Newbie to unlocking bootloader rooting and getting s-off

Search This thread

JSDragon

Dec 23, 2013
I have an HTC ONE on verizon.

I have been reading up on unlocking of the bootloader, rooting and achieving s-off, I have a few questions that I am hoping the XDA community can help with.

1.I am on 4.3 jellybean on my ONE will the new tool for HTC devices?

2. I just checked and the new software for the one 4.4 KitKat is out for my version of the one finally! My question is would the new tool still work if I took the 4.4 OTA update or would I loose the ability to use the new tool?

3. Also I know in this process some where that you loose everything on your phone, can someone recommend a method and/or an app to backup all of that stuff so that I do not loose it?

Last edited:

chaitea

Aug 13, 2013
As for backing up your data, I'd suggest Helium. Since you're not rooyed, you will need a companion app on your computer.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Reactions: JSDragon

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Dont take the kk update and use firewater to unlock and get s-off. Once s-off flash a recovery and use it to backup the phone. Make sure to move the backup to your pc. Then reflash stock recovery and take the ota. Then reflash custom recovery and flash superuser with it. You would then be s-off stock rooted kitkat.

fenstre

Jan 9, 2012
On the other hand, if you don't want S-Off (I doubt you need it), you should OTA-upgrade first to get the newest firmware for your device, then unlock and root. You should still be able to S-Off after that if you want.

If you go this route, you will lose all the contents of the phone. Helium (buggy as it is, it mostly works) a backup of SMS/call log/contacts (if they're not stored in a Google account), and a backup of /sdcard is approximately everything. Also take screenshots of what your desktop looks like, just in case you have a hard time getting that back.

Reactions: JSDragon

chaitea

Aug 13, 2013
On the other hand, if you don't want S-Off (I doubt you need it), you should OTA-upgrade first to get the newest firmware for your device, then unlock and root. You should still be able to S-Off after that if you want.

If you go this route, you will lose all the contents of the phone. Helium (buggy as it is, it mostly works) a backup of SMS/call log/contacts (if they're not stored in a Google account), and a backup of /sdcard is approximately everything. Also take screenshots of what your desktop looks like, just in case you have a hard time getting that back.

I agree. I doubt you will need S-OFF. You really only need it if the phone didn't allow flashing kernels, radios, and images with S-ON. But since you only need root with the HTC One, I'd suggest to stay away from S-OFF. A simple typo could brick your phone if I'm not mistaken.

JSDragon

Dec 23, 2013
You can take the ota first, it has been confirmed that firewater works on the new ota.

Are you sure? I have been reading around these forums and others and haven't heard anything? Not doubting you just don't want to take the OTA update and then loose my chance to do this to my phone?

Iz3man

Jun 16, 2009
I just Ulocked, rooted and S-offed my Freshly OTA updated to 4.4.2 One. No problems or issues.

I used :
HTCDEV to unlock
CWM for recovery and root
and FireWater to S-off

Had some hiccups along the way but nothing that came close to bricking it. Just had to change a few settings and permissions.

SaHiLzZ

Jan 19, 2011
Asking questions in International GSM htc one will not help with a Verizon device

sent from my mobile device

JSDragon

Dec 23, 2013
You can take the ota first, it has been confirmed that firewater works on the new ota.

I just Ulocked, rooted and S-offed my Freshly OTA updated to 4.4.2 One. No problems or issues.

I used :
HTCDEV to unlock
CWM for recovery and root
and FireWater to S-off

Had some hiccups along the way but nothing that came close to bricking it. Just had to change a few settings and permissions.

I thought HTC Dev no longer worked for the htc one?

Iz3man

Jun 16, 2009
what would you recommend for backing up all of your stuff so you can restore it after all of this?

I use adb backup its so far the best I've used... I didntvuse anything this go around, this one was a warranty replacement and I've been driving with my note 3... I just decided to unlock, root and soff this yesterday as a weeknight project :)

JSDragon

Dec 23, 2013
I use adb backup its so far the best I've used... I didntvuse anything this go around, this one was a warranty replacement and I've been driving with my note 3... I just decided to unlock, root and soff this yesterday as a weeknight project :)

Mmmmm not sure how to use that for backing up my phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As for backing up your data, I'd suggest Helium. Since you're not rooyed, you will need a companion app on your computer.

Noobies should not attempt to root or modify

I thought HTC Dev no longer worked for the htc one?

Worked great for me yesterday. They emailed me a Unlock.bin file, ran it withbadb and presto unlocked.