[Q] Having trouble upgrading to 4.4.2 stock on Verizon

Search This thread

Taegost

Jun 15, 2010
I have a Moto X Developer Edition rooted on Verizon with TWRP 2.6.3.1 and stock Android 4.4 on it. I have been trying to upgrade to 4.4.2 without doing the OTA, and without having to reflash TWRP.
So far, I have been unsuccessful.
I have tried Blur_Version.140.45.5.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US.zip (approximate file size 150MB) from multiple sources as all the posts I read keep saying that is what works. I have also tried a ~650MB version I found somewhere. In addition, I tried the upgrade located here: sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0 which is called VZW_XT1060_4.4.2-KXA20.16-1.25.2_CFC_1FF.xml.zip (It's the 4.4.2 upgrade listed under Verizon US).
All of these fail. In TWRP, about 2-3 steps after it verified md5, it simply says "Failed" with no explanation as to why.

Here is my question:
How can I upgrade to 4.4.2 without a data wipe, and without having to reflash TWRP?

I have no interest in going to a ROM, I want to stay stock, and if I must, I will reflash the recovery if I have to, but I *really* don't want to.

Taegost

Jun 15, 2010
Flash stock recovery, take the OTA, flash TWRP again.

It's so simple, so painless, so quick and it will not wipe your data.

I was hoping to avoid that (Yep, I really am that lazy...) but that's what I was going to do tonight if I couldn't get my hands on a .zip to flash.
Ironically, I bought the Dev Edition specifically so things like this would be easy.

tcrews

May 4, 2010
android.snkbitten.com
It is easy.....just need to do it.

I support my sister, her husband and my wife (as well as my own) who all have Moto X's. 2 seconds to flash recovery, however long it takes for the OTA to install and reboot and then 2 seconds to flash TWRP again. Heck...I'd just leave the stock recovery in place since it's not needed if you don't plan on flashing any ROMs. The OTA doesn't even remove root.

Reactions: Taegost

Taegost

Jun 15, 2010

I support my sister, her husband and my wife (as well as my own) who all have Moto X's. 2 seconds to flash recovery, however long it takes for the OTA to install and reboot and then 2 seconds to flash TWRP again. Heck...I'd just leave the stock recovery in place since it's not needed if you don't plan on flashing any ROMs. The OTA doesn't even remove root.

Oh, that last bit is good to know! Well, I think even if it did remove root, getting it back is easy on the DE.
I think you're right though, I probably won't install TWRP again, I specifically got the Moto X because I was tired of messing around with stuff when I all I want is a rooted, stock Android experience.

Taegost

Jun 15, 2010
So, after several hours of messing with this, and thinking the stock recovery had gotten messed up because the instructions I had for getting in to it were wrong, I finally got the OTA installing...
and it fails.
I don't know why, I haven't seen the error (I'm not looking at the phone when it fails).
So... Awesome.

Last edited:
D

Darth

So, after several hours of messing with this, and thinking the stock recovery had gotten messed up because the instructions I had for getting in to it were wrong, I finally got the OTA installing...
and it fails.
I don't know why, I haven't seen the error (I'm not looking at the phone when it fails).
So... Awesome.

Are there files out so you can just flash 4.4.2 with mfastboot? Would be easiest. ;)

Taegost

Jun 15, 2010
Are there files out so you can just flash 4.4.2 with mfastboot? Would be easiest. ;)

I assume so, but I haven't found any instructions specifically saying how to do that, except for the ones that tell you how to return to stock without using RSD Lite.
Unfortunately, I don't know enough about how all this stuff works to be able to figure out which bits and pieces to put together to get upgraded without wiping my data.
What really pisses me off is that I specifically bought this phone so I wouldn't have issues like this, and here I am...

BTW: The only thing the error says is "Error". That's it, nothing else.

D

Darth

I assume so, but I haven't found any instructions specifically saying how to do that, except for the ones that tell you how to return to stock without using RSD Lite.
Unfortunately, I don't know enough about how all this stuff works to be able to figure out which bits and pieces to put together to get upgraded without wiping my data.
What really pisses me off is that I specifically bought this phone so I wouldn't have issues like this, and here I am...

BTW: The only thing the error says is "Error". That's it, nothing else.

This guide has a return to stock section. It will tell you how to flash the stock firmware.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2603358

Unfortunately the moto x is not a simple phone for tinkering with, like say a nexus, even the dev edition.

It can be easier once you do fully understand everything. Just gotta know what applies to you...meaning mostly the locked versus unlocked methods for everything.

After owning an s2, a moto x and now an n5 (n7 too...but I don't tinker with it really....its a family device) I've come to the mind set that for flashers and rooters.....nothing at all beats owning a nexus. Every other device has some limitations that a nexus won't have. ;)

Taegost

Jun 15, 2010
This guide has a return to stock section. It will tell you how to flash the stock firmware.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2603358

Unfortunately the moto x is not a simple phone for tinkering with, like say a nexus, even the dev edition.

It can be easier once you do fully understand everything. Just gotta know what applies to you...meaning mostly the locked versus unlocked methods for everything.

After owning an s2, a moto x and now an n5 (n7 too...but I don't tinker with it really....its a family device) I've come to the mind set that for flashers and rooters.....nothing at all beats owning a nexus. Every other device has some limitations that a nexus won't have. ;)

Yeah, that's the page I was talking about when I said I found the full instructions...
I specifically bought this phone because I didn't want to mess around with it like this, I just wanted to root it so I could use Titantium Backup and be done with it... and now I'm stuck at a halfway point.... Again...
I'll probably end up just doing the full wipe and manually flash to 4.4.2 (RSD Lite doesn't see my device... yay), since I have gone from my mute button not working (with 4.2.2), to a really bad echo for whomever I'm talking to when it's on speakerphone (Even when speakerphone is muted... THAT made for a fun conference call...).

D

Darth

Yeah, that's the page I was talking about when I said I found the full instructions...
I specifically bought this phone because I didn't want to mess around with it like this, I just wanted to root it so I could use Titantium Backup and be done with it... and now I'm stuck at a halfway point.... Again...
I'll probably end up just doing the full wipe and manually flash to 4.4.2 (RSD Lite doesn't see my device... yay), since I have gone from my mute button not working (with 4.2.2), to a really bad echo for whomever I'm talking to when it's on speakerphone (Even when speakerphone is muted... THAT made for a fun conference call...).

Flashing stock and rooting on an unlocked Moto x is basically the same as a nexus. It really is simple, once you are familiar with fastboot.

I guess there are toolkits that automate everything....like Samsung's Odin, and there's a few for nexus....but it really doesn't help anyone learn. And that's kinda what this hobby is all about.

But, I am sorry you're having trouble. Not sure what else to add. The guides are there, and they work. Usually. I can't think of anything to add to whats already been said.

Hope it works out for you!

Taegost

Jun 15, 2010
Flashing stock and rooting on an unlocked Moto x is basically the same as a nexus. It really is simple, once you are familiar with fastboot.

I guess there are toolkits that automate everything....like Samsung's Odin, and there's a few for nexus....but it really doesn't help anyone learn. And that's kinda what this hobby is all about.

But, I am sorry you're having trouble. Not sure what else to add. The guides are there, and they work. Usually. I can't think of anything to add to whats already been said.

Hope it works out for you!

I don't think I'm articulating my issue properly. I understand how to do everything in the guides you mentioned, they're a piece of cake. That doesn't solve my problem.

My problem is that I want to get to 4.4.2 WITHOUT wiping my data, but can't do the update via OTA or flashing in recovery. RSD Lite doesn't work either.

The ONLY option I have available to me is to manually push the update with fastboot, which I can definitely do with the instructions provided... But those instructions require me to wipe my data.
I know it's possible to apply the update with fastboot without requiring me to wipe my data, but I don't know enough about the inner workings to know which steps to skip, and which need to be modified, in order to make that happen.

D

Darth

I don't think I'm articulating my issue properly. I understand how to do everything in the guides you mentioned, they're a piece of cake. That doesn't solve my problem.

My problem is that I want to get to 4.4.2 WITHOUT wiping my data, but can't do the update via OTA or flashing in recovery. RSD Lite doesn't work either.

The ONLY option I have available to me is to manually push the update with fastboot, which I can definitely do with the instructions provided... But those instructions require me to wipe my data.
I know it's possible to apply the update with fastboot without requiring me to wipe my data, but I don't know enough about the inner workings to know which steps to skip, and which need to be modified, in order to make that happen.

It says right at the bottom of the return to stock section in the guide I linked too.....you can skip

Fastboot erase user data
fastboot erase cache

Though if you have any problems after, you might have to do it again and do erase those, before spending time trying to figure out what's wrong.

Taegost

Jun 15, 2010
It says right at the bottom of the return to stock section in the guide I linked too.....you can skip

Fastboot erase user data
fastboot erase cache

Though if you have any problems after, you might have to do it again and do erase those, before spending time trying to figure out what's wrong.

Wow... Attention to detail -5 :(
Sorry about that, when I looked through that article, I skimmed through and saw that the "Return to Stock" section was (almost) identical to the other instructions I was reading...But I missed that last paragraph when I looked at the link you provided, the directions I was using referenced that article but did not include that last bit...

Thank you for your patients, I feel like a dumbass now *sheepish grin*

D

Darth

Wow... Attention to detail -5 :(
Sorry about that, when I looked through that article, I skimmed through and saw that the "Return to Stock" section was (almost) identical to the other instructions I was reading...But I missed that last paragraph when I looked at the link you provided, the directions I was using referenced that article but did not include that last bit...

Thank you for your patients, I feel like a dumbass now *sheepish grin*

No worries!! ;).

And sorry, its userdata. My keyboard split the words up.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

And, you may very well have issues doing that way. But its worth a shot first. If you do have issues, then you can erase those and repeat the process.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA

Taegost

Jun 15, 2010
No worries!! ;).

And sorry, its userdata. My keyboard split the words up.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

And, you may very well have issues doing that way. But its worth a shot first. If you do have issues, then you can erase those and repeat the process.
Alrighty, well I was able to successfully flash to 4.4.2 using the Fastboot instructions. Flashed TWRP afterwards and got root right back. Now that I know, this won't be a trial in the future (fingers crossed!)
Thanks for your help and patience :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Flash stock recovery, take the OTA, flash TWRP again.

It's so simple, so painless, so quick and it will not wipe your data.