Baseband, meid, min, prl, phone#, imea, iccid ***unknown*** !!!

Search This thread

r0ckstar

Jan 8, 2011
Uh oh...
After cm11 nightly july1, NO SERVICE!
I assumed this would be modem related stuff, so I reflashed the NAE modem - nothing. I flashed back to cm10.2 - nothing. I flashed back to original full MDC stock rom - still nothing. It just get's stuck on "preparing network" forever. There are rumblings here & there that clockwork recovery (6.0.4.7 touch in this case) is corrupting the efs partition, which may or may not be the cause of this problem. In any case, I can't seem to locate an efs jflte Sprint image to restore from to test this theory because it's not included in flashable roms, and I wasn't even aware that it existed until now. If I can't get this fixed somehow, my "phone" will now be a very expensive wifi screen. Any insight into this issue is mucho grande appreciated as this is a showstopper for me.

Reactions: bigbry87

Parkourkid93

Aug 10, 2012
New York
OnePlus 7 Pro
Google Pixel 4
Not sure what could be causing your issue, I didn't how ever have that problem before tho, what I did was flash a stock ROM & their should be a dailer code used to reset your data (which I forgot, so look around for it, it has been mentioned on a lot of threads, sorry about that), then after dialing the code, your phone should reboot & it should be good, if not try reflashing the correct radio/modem for your android version.

Another thing, you posted this in the wrong section, their is a Q&A section for things like this.

×Rebel Nation×

Reactions: bigbry87

jam97

Nov 3, 2009
Uh oh...
I assumed this would be modem related stuff, so I reflashed the NAE modem - nothing. I flashed back to cm10.2 - nothing. I flashed back to original full MDC stock rom - still nothing. It just get's stuck on "preparing network" forever. There are rumblings here & there that clockwork recovery (6.0.4.7 touch in this case) is corrupting the efs partition, which may or may not be the cause of this problem. In any case, I can't seem to locate an efs jflte Sprint image to restore from to test this theory because it's not included in flashable roms, and I wasn't even aware that it existed until now. If I can't get this fixed somehow, my "phone" will now be a very expensive wifi screen. Any insight into this issue is mucho grande appreciated as this is a showstopper for me.

Try this:
In cm10.2 find cdma subsciption and change between NV and RUIM.
Or use cdma workshop to change it.

r0ckstar

Jan 8, 2011
Try this:
In cm10.2 find cdma subsciption and change between NV and RUIM.
Or use cdma workshop to change it.

Well, That probably would have worked yesterday. But sadly, I have managed to brick the phone. I became impatient, tired, and careless after effing with this thing for over 24 hours straight. I think I missed one of the boot images when I was trying to flash back to stock NAE. Now it doesn't even turn on. Let's observe a moment of silence for my $500 brick...

r0ckstar

Jan 8, 2011
Not sure what could be causing your issue, I didn't how ever have that problem before tho, what I did was flash a stock ROM & their should be a dailer code used to reset your data (which I forgot, so look around for it, it has been mentioned on a lot of threads, sorry about that), then after dialing the code, your phone should reboot & it should be good, if not try reflashing the correct radio/modem for your android version.

Another thing, you posted this in the wrong section, their is a Q&A section for things like this.

×Rebel Nation×

Yeah, I found the dialer code, but anything I put in just gave me a network unavailable, try later message. Here's what I think happened after thinking about it:
I tried to copy a file to the sdcard with windows7. After that, my sdcard became corrupted and unusable. I think this is also when I permanently lost service. The phone is bricked now, so It's to late for me, but I think this is something to watch out for.

elfeo0

Jun 17, 2007
Yeah, I found the dialer code, but anything I put in just gave me a network unavailable, try later message. Here's what I think happened after thinking about it:
I tried to copy a file to the sdcard with windows7. After that, my sdcard became corrupted and unusable. I think this is also when I permanently lost service. The phone is bricked now, so It's to late for me, but I think this is something to watch out for.

Can you get it to download mode? You should be able to Odin it back to stock. This phone is very resilient to get it bricked.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Free mobile app

r0ckstar

Jan 8, 2011
Can you get it to download mode? You should be able to Odin it back to stock. This phone is very resilient to get it bricked.

Nope. Boot is gone, recovery is gone, and yes, download mode is gone. It was resilient, but it's met it's match.

Parkourkid93

Aug 10, 2012
New York
OnePlus 7 Pro
Google Pixel 4
super late reply, i apologize, but damn :/, thats pretty depressing, i remember when i bricked my first phone, bricked it the first day i got it -.-, hopefully you can somehow either get it replaces or repaired

r0ckstar

Jan 8, 2011
super late reply, i apologize, but damn :/, thats pretty depressing, i remember when i bricked my first phone, bricked it the first day i got it -.-, hopefully you can somehow either get it replaces or repaired

Sprint cut me some slack on a swap out unit, but now of course I'm stuck with knox. I suppose it could have been worse. I'm not going anywhere near any more nightlies. There are some JTAG flash boxes that could have unbricked the phone, but those are just not in my budget at the moment. I haven't killed enough phones to justify that expense.

Parkourkid93

Aug 10, 2012
New York
OnePlus 7 Pro
Google Pixel 4
Sprint cut me some slack on a swap out unit, but now of course I'm stuck with knox. I suppose it could have been worse. I'm not going anywhere near any more nightlies. There are some JTAG flash boxes that could have unbricked the phone, but those are just not in my budget at the moment. I haven't killed enough phones to justify that expense.
The same thing happen to me, ended up with the Knox, even tho in told the sprint guy to not update it for me, but its alright, good think you got to swap tho :) & I agree, I've been planning on buying one but didn't feel like paying

bigbry87

Jan 28, 2012
So what is the answer to this problem? I have the same issue. A few day ago, I was on "Sonic 4.4.4 Weekly" and all was good, this is an awesome ROM. But then I got wind that Sacs v5 was up. And being a "Diehard Sac'ien / Flashaholic".... I was sporting it yesterday and notice that I had no service....... I just spent all day fixing my brick.... I am currently back to full stock NAE with F'n Knox mocking me every reboot....
I am pretty thorough with seeing these things through, so I will report back with any info that can be helpful...
By the way I finally got back to Stock NAE using Odin3 v3.09 which I have shared from my "4Shared" account. And the ROM from Sam Mobile Site

We shall prevail....:fingers-crossed:

bigbry87

Jan 28, 2012
Problem Solved...
Wow I just figured it out. So simple that I am pretty pissed, but not as upset that as r0ckstar is going to be.

Settings; More Networks;Mobile Networks;Network Mode; and Select "Automatic".

Nothing was selected on my phone.

All is working now.... :victory:

I hope this works for others too.

If I have helped in any capacity please hit the Thank You button....:good:

As I am wiping the Sweat off my Balls.... I mean my Brows... As an Electrician, I sure thought I was going to be Brick Layer-er today....

r0ckstar

Jan 8, 2011
Problem Solved...
Wow I just figured it out. So simple that I am pretty pissed, but not as upset that as r0ckstar is going to be.

Settings; More Networks;Mobile Networks;Network Mode; and Select "Automatic".

Nothing was selected on my phone.
All is working now.... :victory:
I hope this works for others too.
If I have helped in any capacity please hit the Thank You button....:good:
As I am wiping the Sweat off my Balls.... I mean my Brows... As an Electrician, I sure thought I was going to be Brick Layer-er today....

Well, I would like to think that I tried the automatic setting during my frantic flashing rampage, so I'll just smile painfully and pretend I did, because the alternative would be to go postal. I usually roll my eyes and immediately dismiss anything that has "automatic" or "smart" in the name. Perhaps I'll give these settings the benefit of the doubt just one more time... next time.

Daisflaque

Sep 18, 2012
Seattle
www.pc2yew.zohosites.com

r0ckstar

Jan 8, 2011
This is actually you efs partition somehow being either a. Overwritten or b. Getting corrupted. Your efs is all yourBaseband, meid, min, prl, phone#, imea, iccid info. And ive had this exact problem. Flashing a backup of my efs fixed in 2 seconds. Hope this helps future problems. Always remember to backup your efs people.. sources... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2329937
And... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2019540

Yes, I believe this must be the conclusion. If you think you're playing it safe by doing a "nandroid" backup that doesn't include the efs partition, you're not. Also, there are some problems with this blurb about backing up the efs partition. It doesn't apply to the gs4. The procedure would have to be modified. Secondly, it says to back it up on the sd card. I lost the sdcard and the efs partition at the same time, so the first thing to go would have been the efs backup. It needs to be taken off the phone and put somewhere else for safe keeping. Ideally, an odin flashable image should be created and stored away on the computer, but I'm not aware of any way to do that. Perhaps with the simg2img or make_ext4fs utils? I've never attempted it, and of course I would be very nervous about testing it as well :)

Reactions: Daisflaque

ecs87

Nov 17, 2012
For future reference I helped someone out with this issue who was on the L720T. I had him send me his m9kefs partition numbers and created a hex file the exact same size as those partitions (the file I created had all zeros in it) and attached a batch file along with it. It injected this file into his phone and he had baseband, imei, meid and everything else back. You can find this particular situation in Alpinemans thread on flashing phones to different carriers.

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

Yes, I believe this must be the conclusion. If you think you're playing it safe by doing a "nandroid" backup that doesn't include the efs partition, you're not. Also, there are some problems with this blurb about backing up the efs partition. It doesn't apply to the gs4. The procedure would have to be modified. Secondly, it says to back it up on the sd card. I lost the sdcard and the efs partition at the same time, so the first thing to go would have been the efs backup. It needs to be taken off the phone and put somewhere else for safe keeping. Ideally, an odin flashable image should be created and stored away on the computer, but I'm not aware of any way to do that. Perhaps with the simg2img or make_ext4fs utils? I've never attempted it, and of course I would be very nervous about testing it as well :)

There seems to be a lot of confusion around the EFS. The EFS is not contained in the EFS partition ironically...its actually split across three partitions on the L720. These would be the m9kefs. On some other phones its on the modemst partitions and FSG. So to recap if youve backed up the efs folder/partition...its a nearly useless backup. Ive ran a G900P with no EFS folder/partition. Worked perfectly fine. However if you're missing your REAL efs partitions...your phone will be working perfectly not fine lol.

Reactions: r0ckstar

r0ckstar

Jan 8, 2011
EFS partition names

For future reference I helped someone out with this issue who was on the L720T. I had him send me his m9kefs partition numbers and created a hex file the exact same size as those partitions (the file I created had all zeros in it) and attached a batch file along with it. It injected this file into his phone and he had baseband, imei, meid and everything else back. You can find this particular situation in Alpinemans thread on flashing phones to different carriers.

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

There seems to be a lot of confusion around the EFS. The EFS is not contained in the EFS partition ironically...its actually split across three partitions on the L720. These would be the m9kefs. On some other phones its on the modemst partitions and FSG. So to recap if youve backed up the efs folder/partition...its a nearly useless backup. Ive ran a G900P with no EFS folder/partition. Worked perfectly fine. However if you're missing your REAL efs partitions...your phone will be working perfectly not fine lol.

Ahhhhhh...........
I see what you're talking about:

mmcblk0p13 (m9kefs1) 0 MB, 798720 bytes
mmcblk0p14 (m9kefs2) 0 MB, 798720 bytes
mmcblk0p15 (m9kefs3) 0 MB, 798720 bytes

They're so obscure and less than 1M each, but apparently oh so important
while these...

mmcblk0p10 (efs) 14 MB, 14286848 bytes
mmcblk0p11 (modemst1) 3 MB, 3145728 bytes
mmcblk0p12 (modemst2) 3 MB, 3145728 bytes
mmcblk0p24 (fsg) 3 MB, 3145728 bytes

are simply diversions for chumps.
Duly noted.

ecs87

Nov 17, 2012
Ahhhhhh...........
I see what you're talking about:

mmcblk0p13 (m9kefs1) 0 MB, 798720 bytes
mmcblk0p14 (m9kefs2) 0 MB, 798720 bytes
mmcblk0p15 (m9kefs3) 0 MB, 798720 bytes

They're so obscure and less than 1M each, but apparently oh so important
while these...

mmcblk0p10 (efs) 14 MB, 14286848 bytes
mmcblk0p11 (modemst1) 3 MB, 3145728 bytes
mmcblk0p12 (modemst2) 3 MB, 3145728 bytes
mmcblk0p24 (fsg) 3 MB, 3145728 bytes

are simply diversions for chumps.
Duly noted.

Haha you've pretty much got it BUT those other partitions aren't really diversions. Modemst1, 2 and FSG DO contain some of the NV. What's in them really isn't known since it's encrypted but...I can say that the read only protection on the GSM Qualcomm devices' IMEI is contained in there. The EFS partition itself... Does seem to be for chumps lol. It does have its purpose, but there doesn't seem to be any kind of important information in there. There however is a new flag that will trigger the carrier animation on boot for the G900P. Very miniscule...

In my opinion A) the EFS and NV items are more of a black magic kind of thing where not a lot of people know about it and even less know that its actually spread across partitions on their device. B) the tools and documentation we have to access them are very limited and outdated. A lot of what I've learned about the EFS and NV items has been self taught. There's been a few hard bricked phones...

Last edited:
Late but better than never?

Nope. Boot is gone, recovery is gone, and yes, download mode is gone. It was resilient, but it's met it's match.

Hi, know this thread is a couple of years old but wanted to ask if you tried to get the phone back up using the tflash option in odin.

If you kill all partitions on your phone like boot recovery and so on or have messed up your emmc storage there is one option you can try to fix it. Basically you take a memory card equivalent in size to your phone internal memory. You then download the full stock firmware for the phone and here's the hard part you need the same phone as yours in which you pop in the memory card and let odin identify and connect and show added. Now go to the options and untick auto reboot and tick the tflash option. Now go to the pit file section and choose the correct pit file for your phone and model /variant.

You can then click on start after having chosen the correct firmware file for each section marked BL, AP, CP, CSC. Once flashing is done. Odin will show reset and you can disconnect the phone and shut it down then take out the memory card and put it in your bricked phone. Odin will basically have flashed your phone partitions on the memory card and mmadeitbootable and on powering on your device should boot boot up normally and will create the partitions on Emmc itself. To make sure you can also turn on USB debugging from Dec options that you can activate by tapping on build no 7 times in the software info screen. You can refresh the phone now as you will have the PC recognize it.

I recently did this to revive a note edge that had died and found odin had created about 32 or more partitions on my micro SD with 32gb capacity. The number was unbelievable as we never get to see that many partitions but apparently the phone does need and have them all as it all worked and brough 4th a dead SM-N915G back to life.

Hope it helps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Uh oh...

×Rebel Nation×
    This is actually you efs partition somehow being either a. Overwritten or b. Getting corrupted. Your efs is all yourBaseband, meid, min, prl, phone#, imea, iccid info. And ive had this exact problem. Flashing a backup of my efs fixed in 2 seconds. Hope this helps future problems. Always remember to backup your efs people.. sources... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2329937
    And... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2019540