KitKat OTA Failing

Search This thread

ScallywagginIT

Aug 14, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
Hello,

I am trying to update my Droid RAZR M to KitKat and it is failing to install OTA. The phone is unrooted, stock and it downloads the software update just fine, but when the phone restarts and shows the Android icon with a progress bar, it fails and the phone reboots saying "Update failed to install." Any ideas on what could be causing this? I have tried downloading the update 3 different times in case it could have been corrupted, but still no luck. Thanks in advance!

ScallywagginIT

Aug 14, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
Hello,

I am trying to update my Droid RAZR M to KitKat and it is failing to install OTA. The phone is unrooted, stock and it downloads the software update just fine, but when the phone restarts and shows the Android icon with a progress bar, it fails and the phone reboots saying "Update failed to install." Any ideas on what could be causing this? I have tried downloading the update 3 different times in case it could have been corrupted, but still no luck. Thanks in advance!

It looks like multiple users are having the same issue... https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/823965?start=0&tstart=0

Can anyone confirm the MD5 sum for the latest OTA update? Is it CCD6F2E0363C4155A77A12E50C6F0829

Strife89

Apr 29, 2011
Hello,

Has the phone ever been rooted? I understand that the saferoot method slightly alters the kernel, and that isn't reverted if you unroot.

If this is the case, SBF to the same or a newer firmware version and the update should work (but now you can also just SBF to KitKat itself).

That said: if you're locked, I'd recommend taking a long look at this before proceeding.

Last edited:

Adriantech

Jun 2, 2014
Santo Domingo
KitKat Fail

:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:
Hello,

I have some problem i had my razr m rooted and i investigate and i find a app to unroot permanetly and i want to dowload kitkat and not found

Last edited:

ScallywagginIT

Aug 14, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
Has the phone ever been rooted? I understand that the saferoot method slightly alters the kernel, and that isn't reverted if you unroot.

If this is the case, SBF to the same or a newer firmware version and the update should work (but now you can also just SBF to KitKat itself).

That said: if you're locked, I'd recommend taking a long look at this before proceeding.

Thank you for this information. Yes, I am locked and the phone was rooted with Saferoot, but I had followed the unrooting procedure and was back on stock. I did not realize that the kernel was affected. Anyways, I downloaded the new KitKat firmware from http://sbf.droid-developers.com and flashed it successfully using RSD Lite. Everything worked out perfectly and I am very happy that I am now on the new firmware.