[Q] Kindle Fire HD - wireless will not turn on

Search This thread

JArch3r

Aug 17, 2010
In an attempt to install TWRP to my TATE device, I seemed to have broken the ability to enable wireless (it is toggled off, grayed out, and cannot be enabled).

I followed the steps from here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128848) but did not want to install CWM. Wireless did work on my rooted Kindle before these steps were taken.
The steps that were taken causing it to no longer work are:

1. Install the stack override in /system:
Code:
adb push stack /sdcard/
adb shell su -c "dd if=/sdcard/stack of=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system bs=6519488 seek=1"

2. Stop the auto recovery update script:
Code:
adb shell su -c "mount -o remount,rw ext4 /system"
adb shell su -c "mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak"
adb shell su -c "mount -o remount,ro ext4 /system"

3. Flashing uncorrupted bootloader, boot, recovery:
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader kfhd7-u-boot-prod-7.2.3.bin
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot kfhd7-freedom-boot-7.4.6.img
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery kfhd7-twrp-2.6.3.1-recovery.img
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

The recovery did install correctly as I could boot into TWRP and create a backup. I also created a backup before the entire process using adb. What should I do to enable wireless? Thank you.

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
The recovery did install correctly as I could boot into TWRP and create a backup. I also created a backup before the entire process using adb. What should I do to enable wireless? Thank you.

If it were me I would factory reset and try again. You can use the nandroid backup you made beforehand as well. When ever wifi goes hinky a factory reset seems to be the best solution.

Reactions: JArch3r

JArch3r

Aug 17, 2010
If it were me I would factory reset and try again. You can use the nandroid backup you made beforehand as well. When ever wifi goes hinky a factory reset seems to be the best solution.

Thank you for the solid advice. I discovered the issue arose from blindly following the instructions in the thread -- it said to use kfhd7-freedom-boot-7.4.6.img instead of the applicable version. I googled and found the 7.2.3 version on HashCode's goo.im page, repeated all of the steps using it, and wireless works perfectly now.

In my searches of trying to solve the problem, I discovered users with the same issue. Kindle Fire (HD) users unavailable to connect to wifi and "MAC address unavailable." Running idme /? in a terminal on the device states "Could not open /dev/block/mmcb1k0! Can't read the idme." I believe they would benefit from reading this.

Last edited:
Reactions: LinearEquation

crustysmooth

Dec 28, 2013
Thank you for the solid advice. I discovered the issue arose from blindly following the instructions in the thread -- it said to use kfhd7-freedom-boot-7.4.6.img instead of the applicable version. I googled and found the 7.2.3 version on HashCode's goo.im page, repeated all of the steps using it, and wireless works perfectly now.

In my searches of trying to solve the problem, I discovered users with the same issue. Kindle Fire (HD) users unavailable to connect to wifi and "MAC address unavailable." Running idme /? in a terminal on the device states "Could not open /dev/block/mmcb1k0! Can't read the idme." I believe they would benefit from reading this.

I am having the same exact problem. can you post a link to repair info you are referring to above. Thanks

ant0xaUA

Dec 2, 2015
Excuse me, but can you provide download link for kfhd7-freedom-boot-7.2.3.img ?
google didn't help :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.