Straight talk and the At&t model Galaxy S5

Search This thread

roughmouth

Nov 27, 2012
So i just got an S5 through Swappa at a great price(540.00) and bought an Straight talk sim (6.99). it took all of a 30 min to port my current Straight talk phone number to my new phone. I get LTE and MMS is working. I would definitely recommend this process to anyone. now we just need root.

This is my Apn settings - Thanks goes out to excaliber88

Name- Straight Talk AT&T (Can be anything you want)
APN- tfdata
Proxy- Not Set
Port- 80
Username- Not set
Password- Not set
MMSC- http : // mms-tf.net
MMS Proxy- 66.209.11.33
MMS Port- 80
MCC- 310
MNC- 410
Authentication Type- PAP
APN type- default,supl,mms

Opie Knievel

Dec 18, 2012
Brodhead, KY
Thanks for those settings. I had been looking for a working apn for a while. Straight Talk gives you unlimited talk, text and data for $45 a month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

nnb81

May 9, 2014
Straight talk Samsung Galaxy S5

Thank you "roughmouth" for the update on straight talk samsung galaxy s5 setting ,I am getting new phone from AT&T and want to know by using the settings below it will start working...do i have to ROOT it ? It was not clear in your earlier post.

I tried buying new Phone from Verizon store but it wont work on straight talk.

Thx

So i just got an S5 through Swappa at a great price(540.00) and bought an Straight talk sim (6.99). it took all of a 30 min to port my current Straight talk phone number to my new phone. I get LTE and MMS is working. I would definitely recommend this process to anyone. now we just need root.

APN- tfdata
Proxy- Not Set
Port- 80
Username- Not set
Password- Not set
MMS Proxy- 66.209.11.33
MMS Port- 80
MCC- 310
MNC- 410
Authentication Type- PAP

devoidx

Mar 15, 2013
Thank you "roughmouth" for the update on straight talk samsung galaxy s5 setting ,I am getting new phone from AT&T and want to know by using the settings below it will start working...do i have to ROOT it ? It was not clear in your earlier post.

Thx

You don't have to root or unlock your AT&T phone to use it on straight talk, but you have to make sure to order the AT&T compatible sim card off straight talk's website.
My recommendation would be to buy a Tmobile S5 and use it with straight talk, that way you won't be stuck with a locked bootloader

Last edited:
Reactions: nnb81

D33KK

Sep 20, 2009
Sounds similar to the US version of UK's Three SIM only plan.
£18PM for 5000 mins 5000 texts and unlimited 4G.

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app

nnb81

May 9, 2014
thanks

"Devoid" Thank you for your prompt response in regards to my Query.

Tmobile sim won't be able to get 4G LTE thru Straight talk network , Max they can do is HSPA+ with Tmobile phones, that is the reason i am going with ATT.

What is Locked Bootloader ? Does that affect any of talk , text or data ?

Please advise...and thank you again.

You don't have to root or unlock your AT&T phone to use it on straight talk, but you have to make sure to order the AT&T compatible sim card off straight talk's website.
My recommendation would be to buy a Tmobile S5 and use it with straight talk, that way you won't be stuck with a locked bootloader

Mayadom1

Jan 22, 2011
Jacksonville
The Correct Setting for Galaxy S5

HERE ARE THE CORRECT SETTING-BEEN VERIFIED-
APN- att.mvno
Proxy- Not Set
Port- Not Set
Username- Not set
Password- Not set
MMSC- http : // mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy- 66.209.11.33
MMS Port- 80
MCC- 310
MNC- 410
Authentication Type- Not Set

APN- tfdata
Proxy- Not Set
Port- 80
Username- Not set
Password- Not set
MMS Proxy- 66.209.11.33
MMS Port- 80
MCC- 310
MNC- 410
Authentication Type- PAP

lindsey45

Jul 14, 2014
Basic Question!

So I am new to this site, and was just wondering if the AT&T Samsung s5 will work for Straight Talk. I already have service for straight talk, just looking to upgrade my phone. if I was to buy a s5 for full price from a site (eBay for example), would it work!? If it does, are there any certain things I need to be looking for when purchasing a phone (unlocked/locked)? I'm not a very tech savy person, so if I could get a pretty straight-forward response that would be great!

APN- tfdata
Proxy- Not Set
Port- 80
Username- Not set
Password- Not set
MMS Proxy- 66.209.11.33
MMS Port- 80
MCC- 310
MNC- 410
Authentication Type- PAP

blazeit420

Jul 23, 2014
At&t s5 [g900a]

I rooted with Towelroot a couple days ago. I bought it for full price from AT&T as a GO phone 27 days ago. I asked them in the store if I would be able to switch it to straight talk, and they couldn't give me an answer. When I turn on my phone, it shows an unlocked lock, and has since I got it. Is my phone already unlocked and capable of moving to straight talk? Do I just need to buy the straight talk sim? Or can I just move my phone over by buying a month's service and changing my settings as the earlier posts in this thread? I'd appreciate some help. This is my first time rooting a phone on my own as well, so if anyone knows where some mods are for it, I'd like to know. I haven't found any that are conformed yet.

jaygo444

Aug 16, 2013
Metro NYC area
I rooted with Towelroot a couple days ago. I bought it for full price from AT&T as a GO phone 27 days ago. I asked them in the store if I would be able to switch it to straight talk, and they couldn't give me an answer. When I turn on my phone, it shows an unlocked lock, and has since I got it. Is my phone already unlocked and capable of moving to straight talk? Do I just need to buy the straight talk sim? Or can I just move my phone over by buying a month's service and changing my settings as the earlier posts in this thread? I'd appreciate some help. This is my first time rooting a phone on my own as well, so if anyone knows where some mods are for it, I'd like to know. I haven't found any that are conformed yet.

Your AT&T phone is ready out of the box for Straight talk, no need to root or unlock, because Straight talk is a AT&T MVNO, it uses the same towers. Just make sure you purchase the AT&T sim card from Straight talk (NOT THE TMOBILE, they sell both)

Just pop the new straight card sim in,and just adjust the APN setting and manually enter in the posted info for the APN setting and everything work, phone data, mms, data all at 4G LTE speeds.

its the best alternative for an AT&T phone, other MVNO, caps data speeds to 8mbps ( cricket ) but Straight talk doesn't cap data speed, but ping times are longer than direct AT&T service, it takes a couple of seconds before data connects, not really noticeable, but for $47 bucks a months total, It cant be beat.

blazeit420

Jul 23, 2014
It's working.

Your AT&T phone is ready out of the box for Straight talk, no need to root or unlock, because Straight talk is a AT&T MVNO, it uses the same towers. Just make sure you purchase the AT&T sim card from Straight talk (NOT THE TMOBILE, they sell both)

Just pop the new straight card sim in,and just adjust the APN setting and manually enter in the posted info for the APN setting and everything work, phone data, mms, data all at 4G LTE speeds.

its the best alternative for an AT&T phone, other MVNO, caps data speeds to 8mbps ( cricket ) but Straight talk doesn't cap data speed, but ping times are longer than direct AT&T service, it takes a couple of seconds before data connects, not really noticeable, but for $47 bucks a months total, It cant be beat.

I tried to get it to work through the straight talk website, and it told me there is no service for my zip code. It also wouldn't accept my IMEI. I called the straight talk number, and 2 separate associates had the same issue, and got stuck where you enter the MEID/IMEI. They put their supervisor on, and he got it working immediately. My service is consistently between 2 and 4 bars. Never 1, never 5. Internet is working well, haven't been able to check LTE yet, cause my town doesn't have it. I love straight talk. **** AT&T GO phone-2.5 gigs of data for $60/month. I'll go with unlimited/$48.

iBimmer

Feb 5, 2011
Studio City, CA
HERE ARE THE CORRECT SETTING-BEEN VERIFIED-
APN- att.mvno
Proxy- Not Set
Port- Not Set
Username- Not set
Password- Not set
MMSC- http : // mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy- 66.209.11.33
MMS Port- 80
MCC- 310
MNC- 410
Authentication Type- Not Set

You won't get LTE with these APN settings. tfdata is the correct one for the new LTE-compatible AT$T SIM cards on ST.

Aug 17, 2014
just used these apn settings

APN- tfdata
Proxy- Not Set
Port- 80
Username- Not set
Password- Not set
MMS Proxy- 66.209.11.33
MMS Port- 80
MCC- 310
MNC- 410
Authentication Type- PAP

I just used these settings for at&t s5 on straight talk 8/16/14 and I get 4g lte with a locked phone everything works just fine

Last edited:

Emraphel

Aug 27, 2014
I just used these settings for at&t s5 on straight talk 8/16/14 and I get 4g lte with a locked phone everything works just fine
I have put in these exact settings and my mobile data works but MMS/picture texting still doesn't work.

EDIT: Correction, apparently I am able to send mms/picture texting but I cannot receive it. I always get a prompt to download and when my phone tries to download it, it doesn't do anything.

Last edited:

iBimmer

Feb 5, 2011
Studio City, CA
I have put in these exact settings and my mobile data works but MMS/picture texting still doesn't work.

EDIT: Correction, apparently I am able to send mms/picture texting but I cannot receive it. I always get a prompt to download and when my phone tries to download it, it doesn't do anything.

It happened to me before when I was trying to fix friends' Android phones. I'm an iPhone guy, who owns a Galaxy S5 Active and who wanted to try out an Android phone. I was never able to figure out a solution for not being able to receive MMS (but able to send). I'm on the verge of leaving Android(iot) forever. Haven't been able to figure out a way to share Internet's connection via Bluetooth.
I'd suggest try installing the ST APN app from PlayStore and see if that helps. If not, you're out of luck and have to call ST CS, prepare with loads of patience.

MeImmortal1

Nov 8, 2012
Upgrading from ATT S3 to ATT S5

I have an old AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3, I bought it slightly used, locked, with a clear/clean ESN. I then ordered the Straight Talk Micro Sim Kit for it, ported, updated the APN settings, and all has been well. I want to buy a used S5 now that the prices are dropping due to the S6 being released within the next month. My question is, will I be able to just pop in my S3's micro sim into the S5 and be good to go? Can the phone be locked, or must AT&T now be unlocked to work in Straight Talk? Are there any other obstacles that will prevent me from utilizing the phone fully, SMS messaging, 4g data, etc.? So much changes in a few short years, I just want to get a full idea of what I'm in store for with upgrading to a new phone. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

chaos2u

Aug 16, 2015
This is the only format that worked for me..

I gave an S5 Active and no matter what guide I used to set up my data, either I did not get LTE, or could't send pictures, receive pictures, and so on.. even ST tech support couldn't get this going for me. I am in Dallas TX if it matters.. Anyhow.. I decided to try and mix some of these fields with others from elsewhere and BINGO.. everything works perfect... all I did was change the mmsc to another..

So if all else fails.. try this format.. might save you some headache..

APN- tfdata
Proxy- Not Set
Port- 80
Username- Not set
Password- Not set
MMSC- http: // mmsc.mobile.att.net (no sapces between http and mmsc)
MMS Proxy- 66.209.11.33
MMS Port- 80
MCC- 310
MNC- 410
Authentication Type- PAP

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

APN- tfdata
    Proxy- Not Set
    Port- 80
    Username- Not set
    Password- Not set
    MMS Proxy- 66.209.11.33
    MMS Port- 80
    MCC- 310
    MNC- 410
    Authentication Type- PAP

Thx