[Q] Unknown PIN - recovery of device

Search This thread

LondonDropper

Dec 25, 2012
Hi all

I'm attempting to fix a Nexus 7 2012 for a family member. I know that they never used a PIN previously and have been told that the PIN lock was activated when browsing the web and pressing the volume up button. Naturally I'm absolutely baffled as to how that set a PIN code but that's apparently what happened. Is there any Android malware that could have been downloaded which could cause this?

Either way, I've used a variety of resources to attempt to recover the device WITHOUT resorting to a factory reset (which I would like to avoid if possible), however I've reached an impasse so decided to ask about my specific case directly. At this stage I'd be happy to just find a way to somehow remotely backup the device so that the appdata etc. could be restored following a factory reset.
Here are the routes I've eliminated so far:

• As this is a PIN code the option to login after 5 incorrect attempts is not available (that's for pattern locks only, unfortunately).

• The Android Device Manager has not been set up with this device for Remote Wipe & Lock so I cannot change the PIN code remotely in this manner. Nor are there any other installed apps which would be of any similar use according to the list of installed apps on the corresponding Google Account.

• Screen Lock Bypass Pro is incompatible with the device according to Google so I can't install that remotely from the Google Play store. Plus I don't know of any way to sideload it given the below two points (even if that were safe to do given that it's "incompatible"). This would have been sufficient to disable the lock screen long enough to back up the device using say Titanium Backup before wiping & restoring.

• USB Debugging is not enabled which means I cannot do anything via ADB. Nor am I therefore able to backup by any means I've looked at thus far.
  • The bootloader is locked. To unlock you need to wipe the device, which as I mentioned above I want to avoid. This means I can't use a custom recovery to turn on USB Debugging and use ADB to load Aroma File Manager in order to delete the password database files.

So, I would like to know a way to do any of the following without a factory reset:

• Remotely enable USB Debugging.

• Remotely install Screen Lock Bypass Pro.

• Backup the device.

• Any other method to achieve the backup of the device or a PIN code reset that I'm currently ignorant about.

Please let me know if this is just impossible. I realise that the PIN code is there for a reason however I'm being persistent in case I'm overlooking something simple. Thanks in advance!

NB: Apologies but I can't yet include any URLs. Please let me know if you need any of my sources for the above information and I'll see what I can do.

TheLastSidekick

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
Apart from sending a password request to your Gmail or linked email, unfortunately I don't think you can do anything without wiping. If it's a 4 digit pin code try guessing the basics. 1234, 0000, 4321,etc.

The Nexus 5 advocate (Team Inferno)

LondonDropper

Dec 25, 2012
Apart from sending a password request to your Gmail or linked email, unfortunately I don't think you can do anything without wiping. If it's a 4 digit pin code try guessing the basics. 1234, 0000, 4321,etc.

I have the Google Account e-mail and password so that isn't an issue. How would the above help to obtain the PIN code or to change it?

TheLastSidekick

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
If I'm not correct somewhere at the bottom of the screen after entering it incorrect twice or three times, should display an email reset option. Let me try it and get back to you in just a moment.

Edit : was able to get it working for a friend on Android 2.2 but it is no longer working for me on 4.4.2 sorry.

Double edit : It is the pattern lock you can reset from but there used to be a way to do pin reset. I'll update my post if I find anything else. All the best.

Last edited:

Captain Sweatpants

Feb 18, 2014
Edinburgh
I don't think there is any way to do it without wiping the device. Try safe mode though it may temporarily disable the pin. That would allow you to backup the device

Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

LondonDropper

Dec 25, 2012
I don't think there is any way to do it without wiping the device. Try safe mode though it may temporarily disable the pin. That would allow you to backup the device

Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Just tried Safe Mode but no luck. It really must be the OS that's responsible and not an app.

Thanks anyway!! I'll just have to wipe it.