GPS does not work

Search This thread

Turwaithion

Jul 2, 2011
Hello everyone

I have Cyanogenmod 7.0.3 running on my HTC Legend but am having trouble with the GPS.

I have used GPS test on both radio firmware 7.13.35.05 and 7.08.35.21 and get 6-10 satellites on both and about 5-8 in use. However I never get a position or accuracy reading and in apps such as Google Maps it just says "waiting for location".

What can be the problem ?

Asovse1

Oct 4, 2010
Edmonton
I actually have the same problem, but the only time it locks (RARELY) when I use Maps. RARELY!

I flashed to CM 7.1 RC and don't think I experienced this problem in 7.0.3. I'm also curious as to what the problem is, I've updated the radio to 7.13.35.13 long ago and recently I've applied the GPS "Faster Fix" Mod buried somewhere in the Dev forum.

Turwaithion

Jul 2, 2011
I have tried the faster fix without luck.

When the gps eventually gets a fix (after 10-20 minutes sometimes never) it works flawlessly.. . But then when i turn it of and on - the same story.. waiting for ages

Is this a rom problem or a general Legend issue ?

My 5 year old Garmin Nuvi gps for the car gets a lock within 8 seconds... So er new smartphone should be able to do this also.

doubleup

Nov 16, 2010
I thought I share my GPS experience.
Ever since I updated gps.conf to point to a local ntp server,
I now always get a GPS fix in seconds.
I'm currently loving CM71 RC1 but have also had GPS success with B 0.84.
I hope this helps.

Turwaithion

Jul 2, 2011
Ithought that was what fasterfix was supposed to to ? To modify the gps config file..

How do you do it manually ?

doubleup

Nov 16, 2010
CM7 defaults to NTP_SERVER=europe.pool.ntp.org
HTC defaults to NTP_SERVER=north-america.pool.ntp.org
So replace that line with a server closer to your part of the world from pool.ntp.org.
The safest way to replace gps.conf is via recovery, for example:

adb reboot recovery
+/+/ then +/+/
adb shell mount /system
adb push gps.conf /system/etc/gps.conf
adb shell chmod 644 /system/etc/gps.conf
adb reboot

djsubtronic

Jun 16, 2010
Do you see the GPS icon blinking? If so then you can try flashing the various GPS fix files, modifying configurations, or waving your phone in the air to recalibrate the sensors. However, after none of those solutions worked for me, I realized the issue was hardware related. The GPS sensor is directly underneath the loudspeaker on the back, behind the plastic cover. Similar to the way the battery cover is the antenna for WiFi/mobile network etc, the upper cover is the antenna for GPS. I found that fiddling around with it, or applying pressure where the speaker is can help achieve a better GPS signal, but if you stop applying pressure, it tends to stop working again.

Download the "GPS Test" app from the market, run it, look at the strength of the GPS and then check again after applying pressure. If you notice the bars go up, then you've found your issue. If you are adventurous enough, you can use a pin to pry open the cover (be careful not to scratch) and you'll see two small metallic connectors below the speaker. You could try to adjust them to provide better contact with the antenna in the plastic cover. That's how I fixed my GPS issues.

Last edited:

Turwaithion

Jul 2, 2011
My config is now set to europe (where i live) and i get 9-11 satellites with 20-45 in signal strengthwith "gps test" but it still takes up to 20 minutes sometimes to get a fix. The icon is blinking but it still takes far more time than suppose to.

My garmin gps running watch lock on to a satellite in under 10 second..

This is crazy..

Turwaithion

Jul 2, 2011
I have now tried to set to denmark (my home country) at that seems to do the trick.. But come on.. everytime i travle to germany and france i have to reset the servers ?

Can it really be true that gps in smartphones are so bad when older gps devices for cars and waches are better ?

doubleup

Nov 16, 2010
You may also set up to 4 servers and they dont need to be from the same pool.
0.europe.pool.ntp.org 1.europe.pool.ntp.org 2.europe.pool.ntp.org 3.europe.pool.ntp.org
Yeah, I would expect the europe pool should be enough but see how you go.

loscassapalle

Jan 9, 2010
i have cm7.1 rc1. i'm trying to change gps.conf with the one i made, but i can't:
if i paste it with root explorer (r/w) it tells me that it's been pasted, but after reboot there is always the same old file
with adb shell i have this error
Code:
- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

someone can help me?

loscassapalle

Jan 9, 2010
thanks, you were right. i've updated it, but still not work:
with gps status i cleared previous data and download new ones, but after 10 min nothing happened.
i've radio 7.05.35.26, should i try to update?

doubleup

Nov 16, 2010
interesting to know what happens after you update your radio
the post you got gps.conf from says is all good with radio 7.13.35.05
i went from b084 to cm71 so everything was wiped out and got that radio
keep us posted

Top Liked Posts