Who will be moving on to a new phone soon?

Search This thread
Feb 4, 2011
So it is coming on two years that this phone has been out, which means that a lot of people will have upgrades available. Who plans on upgrading to a new phone and what are you looking at getting?

iBolski

At this time, I'm sticking with this phone. CM11 is giving me all I need. The phone still works well, and if I were to get a new phone, I'd have to purchase it at full price, lest I lose my unlimited data.

So, no moving to a new phone, nor do I have a reason to. Just because this phone is two years old doesn't mean it's no longer good. As long as you have an unlocked bootloader, this phone will continue to work well, especially with CM11 pumping out nightlies like crazy.

Johnny Wong

Jun 15, 2013
Washington, DC
Lol, I just moved to the Razr HD from the Droid 3. I was using a Galaxy S2 HD LTE while I was stationed in Korea a few months back and the Razr is by far a superior phone to both. I'm the one that likes to tinker, so I like these older phones. I got the wife a Moto X a while back and that phone runs great. Far better battery life than my Maxx and has all the cool little functions, the coolest being the Active Display. The new Moto X looks great too but I'm sticking to the Razr. I just need basic functionality, the most important being the wifi hotspot which my iPad Air is always tethered to. Both the Moto X and Razr were purchased off contract, the Moto X was purchased off the Motorola website and the Razr through Amazon used. I am really enjoying this phone so far and was extremely happy that I was able to unlock the bootloader. Just need to wait for the unlock to be available for the Moto X and the world will be perfect! Yeah, I know about the China middleman but would prefer not to go that route. So bottom line, don't care about the new phones... Quite happy with my Razr running VZW 4.4.2 and ART Runtime. But if I was to look for a new phone, that new Moto X looks really good.

Edit: back to dalvik, phone was running stupid with art enabled on the drive to the mall and back. Couldn't run any music player Bluetooth'd to the car without the music being choppy. Don't know if it is a Bluetooth issue or art issue but didn't happen again on a short drive after switching back to dalvik. Oh well, I can run xposed again, so all is not lost!!!

Last edited:

amedeh123

Aug 5, 2012
I lost mine and still got another one. Had mine for one year, plan on sticking to this one for at least one more, or until something a lot better comes around.

With cm11 on it, it does everything I need to, with headroom. Dont care about new phones, at least for now.

Maybe can consider if they release a good phone with earth-shattering battery life, but I really dont see it happening so soon..

Edit: Also:
Just because this phone is two years old doesn't mean it's no longer good.

Last edited:

iBolski

Let's put it this way - I'm getting at least 1.5 days of battery if not more. This morning, I'm at 77% with over 13 hours not charging. I've received and sent texts, played a game or two of Madden Mobile, read email, made and received phone calls. Battery life on my non-maxx RAZR HD is awesome under CM11 with Xposed modules Greenify, Unbound and AppOpsXposed. Never got this under stock.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Johnny Wong

Jun 15, 2013
Washington, DC
Let's put it this way - I'm getting at least 1.5 days of battery if not more. This morning, I'm at 77% with over 13 hours not charging. I've received and sent texts, played a game or two of Madden Mobile, read email, made and received phone calls. Battery life on my non-maxx RAZR HD is awesome under CM11 with Xposed modules Greenify, Unbound and AppOpsXposed. Never got this under stock.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I agree, greenify and unbounce are amazing apps. The fact that notifications are still available while hibernated with greenify is awesome. Well worth the extra few bucks!! With unbounce, I'm running the old version before he went all fancy with the ui because it became too much. Just want something simple that does the job on its own like greenify. I unfortunately bricked my phone when I accidentally flashed a RAZR M ROM. I was so pissed that night that I literally went to the Best Buy page and ordered a Droid Maxx. I also ordered a new motherboard that night so now I have the RAZR Maxx HD as a backup. I plan on switching in between the two often!!

ttinlv

Mar 12, 2011
All of the new phones are going the way of obnoxious.
Screen too big, 4.7 is just right
No microSD slot, 8GB (ugh if ya haveta 16GB) base is fine...let me add my 64GB
No MHL, I want to connect an MHL to HDMI adapter and watch the movie(s) I loaded on my 64GB card on the hotel's LCD TV when I travel
No Miracast, would be much better than MHL port
No 3300maH+ battery, I like the juice time I have with my Franken XT925. The newer processing power would only greatly increase the runtime available
Too thin, The RAZR MAXX HD is just about right, just needs to be a little more sculpted like the Moto X
No Car Dock, I like an easy way to connect the charger to the phone while in the car...oh oh and I have a GPS if I want it

So basically there needs to be Generation 1 Moto X with the 805+ processor, 3300maH+ battery, microSD slot, removable back with replaceable battery (if design needed, I'm okay with putting the SD and SIM back inside with battery), 8GB onboard storage and 4GB RAM to keep up with OS upgrades for at LEAST 2 years.

djvita

Sep 9, 2013
Guadalajara
not until may next year, i do want a new phone due to specs and such. android L snapdragon 810 deserve a wait and see reviews/prices of devices.
cm11 runs fine with me, just the random crash but i get 4 hours of screentime easy.

basically ill upgrade to 3000+mah 32/64GB + microSD S810 phone with 1080p/QHD under $650 USD. sony z4, lg g4 and htc m9 are on the shortlist due to their nice phones, but if sammy gets their act together with the ui in the s6 (comeon, just root, unlock bootloader and we're set with stock android L) and i might consider them. the s810 will support all lte bands so unlocked is a must. i pay $10 USD every 2 months for 100 min/texts/mb and that's all i need, no contract.

cschuck320

Mar 8, 2012
Milwaukee
I'm looking at getting the Galaxy S5. I'm sick of Motorola being so restrictive with their bootloaders. Custom ROMs are the reason that I want an Android phone.

RikRong

Feb 16, 2013
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6a
I'm looking at getting the Galaxy S5. I'm sick of Motorola being so restrictive with their bootloaders. Custom ROMs are the reason that I want an Android phone.
You think Samsung on VZW is any better? On Verizon right now, the M8 is probably the best bang-for-buck if you want a non-dev model that can be modded.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
Really liking the new Nexus 6 and the Droid Turbo, but...

Without a procedure for unlocking the phone, I'm not buying the Turbo. Without the Xposed Framework being updated to work with 5.0, I'm not buying the Nexus 6. I've become too dependent on root and Xposed (among other things root is good for) to go back to a locked down phone without rooting capabilities and no Xposed support. Also I'd much prefer the 5.2" screen to the 6" screen. Not ready to jump that high (yet...)

I am hoping a dev works his/her magic and figures out a way to unlock that bad boy Turbo before long. I've become so heavily dependent on Xposed to make this phone do every single thing I want it to that the RAM and processing power are sadly just not enough. And with the Turbo on 4.4.4, I could block (freeze, disable, whatever) the updates so as to not be bothered with 5.0 until Xposed is updated to run on it.

...plus I think the KitKat Moto built for this phone was half-a$$ thrown together, and the update did nothing to correct anything (made things worse from my own perspective). I may have to take the plunge into the world of Cyanogen or another custom ROM.

EDIT: Switched over to the new DirtyUnicorns ROM for my phone and everything is head and shoulders better than before - won't be updating to a new phone for a long long time now.

Last edited:

radiopayola

Aug 20, 2010
...instead of a new thread

It's been a roller-coaster trying to get good performance out of the XT926 and XT907. My wife and I picked them up about 6 months after they came out, and I've been following CM for most of that time. When my 907 died, she picked up a galaxy s6 edge. I kept the 926.

• CM11 was great at first. Fast and snappy but missing some features and small issues. No big deal.
  • CM11 became bloated and slow leading up to the transition to LP. Battery life went down the drain. The phone was slower than dirt.
  • CM12 seemed great at first, but quickly deteriorated after a month or so of nightlies. I suffered through this for way too long before beginning the hunt for something new.
  • Dirty Unicorns 9.7 seemed like an improvement right after the first bootup but quickly revealed serious performance issues. I understand some older versions of Dirty Unicorns were great.
  • CM11 is still being maintained unofficially! Rejoice. Buttery smooth so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Wish I'd bothered to look back at CM11 sooner... I wonder at what point in the last 6 months the unofficial updates were able to get it running well, again. I think I'll have this phone for quite a while longer.

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III
It's been a roller-coaster trying to get good performance out of the XT926 and XT907. My wife and I picked them up about 6 months after they came out, and I've been following CM for most of that time. When my 907 died, she picked up a galaxy s6 edge. I kept the 926.

• CM11 was great at first. Fast and snappy but missing some features and small issues. No big deal.
  • CM11 became bloated and slow leading up to the transition to LP. Battery life went down the drain. The phone was slower than dirt.
  • CM12 seemed great at first, but quickly deteriorated after a month or so of nightlies. I suffered through this for way too long before beginning the hunt for something new.
  • Dirty Unicorns 9.7 seemed like an improvement right after the first bootup but quickly revealed serious performance issues. I understand some older versions of Dirty Unicorns were great.
  • CM11 is still being maintained unofficially! Rejoice. Buttery smooth so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Wish I'd bothered to look back at CM11 sooner... I wonder at what point in the last 6 months the unofficial updates were able to get it running well, again. I think I'll have this phone for quite a while longer.

I may be on a jbbl, but its gotten smoother since 12.1 kernel commits started coming in. At least thats my perception of things based off of my experience. And you nailed it right on the head with 12, thats why i downgraded to 11

Sent from my ATRIX HD using XDA Free mobile app

karlsdroids

Aug 9, 2013
Has anyone looked at the "Marshmallow" update for the XT926? Google pulls it up and there are a ridiculous number of surveys to fill out but ultimately it says to look around on xda dev.....yet I see nothing Marshmallow related here for our, now legacy, devices.