Android 4.2 Wireless display question

Search This thread

siratfus

Dec 28, 2011
I was messing around with the wireless display feature of my tablet and I realized that I could mirror to my tv because I have an android box connected to it that is also running 4.2. My question is does it matter what OS my android box is running at? The fact that it's also 4.2, is that a coincidence or a necessity?

Also, it sucks. Very slow, super duper lag. Do you think a dedicated Miracast dongle would improve the performance?

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
I was messing around with the wireless display feature of my tablet and I realized that I could mirror to my tv because I have an android box connected to it that is also running 4.2. My question is does it matter what OS my android box is running at? The fact that it's also 4.2, is that a coincidence or a necessity?

Also, it sucks. Very slow, super duper lag. Do you think a dedicated Miracast dongle would improve the performance?
As I understand it Miracast isn't supported earlier than Android 4.2 aka JellyBean+
I wasn't aware you could go device-to-device. If so, that's pretty cool!

I'd investigate but the only Miracast-capable device I have is my phone (running 4.3) - other devices I have access to are all 4.1 or earlier. :(

siratfus

Dec 28, 2011
As I understand it Miracast isn't supported earlier than Android 4.2 aka JellyBean+
I wasn't aware you could go device-to-device. If so, that's pretty cool!

I'd investigate but the only Miracast-capable device I have is my phone (running 4.3) - other devices I have access to are all 4.1 or earlier. :(

So when you turn on the wireless display of your 4.3 phone, it doesn't pick up your 4.1 phones?

Now that I think about it, I have other smartphones in the house too. It doesn't seem them. So yeah, I guess both transmitter and receiver has to be 4.2 and up.

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Yeah same situation here. The 4.1 Samsung has AllShare but the 4.1 Toshiba tablet got nothin.
Either way, neither have Miracast.

-= this post enhanced with bonus mobile typos =-

Last edited:

rkirmeier

Jun 18, 2010

Are you sure you are using the Android box to do the mirroring? I'm almost positive this functionality is not available yet (mirror to another Android device). Are you sure you TV does not have Miracast built in?

siratfus

Dec 28, 2011
Are you sure you are using the Android box to do the mirroring? I'm almost positive this functionality is not available yet (mirror to another Android device). Are you sure you TV does not have Miracast built in?

Positive. The tv is not "smart." Plus what else can it be since I'm playing with the Android Box? What I mean is my Android Box uses HDMI input 2. If the TV is doing the mirror display, wouldn't I need to change the input source and get out of HDMI input 2? The Android Box has an app that I have to go through, and it would say "Waiting for the Renderer..." On my tablet, under wireless display, I see the Android Box, I hit connect. The Android Box then says something to the effect.. "Receiving display request..."

Then it mirrors, but it completely sucks. Sometimes it won't even mirror and the TV would just keep saying "Receiving display request.." forever.

rkirmeier

Jun 18, 2010
Positive. The tv is not "smart." Plus what else can it be since I'm playing with the Android Box? What I mean is my Android Box uses HDMI input 2. If the TV is doing the mirror display, wouldn't I need to change the input source and get out of HDMI input 2? The Android Box has an app that I have to go through, and it would say "Waiting for the Renderer..." On my tablet, under wireless display, I see the Android Box, I hit connect. The Android Box then says something to the effect.. "Receiving display request..."

Then it mirrors, but it completely sucks. Sometimes it won't even mirror and the TV would just keep saying "Receiving display request.." forever.

What is the app?