Screen Flicker - Response from HTC

Search This thread

jmkhenka

Jun 1, 2009
Are we not talking about TWO diffrent problems in this thread?

One is where the backlight is flickering, like a old TV or some light-tube with bad refresh rate.

And the other is screen/image corruption mainly in the top bar next to clock, in stock browser and some other place.

I have had the 2nd, screen flicker/corruption and it seemse to be related to the notificationbar - having items like unread e-mails can make it "break" for a sek or two.

I have also had the first, screen refreshrate mainly in low light setting. It behaves better with automatic brightness but not as obvious.

this is mostly notisble when you have a dialog box with a dimmed background around it.

DazNoonan

Apr 10, 2012
Hull
Are we not talking about TWO diffrent problems in this thread?

One is where the backlight is flickering, like a old TV or some light-tube with bad refresh rate.

And the other is screen/image corruption mainly in the top bar next to clock, in stock browser and some other place.

I have had the 2nd, screen flicker/corruption and it seemse to be related to the notificationbar - having items like unread e-mails can make it "break" for a sek or two.

I have also had the first, screen refreshrate mainly in low light setting. It behaves better with automatic brightness but not as obvious.

this is mostly notisble when you have a dialog box with a dimmed background around it.
Yes we are talking about the 2x issues... however the main issue being discussed is regarding that of "One is where the backlight is flickering, like a old TV or some light-tube with bad refresh rate."

theliquid

Jul 11, 2010
Vienna
this is not a flicker this one is the browser glitch

silly game HTC is making us play really....more n more i realize i was stupid not to keep the grey that was running perfectly

I get this also sometimes while browsing or with google play store ... Hopefully a software bug ...

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

AndroidInsanity

Jan 15, 2012
Huddersfield
www.youtube.com
Phone4u rang me today to see how my phone was going and trying to sell me some protection plan. I told them about this issue and that it seems to be happening a lot with other people and he said that HTC will fix it for sure in a future update due :)

Srius

Apr 9, 2012
Chennai
Flicker

Mine has a light but noticeable flicker only with the display is on the lowest brightness, other wise it's fine. I usually keep it in lowest to save battery( its always the screen taking the juice) so hoping a firmware upgrade can fix it

Try4Ce

Jul 29, 2010
NRW
graphical distortions like within the browser are already fixed in the chinese 1.28 leak.
The slight brightness flickering seems to be a faulty power management thing, seems like its software related.

violence1907

Feb 21, 2011
graphical distortions like within the browser are already fixed in the chinese 1.28 leak.
The slight brightness flickering seems to be a faulty power management thing, seems like its software related.

Yeah but it only seems like, i want a Statement Form htc -.-

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X mit Tapatalk

violence1907

Feb 21, 2011
Im Sry but i dont have paid 600 euros to get a phone with screen flickering, cracking wake up Button, a cut in the camera lens because of design fail and so on.. Thats just annoying. And then HTC Do Not have the balls to give a Statement to all of this?

HTC Thats a blame!!!

DazNoonan

Apr 10, 2012
Hull
Speaking to Vodafone and they do not have this as a raised concern on their systems (not enough logged issues); they have also not had any statement from HTC on this either. Vodafone's support was amazing; it's just a shame the problem isn't one they can resolve.

wizard123

Sep 13, 2010
Its been said many times before and i'm sure will be again, HTC does not gives a flying f*** about it's customers once they have your money ! :mad:

violence1907

Feb 21, 2011
Im gonna wait till friday for an update. Id it comes and the flicker is goneim Happy. If Not im going for a new One and hope for the best..

predator21

Jan 20, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to Olga.
lalit sehgal: hi htc how r u?
Olga: Hi lalit, thank you for contacting HTC Support. How may I help you today?
lalit sehgal: well i have jst one queery regarding one x
Olga: Yes of course, what is it?
lalit sehgal: well i got this yesterday and really pissed off coz of screen flickering
lalit sehgal: specially when gray colours are produced
lalit sehgal: its so annoying
lalit sehgal: is it software or hardware related......
lalit sehgal: coz if its hardware i will return this piece of crap....
Olga: I am not quite sure as this isnt something i have come across, have you tried anything to resolve this at all?
lalit sehgal: well there are forums loaded with this issue
lalit sehgal: many across globe are facing it
Olga: yes but i am afraid as customers dont come to us directly, we have no way of knowing about such issues.
lalit sehgal: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1597448
Olga: you can certainly try the full factory reset as a last resort to see if it helps.
lalit sehgal: i did
lalit sehgal: no help no use
Olga: If you still have the problem then it is most likely a hardware fault
lalit sehgal: i am not sure why all of us are facing this
Olga: and in this case would be best if you returned the phone to the store
lalit sehgal: u mean hardware faults with so many sold......
lalit sehgal: what abt quality check?
Olga: as i have mentioned we are not aware of this issue.
Olga: We do not know how many devices are affected.

HAHAHAHA response frm htc.....can u believe this

D

Delusphere

Having the same issues as you all.

1. Flickering screen (like a Monitor that's been turned on after months of not being used)
2. Graphics distort randomly (goes all dotty, and about 2cm of the left section of my screen distorts like an old cartridge game crashing)

I also find everything with a flash I take with the camera is yellow, and if you accidentally turn off your animation scaling in developer options, it locks it, and can't be undone. Only a factory reset works, and I get double displaying input boxes where I type with the browser. And also, the key board freaks out a lot, positioning me in random places, and not displaying what I type correctly.

I purchased my phone on Amazon UK, Sim Free.

Should I return it for a new one? If so, how can I do that via Amazon? A little bit of help here would be good. I usually need assistance with these kind of things due to some problems I have. Thanks.

wizard123

Sep 13, 2010
Having the same issues as you all.

1. Flickering screen (like a Monitor that's been turned on after months of not being used)
2. Graphics distort randomly (goes all dotty, and about 2cm of the left section of my screen distorts like an old cartridge game crashing)

I also find everything with a flash I take with the camera is yellow, and if you accidentally turn off your animation scaling in developer options, it locks it, and can't be undone. Only a factory reset works, and I get double displaying input boxes where I type with the browser. And also, the key board freaks out a lot, positioning me in random places, and not displaying what I type correctly.

I purchased my phone on Amazon UK, Sim Free.

Should I return it for a new one? If so, how can I do that via Amazon? A little bit of help here would be good. I usually need assistance with these kind of things due to some problems I have. Thanks.

Htc are full of ****.

If like me you purchased online over 7 days ago you can not return this to retailer it has to go back to HTC ( which have told me that they will only repair the device not replace for a new one ).
If it is less than 7 days since your purchase get an rma number from amazon.

violence1907

Feb 21, 2011
lalit sehgal: well i got this yesterday and really pissed off coz of screen flickering
Olga: I am not quite sure as this isnt something i have come across, have you tried anything to resolve this at all?
Olga: yes but i am afraid as customers dont come to us directly, we have no way of knowing about such issues.
Olga: you can certainly try the full factory reset as a last resort to see if it helps.

OMG. Gonna bring this back tomorrow. Lets hope i get a good One.

lawrence750

Jul 18, 2008
Berkshire
low and behold, mine now does it on all levels of screen brightness. just to get the point across to htc (who supposedly don't know about this) send em back doa. with the screen flickering as the reason. if its hardware that lasts 7 days, so be it, lets send em back every 7 days!

like others, i want an official statement from htc whether it is hardware or software. they're so 'quietly brilliant'.. well it should say 'silently s**t'

Last edited:

DazNoonan

Apr 10, 2012
Hull

That is shocking... I think we should all contact them copy and pasting what you have put too so we can show our frustration.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK guys, the more that's reported, especially the intermittent nature of the problems, the more I'm convinced the issue is Teg3 related.

I followed the Asus Prime's launch from the beginning and it had very similar issues that all turned out to be either code or drivers related to Teg3. It took Asus/Nvidia four updates to finally stabilize everything.

The One XL is out now and even though there aren't a lot in people's hand you'd think this would have popped up on at least one if it was common to the One X family. The One XL has a different SoC, kernel, and graphics drivers than the international version while I'm assuming the majority of the rest of the s/w is the same. So as long as it's unaffected you can draw the conclusion that the international version's issues are either Teg3 h/w or related s/w.

The good news is that the majority of issues were eventually resolved on the Prime. But just like Asus, HTC is dependent on Nvidia to identify, isolate, and release new code to correct the issues because their s/w and drivers are proprietary. Having two companies involved is certainly not going to speed up the process. Just like the One X, not every Prime had the issue(s). And when early updates were released devices that were fine suddenly had problems and devices that were broken were fixed. No one from Asus or Nvidia ever explained why devices with identical h/w and s/w behaved differently. My guess is that there are unforeseen variances between individual Teg3 chips and the s/w adjustments were made to enable the s/w to account for them. So while this isn't an answer or a fix hopefully it helps better frame the problem.

I snipped some posts from the Prime forum so you can see that a theme similar to what we're experiencing exists. The first couple are from an Asus manager that participates in the Prime forum.

~~~~~~~~~~
    3/22/2012 Update –

The next firmware update is in qualification testing now. We are also working on solving some flickering problems reported by a few users and hopefully that will be addressed in this next release.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    4/2/2012 Update -

In addition, I have gathered additional details from a few users who are seeing locks or weirdness after playing a Tegra 3 optimized game after a few hours. I will be in California next week to work with NVIDIA and Google on this problem.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    2/1/12 Update - We received new code from NVIDIA today and are in the process of testing it. If this code is acceptable and provides a solution to the lock/reboot problem after the ICS update, we will release it in beta form for additional testing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    2/7/12 Update - We received another new code update from NVIDIA for testing today. Hopefully we will be able to release a beta patch or OTA update shortly. I will have an update after testing is completed tomorrow.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    THE INITIAL ANDROID 4.0 UPDATE (BUILD 9.4.2.11) CAUSES FREEZES/REBOOTS FOR SOME. BUILD 9.4.2.13 FIXED THIS, BUT INTRODUCED A NEW BATTERY DRAIN ISSUE FOR SOME OTHERS. A FIX IS EXPECTED VERY SOON.

it is now believed that bugs in nvidia's tegra3 video drivers were the cause of freezes and reboots that some experienced after making the initial ICS update (build 9.4.2.11).

asus shipped new drivers with build 9.4.2.13 on 2/8/12 that fixed these issues, but a new battery drain issue was introduced that affects some others. this battery drain has been referred to as the "sleep of death"

asus confirmed on 2/14/12 that a fix has been developed for the battery drain and should be released within a week
    ~~~~~~~~~
    I went 36 hours after the initial ICS update without a problem and then a sudden reboot. I then had no issues for another day of normal use. Then a reboot. No pattern at all and definitely not when playing games when the CPU/GPU was being stressed. So not a thermal issue. This reeks memory issue whether the storage or ram and could be bad code or bad memory.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Wondering if any one else has had this issue. The left edge developed a series of blocks that would disappear when I touch he screen, and then reappear when I stopped touching the screen.. The issue persisted into app browser, but reappeared while playing a video in mx player.. It appeared again after I quit mx.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I took screenshots, via the app switcher button throughout, and I can see the corruption in the shots, and so I suspect its a software issue and not something in the display itself. Screenshots will follow once I compression them a bit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Today I was playing zen pinball and i pressed hardly for the right flipper and this screen flickering again. Starting with the bezel when I apply pressure to the right bottom part of the tab the screen flickers into white. I don't think it is a common issue.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I find I can replicate screen flickering just by tapping the recent items button after having a dozen apps/pages stored there. A reboot fixes it but it comes back later.
    I just can't see how it can be hardware...

Mine is flickering at times too.It seems like just about every device that is out there is doing it. I still think its software based, and probably a setting to do with the LCD display. If its hardware then HTC are going to run out of phones...
    Oh i see, my serial starts HT24
    You are getting me a little worried about this flickering.
    When I check the brightness adjust screen (at 100%) the grey area around the box has a tiny tiny little flickering - as in it seems like the brightness dims a little and turns the brightness up very little 1-2 times a sec, but it is nothing I notice during usage, only at this particularity place when I look for it. It is from HT23 batch.

It it this you are talking about, or is it much more visible?

And well, just checked the screen while it charged and I would say it was gone...

No.. on my second phone it is like that.. it does not go away when charging though.

On my first it was constant flicker no matter which brightness setting it was set to... Much much worse than on the One X that I have now..