How resistant is the phone?

Search This thread

davidquesada

Oct 16, 2010
Hey all,

I'm currently deciding between the s5 and the new one m8, the reason of the thread is becuase I want some opinions of owners that already experience it's durability, I want to know how resistent the phone really is, I'm an active person from biking every day to running and going to the gym I really want I phone I don't have to baby so much, I don't want cases or screen protectors I want to forget I have to protect and baby my phone and that's the only reason why I'm considering the s5, I hate TouchWiz but if this phone can hold up my peace in willing to sacrifice my stock android experience.
Thanks to those who share their experience in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatal

Last edited:

pähkinä

Jun 3, 2011
It is water and dust resistant, but that's it. It's just as durable as other "regular" phones out there, and I can't think why would you even expect anything else? So you either put case on it, or you buy a different phone. You can't get a phone this thin, that can take the beating, simple as that...

acPIZZA

Feb 6, 2011
It's resistant, not rugged.

It's water and dust resistance seems more like in case the phone falls in water, or in case you drop it at the beach. Not, "hey let's go swimming with my phone in my pocket!"

This is just my initial impression. It feels like any other Samsung phone. I'm not willing to test it out because I don't want to risk it in case I return the phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

D33KK

Sep 20, 2009

It's water and dust resistance seems more like in case the phone falls in water, or in case you drop it at the beach. Not, "hey let's go swimming with my phone in my pocket!"

This is just my initial impression. It feels like any other Samsung phone. I'm not willing to test it out because I don't want to risk it in case I return the phone.

I've dunked the phone underwater in a pool plenty times and its been fine. Its IP67 so it's waterproof for up to 2 Meters or something for half an hour.
Dunno why Samsung keep saying 'resistant' when it seems to be more then that

Sent from my SM-G900F using xda app-developers app

acPIZZA

Feb 6, 2011
I've dunked the phone underwater in a pool plenty times and its been fine. Its IP67 so it's waterproof for up to 2 Meters or something for half an hour.
Dunno why Samsung keep saying 'resistant' when it seems to be more then that

If they said water proof they'd have people scuba diving with it and then suing them when it broke.

D33KK

Sep 20, 2009

acPIZZA

Feb 6, 2011
http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/xperia-tablet-z/sgp511-sgp512-sgp521

There is Sony saying their Z2 Tablet is waterproof. Obviously that would break if you took it scuba diving, however Sony still says it's waterproof.

I was just thinking off the top of my head. Good point. I really don't know why one company chooses waterproof and one chooses resistant.

Does the Sony have a removable back plate?

D33KK

Sep 20, 2009
I was just thinking off the top of my head. Good point. I really don't know why one company chooses waterproof and one chooses resistant.

Does the Sony have a removable back plate?

Perhaps it could be Samsung taking an extra step to cover themselves. The new Sony's are all sealed shut but I imagine the waterproofing is just the same method with the rubber seal

SeaFractor

Jun 16, 2011
SeaTac
You can't see it, because it blends in with the case material, but the entire back of the Sony phone is covered with fine print.

Using a special ultraviolet light, defending counsel will illuminate the phone in court and have you testify as they point out that it was printed there all along.

:p

It's in the booklet, needless to say Samsung does appear to be working at covering themselves from liability more than Sony.

hemander

Feb 5, 2014

Yeah! This makes sense! It's just that, they test it so people would know how resistant it is, but me either, I will not risk mine. Maybe, by accident it fell in the water, then I'll see what happen next if it's true.

pepeo123

Aug 30, 2013
sony says they device are waterproof because they are ip58, the 8 means they are completely waterproof aka completed sealed from water. and in this case, the depth and time of immersion are specified by the manufacturer. sony specifies it 2m and 30 minutes, so if you keep the devive under water but dont go beyond that, it should be fine

Last edited:

homer285

Jun 4, 2006
Its close to moron resistant so I say keep away(Im not even joking), just how resistant is it well you may burn your hands at first touch!

Oh yeah sick thread dude its real awesome!

Last edited:

dragon135

Jan 23, 2011
It maybe water resistent. But I think if you have open close the usb port hundred times, the water protection will not be perfect anymore.

Sent from GT-I9500

AMoosa

Sep 24, 2006
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
You won't need to baby it as much as the HTC. With the metal back on the HTC, you'd be afraid of even putting it down on a table for fear of scratching it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk