to the new ROM and keep the changes I've already made? Thanks.

Shenandoah
First you do not want to flash that ROM to your HD+. If you look at the filenames you will see ovation (which means HD+) and hummingbird (which means HD). But if you want to upgrade to a newer ovation ROM, just flash the newer ROM over the top of your old ROM. It will keep all your changes you've made.

shenandoah2

Oct 3, 2010
Lepinlar,

Sorry about the post. I didn't read it close enough to realize it was for the HD (not the HD+). Should I delete my original post so it doesn't confuse anyone else?

Shenandoah

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Lepinlar,

Sorry about the post. I didn't read it close enough to realize it was for the HD (not the HD+). Should I delete my original post so it doesn't confuse anyone else?

Shenandoah
No, it might actually help others users who are confused by the issue. Leave it there as originally posted.

MZille

Feb 17, 2013
San Francisco
Awesome ROM, thanks for doing this. Battery life vs stock is amazing, UI looks much better, more customizable, great having root to back up apps and etc.

I had a small issue with the 06/08 build on my HD+ where the battery would not recharge. Power cycling (turning it off and then on again) seemed to fix it. Is anyone seeing this issue with this 06/12 build? Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    By popular demand, I am bringing to you CM10.1 that you can install into Nook's internal ROM.

Note, this version totally overwrites your ROM, so back up everything important before proceeding. This is not a dual-boot solution, you do loose B&N ROM for good after installing this.
    This is work in progress, yadda yadda.

Follow this install guide substituting various filenames with filenames below if you don't understand the below instructions

Get nookhd-emmc-cwm.img.gz, gunzip and write it to an sdcard of at least 1G in size (all content on that card will be lost). (use dd under Linux and MacOS, use Win32DiskImager or similar tool under Windows, use 7zip under windows to unpack).

Download CWM recovery zip if you want internal recovery to be replaced with CM one (if you don't know what is it about, then you need it). As another option there's a graphical TWRP recovery available. (you can only have one recovery option)

Also download latest nightly from http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=hummingbird

You can write installation zips for recovery, cm binary + whatever else you need and transfer them to Nook user storage (if you have it activated and all), OR add all these files + whatever other packages you might need right away on to the sdcard.

Insert sdcard into Nook and reboot the Nook, next install recovery (if desired) and the cm10.1 binary and whatever else you put there.
    Use Install zip from sdcard, if you copied installation zips to sdcard, otherwise use "choose zip from internal sdcard" - both options are in "Unstall update from zip file".

Erase /data (only on initial install, this is important to avoid crashes on bootup! Naturally, make sure you have copies of whatever important info from there before you remove).

Remove the sdcard from the Nook. You might need to use this sdcard for your recovery needs in the future should EMMC content become badly damaged, so probably a good idea to have a copy of it somewhere.

Congrats, now on reboot you'll get into cm10.1 on your Nook HD.
    When you need to get into recovery, you can either do "reboot to recovery" in reboot menu (need to enable that in settings) or reboot the nook, and when you see original nook boot logo, press and hold power + home buttons for about 4 seconds.

If you plan to use USB Host feature, you will need a gender changer, as B&N decided not to release a special cable so far. The control to enable USBHost is in quick settings panel (slide down in the top right corner of the screen to bring it up).

Known problems:
    - Nook app reports incompatible in market (workaround1: just sideload it ; workaround2: change ro.product.device to nookhd in build.prop) - This is because they specifically blacklist Nooks! For workaround #2, revert the value back to hummingbird when done installing, otherwise you'll lose sound.
    - Certain sdcards still remain unstable.
    - Google Earth crashes when you press "my location" button, but works fine otherwise.

Changelog:
    13/08/09 - We are part of official CM and latest nightly from here is what you should get now: http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=hummingbird
    13/08/01 - cm-10.1-20130801-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
    - Data usage statistics should now work
    13/07/19 - cm-10.1-20130719-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip (backup link)
    - Update wifi drivers to R5.SP3.06
    - Kernel with initial charger control for the charger app to work
    - Picked some kernel fixes from omapzoom tree that I think would be useful for us too, this includes some voltage changes (decreases).
    - Disabled hwui scissors optimization as it seems to be doing more harm than good.
    13/07/11 - cm-10.1-20130712-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip (backup link)
    - Added Apple keyboard support
    - Updated to CM-10.1.2 for security fixes
    13/07/10 - cm-10.1-20130710-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
    - Rebased on cm-10.1.1 for security fixes.
    13/07/08 - cm-10.1-20130708-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
    - ExFAT and NTFS support from upstream
    13/07/06 - cm-10.1-20130706-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
    - revert accidentally applies frequency bump patch that made it into 07/04
    13/07/04 - cm-10.1-20130704-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
    - upgraded to fixed SGX DDK 1.9@2291151 (this fixes Google Earth, and a bunch of games)
    13/07/03 - cm-10.1-20130703-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
    - usb ids changed to match stock
    - swap support enabled
    13/06/30 - cm-10.1-20130630-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
    - Serial number is now visible in Android
    - usb audio now actually works (only for output)
    13/06/29 - cm-10.1-20130629-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
    - Experimental kernel work
    - enabled 1.5GHz freq by default
    - in-kernel bluetooth
    13/06/24 - cm-10.1-20130624-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
    - more kernel drivers for bt hid, usb 3g modems and gps devices
    13/06/15 - cm-10.1-20130615-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
    - WiFi Direct and BT tethering are now working
    - /sdcard now points to internal storage.
    13/06/13 - cm-10.1-20130613-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
    - Boosted speaker and headset audio levels.
    - gfx cash on startup fixed
    - Zinio now works out of the box
    13/06/12 - cm-10.1-20130612-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
    - Fixed HDMI audio
    - Enabled tabbed view in Settings app.
    13/06/10 - cm-10.1-20130611-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
    - Initial release

This is unrelated development to bokbokan's sdcard/hybrid install, because he does not make his source code available, so don't ask me to pick features from his build.
    So does that mean we should just download from CM? Or continue to get built here?
    From now on cm stream s going to be the official source, I am not going to roll my own emmc builts unless there's some experimental change that would need testing before going mainstream, I think.
    New experimental build

Changes:
    - Switched to in-kernel bluetooth, silenced bt-related logcat spam.
    - Different base in TI omapzoom kernel, might have a tiny effect on gfx performance
    - Unlocked 1.5GHz for cpu and 500MHz for IVA (IVA is used for things like video decoding) (the cpus seems to be totally hte same, so I don't see any stability concerns with the extra speed, but let me know if you have any).
    - ZRAM module enabled

cm-10.1-20130629-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
    New binary release: cm-10.1-20130612-UNOFFICIAL-hummingbird-emmc.zip
    Changes:
    - Fixed HDMI audio
    - Enabled tabbed view in Settings app. (This seems to be looking ok, but if you find it's too bad, let me know and we certainly can try to roll it back or only have it for landscape or some other stuff).
    @verygreen Just sent you a PM with information on how to modify GPU frequencies for Ovation, maybe it helps to improve the UI performance.
    I don't think it's all that easy, I already looked into it.
    bb2d core is clocked off the fixed clock dpll_per with a pretty rigid set of dividers, so there's not much we can do there.
    There is a possibility to switch dpll_per to another fixed clock, dpll_core that's about 4% faster, but that's about it (and so far the kernel seem to favor in-hardware setup, even though the code says otherwise).
    Very similar picture with sgx core too.
    I imagine I need to take another close look at trm to see if there are useful dividers we might use.

One area I had high hope for is the l3 hub, all the data travels through there, at the default divider of 2 it's working at 233MHz which is is about 900megabytes/sec it seems. The register settings seem to allow a divider of 1 which would give us 466MHz, though when I tried it once, it did not finish booting hanging somewhere on the way.