[Q] Root and unlocked BL! Now what ROM?

Search This thread

ckfalls

Aug 4, 2010
Washington, DC
First need to shout out the towelroot method for root and BL unlock: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157

SO easy and worked. Love it

Now that I have root AND unlocked BL, will be grabbing me some TWRP, backing up stock and trying some ROMs.

Question is: which one? I've read on some posts that only 1 or 2 ROMs work with KK-based phones. Is this accurate? I believe one post I read said only CM11 works, and its very laggy.

So which to grab? Do all KK ROMs under the development page work after the towelroot exploit? CM11, CarbonRom, Google Play Edition etc? Also, which has best,most reliable native wifi tether working? Any other big bugs among the ROMs that actually work?

poppers162

Nov 4, 2012
First need to shout out the towelroot method for root and BL unlock: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157

Now that I have root AND unlocked BL, will be grabbing me some TWRP, backing up stock and trying some ROMs.

Question is: which one? I've read on some posts that only 1 or 2 ROMs work with KK-based phones. Is this accurate? I believe one post I read said only CM11 works, and its very laggy.

So which to grab? Do all KK ROMs under the development page work after the towelroot exploit? CM11, CarbonRom, Google Play Edition etc? Also, which has best,most reliable native wifi tether working? Any other big bugs among the ROMs that actually work?

I'm running cm11 and I've had little to no lag issues

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: ckfalls

ezknives

Jul 21, 2013
Kitstalk at droidrzr.com i don't know if I'm allowed to post the link as it requires a registration to download... Always been my favorite...

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: ckfalls

ckfalls

Aug 4, 2010
Washington, DC
Thanks guys. Yeah I know I can downgrade but happy with KK changes, esp full screen over soft keys.

Will look into kitstalk thx. Yeah seems CM11 has good results. Either of these have native WiFi tether working?

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Free mobile app

poppers162

Nov 4, 2012
Thanks guys. Yeah I know I can downgrade but happy with KK changes, esp full screen over soft keys.

Will look into kitstalk thx. Yeah seems CM11 has good results. Either of these have native WiFi tether working?

Cm11 has a working tether setting. I haven't connected anything to the Hotspot but it turns on.

aaronpw0621

Nov 15, 2013
Spokane
You can use the new or older roms with unlocked bootloader just now you need to pay attention to what bootloader + kernel your on. The test builds of cm11 coming out won't work on the old bootloader + Kernel and the older ones won't work with the new kk bootloader + kernel

Just to clarify I am using the Droid Razr M (xt907). I had already taken the ota for 4.4.2 before i used towelroot. I have so far only got one ROM from @dhacker29 to boot. Its a cm11 from him. I can't figure out exactly which ROMs to flash. Is it the ones listed for the moto_msm 8960 or the ones listed for KK???

ckfalls

Aug 4, 2010
Washington, DC
You can use the new or older roms with unlocked bootloader just now you need to pay attention to what bootloader + kernel your on. The test builds of cm11 coming out won't work on the old bootloader + Kernel and the older ones won't work with the new kk bootloader + kernel

So I'm not used to looking for BL/kernel compatability usually I don't see this in the OP for a ROM, typically only see android flavor it based on, "JB" or "kk", which I thought would dictate whether a ROM would work on a device. Guess we need to look in the post for BL/kernel version (both which get updated during an OTA update?)

Like I said CM11 was the only one I knew of that for sure worked post-towelroot, that's why I was looking to see if others knew which other ROMs worked as well.

I know we can check kernel version in setting, if kernel matches a ROM then were bound to have the BL that matches as well, correct?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can still use the ones that don't support the new bootloader and kernel by downgrading to jb 4.1.2 since your now bootloader unlocked

I'm running cm11 and I've had little to no lag issues

Kitstalk at droidrzr.com i don't know if I'm allowed to post the link as it requires a registration to download... Always been my favorite...

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app