Official update to ICS for Galaxy R

Search This thread

xlm13x

Mar 4, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
Totaly agreed, samoled sucks (even s iii will come with amoled pentile :mad:, s ii comes with samoled+ which is much better than pentile samoled)

Sent from my GT-I9103 using Tapatalk 2

M

m.kochan10

I played little bit with One S today and to be honest....it's much brighter than SAMOLED+ on S2. The angle is ok. I do not consider it as a disadvantage, and guys from phonearena counted it as HTC's advantage over S2. I am not expert at screens :)

Super Clear LCD is a really great screen, I would say the best for sunny days, and like cooleagle said it doesn't drain that much battery like SAMOLED.

Last edited:
M

m.kochan10

I don't know yet. It's still under consideration :) A lot of threads about problems to study ;)

enkelad

Dec 18, 2011
if you're thinking about One S u should check the right amount of user available internal memory. i'm reading reviews from (alleged) owners that it has only 8.9gb storage and of course no sd slot. which is way... way too little. if it's true, u shold check

'cooleagle'

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 19, 2012
if you're thinking about One S u should check the right amount of user available internal memory. i'm reading reviews from (alleged) owners that it has only 8.9gb storage and of course no sd slot. which is way... way too little. if it's true, u shold check

That's also true.

Here's what GSM arena says: "The non-expandable memory is either a non-issue (you get 2GB for apps and 10GB for storage) or a deal-breaker, depending on how you use the phone."

That 8.9 GB might be the effectively available user available memory which truly handicaps the handset.

M

m.kochan10

If it was 32 gb of internal memory I wouldn't hesitate. To be honest....if S2 had HOS' CPU/GPU I'd really consider it much better option for someone that likes to modify his/her device.

'cooleagle'

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 19, 2012
For guys looking for HTC One S in India don't wait, email HTC enquiring about when will it be available.

I saw a response by HTC recently in which they said they are not sure if HTC One S will launch in India and if it does then they don't have any dates for it, so don't count on it. ;)

Last edited:
M

m.kochan10

I've been reading general section and users opinions about One S and I am getting really sceptic. With the exception of great CPU/GPU and camera this phone seems to be really far away from solid. I guess Desire line were the last reliable phones released by HTC. Both One X and One S have typical for this brand issues: data signal dropouts, random reboots, problems with gps, (One X has moreover a problem with dead pixels) etc. Seriously I guess I'll wait for S2's price to fall. Right now I cannot find a better phone for me. I'd take S3 but the screen size 4,8" is way too big and the price....ushh no go for now.
One day without android and I am getting crazy :p

'cooleagle'

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 19, 2012
@mkochan

Since you have used many HTC handsets in the past can you explain me in brief what is this S-ON / S-OFF ?

& how different/difficult compared to Samsung is the rooting & flashing process in HTC ?

vipul12389mehta

Feb 27, 2012
Mumbai
If s2 is not your choice then you can go for sony xperia s or moto droid razor....
All three are in d same price range

Razor has d best battery life..

Sent from my GT-I9103 using XDA

M

m.kochan10

Not that many HTC ;)
S-ON /S-OFF stand for Security ON /OFF. Using other words it's locked/unlocked bootloader. With S-ON you're simply unable to flash anything but stock rom (asks for signature). Forget about flashing custom recovery or root.
I remember first root on HTC LEgend running stock android 2.2 (froyo). To root you had to: downgrade bootloader (to the one that came with eclair), and then accomplish two different quite stressful steps.
To root incredible s, I had to used first very nice device, called xtc-clip- perfect to create gold card (oh yes...:) Sd-card u could use to flash stuff via bootloader) and most of all to remove - S-ON. (unfortunately it was irreversible process, and it could void your warrantee) Once you got SOFF u could flash everything u wanted :)
On samsung devices you can flash everything via Odin, but it increases download counter. On HTC, Motorola and Sony u must first unlock bootloader - which is irreversible if you do it via manufacturer website (or using xtc-clip mentioned above). If you for example damage your cpu with oc, manufacturer can deny guarantee. The major difference is this open bootloader and possibility to flash both .tar (odin) and .zip (cwm) on samsung phones, while these are exclusively zips on HTC.
On HTC u must unlock bootloader -> flash cwm (via bootloader) -> flash su via cwm.
On Samsung you must either flash insecure kernel, or cwm via odin -> flash su via cwm. Sammies are thus more root-friendly devices :)
There was very clever group of devs (unrevoked & alpharev) that created "soffing" tool called revolutionary http://revolutionary.io/ . It can SOFF your HTC (if it is supported, The ONE line is still not) and revert SON. I managed to do that on Incredible S for one user.

Thus this is also an important thing if you plan to buy an android device and want to fiddle with it. Sammy seems perfect here. I wonder how is gonna look on S3. I can bet that usb jig won't work there ;)

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

After longer review...I'm not sure if I'm not gonna apologize S2. One S is too expensive compromise. Xperia S - beautiful high res, LCD screen but I don't really like the design and devs support is not better than on our SGR. But there is one Sony model coming out in june in Japan, I think very interesting design - 3,7" and dual core 1,5 snapdragon. I would really like to test it.

http://www.cod4boards.com/forum/sho...a-and-4-6-inch-HD-display-joined-by-Xperia-SX

Last edited:

xlm13x

Mar 4, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
xperia sx in decent phone. awesome looks, 1.5ghz dual core(i think it will be a15 s4 chip), ics ready and main thing its only 95 grams :eek:
but i dont like its display its really small. only 3.7 inch. atleast 4 inch is must for a comfortable use of touch screen.
xperia gx is also good 13mpix camera :eek: with 4.6 inch hd display (too big for me :D)
both device supports LTE so u can say its quite feature proof for 4g (just recent lte launched in few cities of india and very few phones in indian markets have lte support).
asGSMARENA NEWS says FOR JAPAN i doubt that international variant will come or not, and will have lte or not :confused:

@m.kochan10 XPERIA ION watch out this device it packs decent feature and price tag of 440 USD (cheap than current s2 price)

EDIT: sorry ion is at&t exclusive device :(

Last edited:

'cooleagle'

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 19, 2012
Xperia GX & Xperia SX have solid specs but then don't you think you'll find the screen of SX at 3.7" pretty small as you are coming from 4.3" ? Moreover its Japan only so expect lesser devs working on that handset.

One interesting point is that those are the first handsets from Sony which don't have touch-sensitive buttons, which is one of the reasons its looking better than the international handsets of Sony. It looks like they had the SX design in mind and they superimposed those capacitive buttons over that design and voila you have Xperia S, a good design wasted. :banghead:

The design of GX (a la Arc) is also miles ahead of the current flagship Xperia S.

'cooleagle'

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 19, 2012
xperia sx in decent phone. awesome looks, 1.5ghz dual core(i think it will be a15 s4 chip), ics ready and main thing its only 95 grams :eek:
but i dont like its display its really small. only 3.7 inch. atleast 4 inch is must for a comfortable use of touch screen.
xperia gx is also good 13mpix camera :eek: with 4.6 inch hd display (too big for me :D)
both device supports LTE so u can say its quite feature proof for 4g (just recent lte launched in few cities of india and very few phones in indian markets have lte support).
asGSMARENA NEWS says FOR JAPAN i doubt that international variant will come or not, and will have lte or not :confused:

@m.kochan10 XPERIA ION watch out this device it packs decent feature and price tag of 440 USD (cheap than current s2 price)

EDIT: sorry ion is at&t exclusive device :(

The international LTE devices may not work in India as we are not sure on which frequency bands will LTE operate in India.

M

m.kochan10

Xperia GX & Xperia SX have solid specs but then don't you think you'll find the screen of SX at 3.7" pretty small as you are coming from 4.3" ? Moreover its Japan only so expect lesser devs working on that handset.

One interesting point is that those are the first handsets from Sony which don't have touch-sensitive buttons, which is one of the reasons its looking better than the international handsets of Sony. It looks like they had the SX design in mind and they superimposed those capacitive buttons over that design and voila you have Xperia S, a good design wasted. :banghead:

The design of GX (a la Arc) is also miles ahead of the current flagship Xperia S.

Agree! You may be right that I'd possibly find 3,7" screen too little, but still I think the design of sx is really nice, and I don't say I'd love to have it as my own first device but at least play with it - small and powerful at the same time ;)

Top Liked Posts