Does Xperia Z Ultra do OTG USB Host for audio DAC..?

Search This thread

liviococcia

May 4, 2012
Hi Members
I'm currently using a Note2 but I love the screen size, speed and quality shown by the Xperia Z Ultra so i'm thinking this may be my next phone.

At the moment, i can hook up SGNote2 to my Hifi via an 'OTG USB host' adapter lead, a further 'USB to MiniUSB' cable which then plugs into my HRT Headstreamer Mobile DAC, will I be able to do the same with the Xperia Z Ultra?

Also, does the Sony have any issues with regards to playing 'flash plugin' Web content and media?

And lastly please, Samsung uses a device call an 'AllShare Cast hub' to mirror what's on the SNote2 onto a HD TV , how does/will the Xperia Z Ultra work to do this same feature, is there Sony equivalent device?

Any advise would be great thanks

Regards

Reactions: danba

liviococcia

May 4, 2012
Thanks for the help Rokkaman, i couldn't help myself and went ahead and bought the SZU.

I did find out that mirror casting should be no problem (i also purchased a Netgear Push2tv), I'm gonna take my chances with my HRT Headstreamer Mobile DAC, and hope that it will work with the Sony phone.

The HRT DAC's tend to be 'firmware' designed with a high rate of standard conformity, but if there's a problem then I'll have to look for another DAC product like your make and model, hopefully this won't be necessary though.

Regards

danba

Jun 22, 2008
Works with a Fiio E17 but not with an Audioquest Dragonfly

Sent from my C6802 using xda app-developers app

Like the Xperia Z, the Xperia Z Ultra should likely work with the AudioQuest DragonFly using USB Audio Recorder PRO available on Google Play store. There is a free trial version.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2265#post_9429206

LL

cmclaughlan

Oct 13, 2007
San Jose, CA
With just an OTG adapter and using the Walkman app I was able to use my Fiio E17 as a USB DAC streaming both MP3 and FLAC to it from C6802.

Could not make my Astel and Kern 120 work at all. It would cause the AK120 to lock up each time it was connected and USB DAC was selected. Would need to soft-reset even after USB was disconnected.

Nuwidol

Sep 28, 2012
Milton Keynes
With just an OTG adapter and using the Walkman app I was able to use my Fiio E17 as a USB DAC streaming both MP3 and FLAC to it from C6802.

Could not make my Astel and Kern 120 work at all. It would cause the AK120 to lock up each time it was connected and USB DAC was selected. Would need to soft-reset even after USB was disconnected.

Hmm, sounds like a fault with the AK120. Send it to me & I'll try it with my equipment ;) Yeah? :p

calinormy

Jul 18, 2008
Works with fiio e17 alpen with an ordinary 2 $ otg usb cable. I found the sound horrible with the headphones directly connected to Zu. I own galaxy S4 and S4 active but no comparison here...different world.

Sent from my C6802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

klinggalaxy

Oct 9, 2010
Fra
Works with fiio e17 alpen with an ordinary 2 $ otg usb cable. I found the sound horrible with the headphones directly connected to Zu. I own galaxy S4 and S4 active but no comparison here...different world.

So what you're saying, is that a) the E17 is being supported by the ZU and b) the quality you can get from this combination is superior compared to the E17-S4 configuration?

calinormy

Jul 18, 2008
No,with the e17 you have two options : 1.to get the digital file directly from usb port and to convert inside the e17 - in this case the source of music doesn't matter S4 or Z or Zu 2. To get the sound decoded by fone and only amplified by E17. I was talking about the sound.from the phone alone. It is awful and I am disappointed by Sony. My headphones are Sennheiser Momentum. I am lucky enough cause I have the option 1....with alpen. Sorry for my English.

klinggalaxy

Oct 9, 2010
Fra
No,with the e17 you have two options : 1.to get the digital file directly from usb port and to convert inside the e17 - in this case the source of music doesn't matter S4 or Z or Zu 2. To get the sound decoded by fone and only amplified by E17. I was talking about the sound.from the phone alone. It is awful and I am disappointed by Sony. My headphones are Sennheiser Momentum. I am lucky enough cause I have the option 1....with alpen. Sorry for my English.

Thanks mate for clarifying this! :)

hykhleif

Oct 3, 2008
Thanks mate for clarifying this! :)

I bought the x3 for my xperia z utltra works great with the otg cable but you can only use the audio recorder app from playstore as a player, which does not playback mp3s.

I wish there was another way to use the x3 as a dac and use it with my z ultra and use other players like poweramp or neutron player but so far it does not work that way.

If there is another way tell me please how to use the x3 as a dac, as after i listened to music from x3 as a dac i decided that the way I want to listen to music from now on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Works with a Fiio E17 but not with an Audioquest Dragonfly

Sent from my C6802 using xda app-developers app
    Hi Members
    I'm currently using a Note2 but I love the screen size, speed and quality shown by the Xperia Z Ultra so i'm thinking this may be my next phone.

At the moment, i can hook up SGNote2 to my Hifi via an 'OTG USB host' adapter lead, a further 'USB to MiniUSB' cable which then plugs into my HRT Headstreamer Mobile DAC, will I be able to do the same with the Xperia Z Ultra?

Also, does the Sony have any issues with regards to playing 'flash plugin' Web content and media?

And lastly please, Samsung uses a device call an 'AllShare Cast hub' to mirror what's on the SNote2 onto a HD TV , how does/will the Xperia Z Ultra work to do this same feature, is there Sony equivalent device?

Any advise would be great thanks

Regards