Home made QI wireless charging? Anyone?

Search This thread

glukasil

Sep 28, 2006
Hi guys.....i love my zr but really disappointed with absence of accessories for it.
There are qi charging pads and accepters on aliexpress for 10 bucks a set... NOT FOR OWR PHONES of course.

I can fit in one inside of the rubber seal area and connect it with small wires to the battery.....

The question is.....have anyone tryed it before?

Sent from my C5503 using xda app-developers app

younix258

Feb 18, 2011
I wouldnt recommend forcing the pad under the battery door. If you look under there youll notice that the waterproofing works by letting the rubber gasket fall into a channel; if you add something thatll push the gasket away from the channel, it might be enough to let water in.
I actually just got my wireless charging pad for the Note 2 in the mail today. I'm planning to adapt it to my Xperia ZR but in a different way. I plan to put it between my phone and case, and connect it thru the docking connectors on the side of the phone. Ill update you with photos when im done if it comes out alright. Right now im just worried about how Im gonna get it to sit right without covering the flash.

Sent from my C5502 using XDA Free mobile app

vbansal89

Feb 21, 2014
update pics when u r done.

I wouldnt recommend forcing the pad under the battery door. If you look under there youll notice that the waterproofing works by letting the rubber gasket fall into a channel; if you add something thatll push the gasket away from the channel, it might be enough to let water in.
I actually just got my wireless charging pad for the Note 2 in the mail today. I'm planning to adapt it to my Xperia ZR but in a different way. I plan to put it between my phone and case, and connect it thru the docking connectors on the side of the phone. Ill update you with photos when im done if it comes out alright. Right now im just worried about how Im gonna get it to sit right without covering the flash.

Plz UPDATE us when u complete this little project

younix258

Feb 18, 2011

Okay heres my update: i did what i was planning to; unfortunately its not incredibly elegant.
I used a charging pad for note 2 which i bought on ebay. The copper tips i used as pins for the charging pad were a bit bigger than they should have been so my case is a little warped on that side. Also the pressure from the case makes the pins not have great contact with the phone so it takes little fidgeting to get it to start charging. Besides that though it works fine. I set it on the wireless charger at night and the phone is at 100% in the morning.
This weekend im gonna redo the soldering of the pins with some slightly smaller ones and see if i can make it... prettier.
The only thing to keep in mind is that +5v is the pin closest to the top of the phone and gnd is the bottom one. I also had to modify the charging pad to g3t the flap to come out higher up from the pad, otherwise I would have had to cover the flash.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1411047227458.jpg
    1411047227458.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 868
  • 1411047283987.jpg
    1411047283987.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 722
  • 1411047380871.jpg
    1411047380871.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 686

younix258

Feb 18, 2011
Yet another update. I tried to make it more elegant by reducing the thickness of the pins but to no avail. Doing this mod with a tpu (flexible plastic) case was a waste of time since theres no way to keep pressure on the pins and make the case sit flush.

Reactions: vbansal89

wihushae

Nov 17, 2013
What about glueing the connector to the phone? With this solution no pressure from the plastic case is required I guess...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Okay heres my update: i did what i was planning to; unfortunately its not incredibly elegant.
    I used a charging pad for note 2 which i bought on ebay. The copper tips i used as pins for the charging pad were a bit bigger than they should have been so my case is a little warped on that side. Also the pressure from the case makes the pins not have great contact with the phone so it takes little fidgeting to get it to start charging. Besides that though it works fine. I set it on the wireless charger at night and the phone is at 100% in the morning.
    This weekend im gonna redo the soldering of the pins with some slightly smaller ones and see if i can make it... prettier.
    The only thing to keep in mind is that +5v is the pin closest to the top of the phone and gnd is the bottom one. I also had to modify the charging pad to g3t the flap to come out higher up from the pad, otherwise I would have had to cover the flash.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using XDA Free mobile app
    Yet another update. I tried to make it more elegant by reducing the thickness of the pins but to no avail. Doing this mod with a tpu (flexible plastic) case was a waste of time since theres no way to keep pressure on the pins and make the case sit flush.