Should I flash-ROM to a better WM version than T-Mobile's -- before installing ifonz?

Search This thread
I am not a developer; just an end-user. But I've read tons of threads, wiki entries for Herald, etc -- and I can't figure out the sequencing of what to install on my T-Mobile WING.

Everything I've read says that these OEM versions of windows come loaded down with crap that wastes device storage, and hampers performance. But I have been scratching my head trying to figure this out:

I for sure am using ifonz theme -- I have been using it for past week installed onto the T-Mobile default default, and the navigation system is so great, I love it. But I get lots of Memory error messages and freezes if I run ifonz, MortPlayer, and a browser such as NetFront or OperaMini... Just not enough memory avail to handle it all.

From reading, I have seen that various ROMs cooked here have performance boosts (whether it involves overclocking or whatever). So my question is: which ROM is best for this purpose for me -- to be the underlying windows OS running that enables me to run ifonz and several other apps without this problem?

What confuses me is that ROMs seem to be OS tweeks PLUS UI display functionality -- such as emulating the HTC Touch etc. I just can't decode all of this to understand what elements are best for my needs, and which components MUST be on device vs storage card, and which would be optimal to install on storage card so as to leave headroom on device?

I also have installed PCM Keyboard (but I can't get it to stick as the default keyboard; the windows one always comes back), MortPlayer, Comm Manager (love this!). I am so impressed by the current ifonz theme. I read the whole thread from its first release and practically every suggestion has been implemented -- that is so impressive. (I wont bog down this topic further.)

All suggestions appreciated. And thank you. I will be donating to each component's authors. Y'all are the best! I can't believe the productivity difference since modifyng my PoclketPC. Now I can actually use the many aps and utilities!

Attachments

• my_ifonz_home.jpg
    my_ifonz_home.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 73

ivanmmj

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2007
I am not a developer; just an end-user. But I've read tons of threads, wiki entries for Herald, etc -- and I can't figure out the sequencing of what to install on my T-Mobile WING.

Everything I've read says that these OEM versions of windows come loaded down with crap that wastes device storage, and hampers performance. But I have been scratching my head trying to figure this out:

I for sure am using ifonz theme -- I have been using it for past week installed onto the T-Mobile default default, and the navigation system is so great, I love it. But I get lots of Memory error messages and freezes if I run ifonz, MortPlayer, and a browser such as NetFront or OperaMini... Just not enough memory avail to handle it all.

From reading, I have seen that various ROMs cooked here have performance boosts (whether it involves overclocking or whatever). So my question is: which ROM is best for this purpose for me -- to be the underlying windows OS running that enables me to run ifonz and several other apps without this problem?

What confuses me is that ROMs seem to be OS tweeks PLUS UI display functionality -- such as emulating the HTC Touch etc. I just can't decode all of this to understand what elements are best for my needs, and which components MUST be on device vs storage card, and which would be optimal to install on storage card so as to leave headroom on device?

I also have installed PCM Keyboard (but I can't get it to stick as the default keyboard; the windows one always comes back), MortPlayer, Comm Manager (love this!). I am so impressed by the current ifonz theme. I read the whole thread from its first release and practically every suggestion has been implemented -- that is so impressive. (I wont bog down this topic further.)

All suggestions appreciated. And thank you. I will be donating to each component's authors. Y'all are the best! I can't believe the productivity difference since modifyng my PoclketPC. Now I can actually use the many aps and utilities!
It really depends on your likes and disliked. Try a few and see which one fits you best.

As far as the stock ROM goes:

ROM: Stock ROM vs Just2Clean
RAM: 11mb free vs 32mb free
Storage: 26mb free vs 65mb free

So yes, a custom ROM should solve the memory issues. ^_^

Okay, thanks. so would you want to put me into the ballpark of which ROMs are lean and most efficient for my needs?

If you're suggesting the DESCRIPTIONS of the various ROMS will make that obvious to me, well, okay... but I could use some recs...

Also: A followup for my grasping the concept:

When most people here are cooking up these custom ROMs, they are selecting various apps to stitch together into on overall release, right?

If so, I am trying to understand if there are appreciable differences between

(a) A stripped bare custom ROM.... and then my then adding and manually installing a la carte cab files for things like S2U2, Comm Manager, Mort Player, etc ...

and

(b) starting with a ROM that has those aps integrated into the one cab file?

That's too hard for a lay person to understand without an expert explaining, so I hope someone will do that.

If (b) actually enables efficiencies in performance, I would obviously want to use one of those ROMS.

If they are 6 of one and half dozen of another, and no code difference whatsoever as pertains to the way those individual apps perform within the package, then I guess it doesn't matter much at all.

Should I be posting to a different forum -- like maybe the Herald forum, to get specific recommendations on which ROMS would be god for me to start ourt with knowing that my end game is to run ifonz and similar iphone-like applications?

thanks!

robpet2

Sep 6, 2006
Virginia
www.myspace.com
Okay, thanks. so would you want to put me into the ballpark of which ROMs are lean and most efficient for my needs?

If you're suggesting the DESCRIPTIONS of the various ROMS will make that obvious to me, well, okay... but I could use some recs...

Also: A followup for my grasping the concept:

When most people here are cooking up these custom ROMs, they are selecting various apps to stitch together into on overall release, right?

If so, I am trying to understand if there are appreciable differences between

(a) A stripped bare custom ROM.... and then my then adding and manually installing a la carte cab files for things like S2U2, Comm Manager, Mort Player, etc ...

and

(b) starting with a ROM that has those aps integrated into the one cab file?

That's too hard for a lay person to understand without an expert explaining, so I hope someone will do that.

If (b) actually enables efficiencies in performance, I would obviously want to use one of those ROMS.

If they are 6 of one and half dozen of another, and no code difference whatsoever as pertains to the way those individual apps perform within the package, then I guess it doesn't matter much at all.

Should I be posting to a different forum -- like maybe the Herald forum, to get specific recommendations on which ROMS would be god for me to start ourt with knowing that my end game is to run ifonz and similar iphone-like applications?

thanks!
it all depends on what you want... if you want to use apps that you only like and dont like the ones that people have cooked, go with a lite rom or a clean rom.. if some of the apps and configs that the cooks have made work for you go with the ones that are fully loaded...
ivans roms are usally neked roms ( bare bones roms that run fast and efficent because he took out all the junk that you dont need, and that also slow the rom down )...
papa has a good rom out right now even though he has it customized you can still dissable some of the stuff on his rom and tweak it how u want...
for more info on the roms for the wing check out pureskillzzz thread on the roms of xda...
im going back to watching the basketball game...
check my sig for links to a slideshow of ttrans open touch 5.0ul and papas black rom...
--------------
edit
if you like ifonz ( which I did too when i first saw it - its a good app) read up on ultimate launch or throttle launcher which takes the ifonz concept to another level... ultimate launch is good because you can customize it to look like ifonz with the icons, but you have more power with your device... ifonz is a ipod type launcher and it also drains the phones memory.

Last edited:
thanks very much!... that's interesting re other launchers and performance. (i know i'm in over my head but is that because ifonz was written in .NET vs native code ? i thiught i read that somewhere).

QUESTION: is there a "Browse by Photo Gallery" forum or wiki section... that lets one see the look/UI of the theme, launcher, etc of the various roms, as a means for narrowing down choices?

thx

robpet2

Sep 6, 2006
Virginia
www.myspace.com
thanks very much!... that's interesting re other launchers and performance. (i know i'm in over my head but is that because ifonz was written in .NET vs native code ? i thiught i read that somewhere).

QUESTION: is there a "Browse by Photo Gallery" forum or wiki section... that lets one see the look/UI of the theme, launcher, etc of the various roms, as a means for narrowing down choices?

thx

nah but you can check out http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=395793
and read thru the reviews...
I recomend ttrans or papamops roms... then itjes, and ivans roms... the first 2 cause those are the ones that i have tried....
what are you looking for in a rom... read the link that i gave you about the reviews of most of the roms on here

wearefree

Oct 10, 2007
I didn't know there are these many ROMs out there now... WOW what a collection!

To OP: to make your pcm keyboard sticky, search for SIP change. This utility will automatically change to whatever SIP you choose after reboot so you don't have to manually select it.

alongenemylines

Jan 2, 2008
Taylorsville, KY
everyone's gonna recommend something different. i personally prefer just2clean. it's exactly that. smooth, fast, and clean. honestly, of all the roms i've ever flashed, it's the only one that i've had absolutely zero issues with. i don't mind taking the time to install each program i really want. most of the other roms come with lots of extra programs that i have no use for, and can't delete, since there isn't an add/remove item for them... they're cooked in with the rom.

so really, it all just come down to your own preference. just check the herald rom development section. i think pureskillz (maybe?) did a write up on various roms and his pros and cons on each.

robpet2

Sep 6, 2006
Virginia
www.myspace.com
everyone's gonna recommend something different. i personally prefer just2clean. it's exactly that. smooth, fast, and clean. honestly, of all the roms i've ever flashed, it's the only one that i've had absolutely zero issues with. i don't mind taking the time to install each program i really want. most of the other roms come with lots of extra programs that i have no use for, and can't delete, since there isn't an add/remove item for them... they're cooked in with the rom.

so really, it all just come down to your own preference. just check the herald rom development section. i think pureskillz (maybe?) did a write up on various roms and his pros and cons on each.
yes that is true, but the point of trying different roms is seeing what programs and configs that you like the best, then after time ( how ever long the herald is around ) you will try a lite rom or clean rom and add the programs that you want to it... thats what im doing right now... there are a few that are great from the get go, but sometimes you dont need all that extra stuff...
that brings me back to the original question what do you want in the rom that you flash ??

most of the other roms come with lots of extra programs that i have no use for, and can't delete, since there isn't an add/remove item for them... they're cooked in with the rom.

Another of my primary questions answered. Thanks so much! I was trying to learn the practical differences between apps cooks in, and installing cab files a la carte.

My own recap:

(1) YES, flash to a better ROM to free up memory, remove OEM junk

(2) There is no gallery of ROM photos of interfaces, but a great REVIEW thread of lots of ROMS

(3) Apps as part of the ROM makes them unremoveable.

(that recap's for other newbies like me!)

robpet2

Sep 6, 2006
Virginia
www.myspace.com
Another of my primary questions answered. Thanks so much! I was trying to learn the practical differences between apps cooks in, and installing cab files a la carte.

My own recap:

(1) YES, flash to a better ROM to free up memory, remove OEM junk

(2) There is no gallery of ROM photos of interfaces, but a great REVIEW thread of lots of ROMS

(3) Apps as part of the ROM makes them unremoveable.

(that recap's for other newbies like me!)
i have slide shows of 2 herald roms and 1 wizard rom in my sig...
right now im running pappamops rom and its very good, good to use right away, just a little tweaking, has alot of storage and its fast, plus you can dissable anything that you dont want to use right now( mainly Ultimate Launch ) you will need batterystatus ( you can disable the theme )... one of the best roms if you like to put your own stuff on the phone...