Galaxy Nexus Screen - What's Normal, What's Not. (Photos!)

Search This thread

TAMIM2007

May 27, 2009
2c.JPG

Left Galaxy nexus / right Galaxy 1

Screen in bad
Yellow Yellow Yellow
And also the bad quality

Last edited:
Reactions: chjade84

RickROM

Oct 1, 2010
I've gotten over it at this point. Screen looks amazing with the brightness up, and I don't notice the "problems" as much now with auto-brightness or low brightness on.

The Droid RAZR had way worse screen issues, so I can live with ours. The rest of the phone just amazes me. So fast ... I love it lol.

D

Deleted member 4173854

2c.JPG

Screen in bad
Yellow Yellow Yellow
And also the bad quality

Yeah this is exactly what I'm talking about. My phone also has a slight pink to yellow color shift from left to right but I didn't exchange it because the exchange phone had a slightly less pronounced version of the problem, but over all had more yellow whites.

Reactions: TAMIM2007

chjade84

Sep 3, 2010
How did you take the pixel level shot? I'd like to take a shot on mine, as I don't think the pixels turn off when blacks are displayed on my handset.

I bought a Dino-Lite digital microscope for work a while back and while it's not often used for work anymore, I use it for things like this. :D

http://www.dino-lite.com/

It actually works very well but at $100-$400 they are pretty pricey just for playing around with.

chjade84

Sep 3, 2010

Screen in bad
Yellow Yellow Yellow
And also the bad quality

Yours seems more pink than off-white.

Sadly, this seems to be an issue with a lot of new phones. I noticed it when going from iPhone 3G to HTC EVO and now again from EVO to Nexus. I suppose the fortunate thing is that as long as you aren't using your phone side-by-side with another you get used to "white" being white and it's not that big a deal; to me at least.

The grain and banding and tint I will be happy to live with (for now) after this weekend comparing my blacks to my sister's iPhone's blacks. I even showed some people the difference between "black" and BLACK and they were astounded. They thought the area around the navigation icons was bezel - not screen. :)

systemf

Sep 24, 2010
Color temp is extremely warm at low light giving into even more yellow whites. The problem is that color temp, white balance is not adjusted as a function of its brightness setting which doesn't seem to strictly only affect light output. Another thought is they purposely have it warm at low light for power consumption reasons.

Last edited:

bongadadu

Mar 19, 2011
I bought a Dino-Lite digital microscope for work a while back and while it's not often used for work anymore, I use it for things like this. :D

http://www.dino-lite.com/

It actually works very well but at $100-$400 they are pretty pricey just for playing around with.

Hmm, won't be buying that lol.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but in a completely dark room, on a pure black wallpaper using 100% brighthess the bezel looks blacker and it seems as if there is some backlight. Any one else getting this?

D

Deleted member 4173854

Maybe I'm paranoid, but in a completely dark room, on a pure black wallpaper using 100% brighthess the bezel looks blacker and it seems as if there is some backlight. Any one else getting this?

Yeah I think that's normal. I've had 4 of these phones (so many screen issues, I'm finally settling for the least annoying of the bunch) and they all display this characteristic.

chjade84

Sep 3, 2010

I am not getting that - in fact, often my bezel looks LESS black because it reflects ambient light. I set my brightness to 100% and turned off the light on the microscope and this is what I got at the edge of a picture in the gallery - single thumbnail with the rest of the screen black background.

magnified.jpg

Since there physically is no backlight and each of these pixels is essentially a tiny LED there just can't be any light bleeding through. Maybe your background isn't 100% black? Do you notice it in the background of the gallery album thumbnails? That's 100% black and is where the above picture came from.

D

Deleted member 4173854

Don't get me wrong... It looks really black, but even in an all black page on pixel tester the screen still has more luminance than when it is completely off.

Edit:
Interestingly enough my galaxy s (fascinate) displays this property, but is much much darker than the galaxy nexus. Overall the nexus has a more yellow cast, and in my opinion, a SERIOUSLY worse screen in every regard except resolution than the fascinate. As I said before, I've compared my nexus with several others and have actually had three other phones so I have no reason to believe my unit is out of the ordinary (It is possible however that over 50% of the phones are defective and I have never seen a good example). Interesting stuff... I'm really disappointed with this screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

chjade84

Sep 3, 2010
Don't get me wrong... It looks really black, but even in an all black page on pixel tester the screen still has more luminance than when it is completely off.

Edit:
Interestingly enough my galaxy s (fascinate) displays this property, but is much much darker than the galaxy nexus. Overall the nexus has a more yellow cast, and in my opinion, a SERIOUSLY worse screen in every regard except resolution than the fascinate. As I said before, I've compared my nexus with several others and have actually had three other phones so I have no reason to believe my unit is out of the ordinary (It is possible however that over 50% of the phones are defective and I have never seen a good example). Interesting stuff... I'm really disappointed with this screen.

What pixel tester are you using? Perhaps it illuminates the pixels very slightly vs having them completely off?

Flash728

Dec 2, 2011
Lawndale
the reason that you do still see some "backlight" when the screen is black and on full brightness is because of the TFT backplate used in the Super AMOLED display. The transistors used need to still keep a "slight" charge in order to redraw the images on the screen faster, otherwise there would be a slight delay in you doing something on the screen and the screen actually drawing it. So that slight power going through the transistor is causing that slight glow you see on an all black screen. I belive that the reason you cant see the "black" pixels in the OP's picture is because the camera adjusted for the brightness making the really dark pixels look darker to prevent the "bright" pixels from being too bright. I know this seems like a dumb source but i got this info from wikipedia lol

D

Deleted member 4173854

the reason that you do still see some "backlight" when the screen is black and on full brightness is because of the TFT backplate used in the Super AMOLED display. The transistors used need to still keep a "slight" charge in order to redraw the images on the screen faster, otherwise there would be a slight delay in you doing something on the screen and the screen actually drawing it. So that slight power going through the transistor is causing that slight glow you see on an all black screen. I belive that the reason you cant see the "black" pixels in the OP's picture is because the camera adjusted for the brightness making the really dark pixels look darker to prevent the "bright" pixels from being too bright. I know this seems like a dumb source but i got this info from wikipedia lol

That seems to make perfect sense to me. I wonder why it's more pronounced on the nexus though...

chjade84

Sep 3, 2010

While I'm no Wikipedia-basher I don't think the TFT backplate thing would *normally* cause this issue. But since you made me doubt myself (and I currently have nothing to do at work) I got out the DSLR and the optical scope in the lab....

With no illumination and 10 seconds worth of exposure I still don't see ANY light from the pixels. I'd post the resulting picture, but it's nothing but black and noise.

EDIT: Here it is. Left is 10 second exposure unadjusted - right is with the Exposure, Brightness and Contrast upped enough that you can start making out the edges of the pixels. If the camera couldn't catch any light I doubt a human eye could.

pixels2.jpg

Once I turned on some side illumination things got interesting...

pixels.jpg

The upper portion is illuminated while the lower portion is black. I don't see any light from the lower part at all.

LED's have a minimum voltage before they start to light (e.g. 1.0V = off, 1.1V = off, 1.2V = off, 1.3V = 5% 1.4V = 10%, and so on). If I were a betting man I'd say that the voltage wikipedia speaks of is probably close to the threshold but just not quite enough to cause illumination. Perhaps he keeps getting phones with slightly low tolerance resistors that let that voltage get just past the threshold.

Who knows...

Last edited:

kms108

Sep 16, 2007

about the black colour, the led display should completely be turned off, does this only happens to a 100% pure black or all black shadings, also can you comfirm that the black walpaper is 100% pure black, and not just black, isn't it impossible to distinguised 100% pure black with the naked eye.

if you dont want to answer this, it's fine with me, it just suddenly pop in my head.

thanks

qwho

Feb 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
I've never gotten the screen completely black at night. When on, the edges are noticeable, no matter what you display on the screen.

I will try the gallery later tonight to see if it was just that I never actually had a black screen displayed. Maybe someone who has this perfect black screen, make us an image that is the correct blackness that we can view and all try out?

chjade84

Sep 3, 2010
Here you go. Pure black. #000000

EDIT: I have tasted my own medicine. I went into a virtually 100% dark room and am seeing the background as slightly more grey. If I crack the door and let in a little light it turns back to almost pure black. But that's with the navigation icons and the status bar still illuminated and I'd bet that that light is enough to illuminate the glass which would make your blacks appear less black.

More testing must be done!

lol

Attachments

• black.jpg
    black.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 958
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got the Nexus today and having no experience with the AMOLED screens (iPhones and EVO before) I'm not sure what is considered normal and what is defective. I know there are plenty of threads about this, but very few examples.

Whites (Brightness 0-100%)

whites-1.gif

Greys (Brightness 0-100%)

blacks-1.gif

More Texture (bad) left, Less Texture (good) right.

nexuscompare1.jpg

Viewing Angle - UPDATE: My new Nexus has much less tint when viewed at an angle. *Colors adjusted to match as close as possible in Adobe Lightroom - and they are very close.

compareViewingAngle.jpg
    nexuscompare2.jpg

Viewing Angle - At extreme angles the screen with produce an iridescent effect.

rainbownexus.jpg

Courtesy of TAMIM2007 - Left Galaxy nexus / right Galaxy 1

2c.JPG

Courtesy of iansmith

Galaxy Nexus OLED's with a black screen showing red and green pixels are indeed slightly lit even though it should be "black" (15 second exposure).

AMOLED-BLack.gif

Galaxy Nexus "black" vs LCD "black" (15 second exposure).

LCDvsAMOLED.gif

THESE ARE DEFECTS Exchange these phones... You shouldn't have to live like this!

Courtesy of asb123 - Tint Fade at 0% brightness.

tint_fade.jpg

Courtesy of staticx57 - Black spots on a dark screen. Very common issue, odds are your replacement screen will have these, too.

black_spots.jpg

Courtesy of blackhand1001 - Image Retention issues.

image_retention.jpg

Courtesy of tonnytech - Banding and Transparent Lines

banding.jpg
    lines.jpg

If other people want to add their own pictures for analysis I'll try and add them to the first post so people new to the AMOLED world can feel better about theirs/exchange for a new one.
    So here is correctly-calibrated screen 1st one on the left. See attachment.
    Just dont deal with screen issues that you dont notice every day and are not that big problem. If in 99.9% situations the screen is ok let i be, we are still not in age where everything will be perfect. I compared display with Iphone 4S and be happy guys. It has much better colors (not sure with white). Black is much much more black and other colors are more richer. 4.0.2 factory also increased minimal brightness so this paper pattern is no longer big deal. I was really worried about display when I bought it but now everything is ok. In the evenings I switch on the screen (to look at clock) and black merges with borders and I just see beatiful screen :). btw its just Super Amoled HD not plus. Plus should be still in development and maybe it will appear in Galaxy S3 I would rather if not (it feels better if you know there isnt better display). Some models have issues but I dont know smartphone or just phone which dont.
    I found this on another thread on a different forum and it does show the inconsistencies of the display.

If you turn down brightness all the way down to the left and can see how greys might become purple.

See attached images. These are 3 different models all with brightness at the lowest from the settings menu.

Of course on mine once I turn brightness up a bit it goes back to normal, so not sure if it really means much.
    I have corrected color balance using application "Screen Adjuster 1.6"
    (it's free application)

Settings
    Red +0
    Green +0
    Blue +6

Now the color balance is much better for me :)