Overclock Milestone (root needed)

Search This thread

dsixda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Thanks for posting the two guides, I have stickied them :)

Back on topic, it would be nice to see the browsing speed difference between a Nexus One and a Milestone @ 1.0-1.2 GHz. I used to have a Milestone, and at the stock 550MHz it was at least 5 seconds slower than the Nexus on bigger sites.

jul644

Jul 22, 2009
London Ontario
www.lmgtfy.com
whole of post

Hi all,

I realize this is a post about a Motorola phone but please bear with me.

As you might know, the Milestone firmware is firmly locked, unlike its cousin Droid. Among many things, this forbids overclocking because we can't change the kernel and unlock new frequencies.

However I developed a solution that allows overclocking by changing key structures directly in the kernel memory in runtime. All you need is a rooted phone; no flashing involved. For this to work, the module must know two memory addresses that are specific to each kernel. Fortunately, Motorola appears to have reused its kernel on most 2.1 firmwares, and I've yet to come across a firmware where it doesn't work by default. Confirmed working are Central Europe, Telus and Brazilian firmwares. Testers are welcome to give it a try.

Now for the relevant part for XDA: in theory this can be applied to any kernel on any other phone. You may say it's unneeded because you can already overclock; but you must flash a specific kernel to get a particular speed. It would be much better to be able to set any maximum frequency/voltage on the fly without flashing or rebooting. For instance, you could overclock to 1.0 GHz before a browsing or gaming session and then return to a lower frequency like 600 MHz, though still overcloked, for battery savings and safety. It's up to you.

Milestone users can try it out now:

http://code.google.com/p/milestone-overclock/

For the rest of you, what do you think?
credit to miragu