Htc Evo Design 4g & Hero S Discussion Thread

Search This thread

grad061980

Dec 28, 2010
oh , sorry , did I have a mistake about the link ?

The link you posted is to the original ruu/rom posted & that thread was more for testing/working out issues with the build. The problems were sorted out & fixed & a new thread made with the working rom,hence the other link posted. No problem though, thanks for posting the link.

pilussa85

May 5, 2011
Thanks!!!

Thanks guys for the links u guys rock testing this right now!!!!!!:)

---------- Post added at 05:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 AM ----------

Yeahhhh guys it was what i expected!!!!! Boost mobile is really getting htc evo design with 4g wimax i am really excited about IT!!!! Uhuu:d

honorlost84

Mar 15, 2011
lapeer
I have a EVO design with h boot 1.26.xxx and radio 1.11.00.1228
Android 2.3.4 software 2.12.651.5
How do I root? I need s-off. If there isn't one check out the EVO 3d. We loaded the latest zip and soft bricked it and ran a emmc tool to push a lower hboot

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Last edited:

chugger93

Nov 9, 2009
Michigan
I havn't check into these thread in months, wanted to touch base on what the latest and greatest is for the design 4G? My phone gets hot as **** after 10 minutes of doing anything. Not even web surfing, just whatever. Is this common? It reboots itself after it gets so hot. It's rooted and has been for awhile,but running stock OS.

I thought there was an OTA released 2 months ago, I Never downloaded it, but its not available when I check. I"m on 1.19.651.0

bigwillyg

Mar 1, 2011
chugger93 said:
I havn't check into these thread in months, wanted to touch base on what the latest and greatest is for the design 4G? My phone gets hot as **** after 10 minutes of doing anything. Not even web surfing, just whatever. Is this common? It reboots itself after it gets so hot. It's rooted and has been for awhile,but running stock OS.

I thought there was an OTA released 2 months ago, I Never downloaded it, but its not available when I check. I"m on 1.19.651.0

It's probably a bad phone, my wife's phone did the same thing and Sprint replaced it.

bigwillyg

Mar 1, 2011
holicl523519839 said:
what temperature is normal ?

my d4g on 4.0.3 is up to 40℃ when i am playing game (little game,not 3D,just like angry birds)

Hot while playing games is expected. Hot where it starts to feel uncomfortable and burns from talking on the phone or checking Facebook, that's not cool.

Jan 24, 2009
Quickest way to wifi tether and bloatware removal.

Hey there,

So glad I found this thread.

I recently switch from a regular EVO 4G that I had been lugging around all these years. Love the slimmer, lighter feel of the Design.

But I am stunned at the lack of support and popularity for the Sprint EVO Design 4G! :confused:

I went through three different ROMs on my old EVO. I hate the bloatware on stock ROMs and use Wifi tether on a frequent basis.

I have the latest OTA on my Design so Frigid's SuperTool does not work.

Can anyone please tell me the quickest, easiest way to get wifi tether working and remove bloatware or load a custom ROM?

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Kind of s-off. The sim-lock & radios are s-on or locked down. Everything else works as s-off (custom recoveries, roms, kernels, etc.) , but your bootloader will say unlocked s-on.

How in the heck do you get HTC boot loader to work? It does nothing. I've created an account, tried different browser. I click the green button and nothing.

Is there something else I can do to get this to work? I would very much like wifi tethering to work on mah phone.

Thanks to any good sirs responding.

grad061980

Dec 28, 2010
Hey there,

So glad I found this thread.

I recently switch from a regular EVO 4G that I had been lugging around all these years. Love the slimmer, lighter feel of the Design.

But I am stunned at the lack of support and popularity for the Sprint EVO Design 4G! :confused:

I went through three different ROMs on my old EVO. I hate the bloatware on stock ROMs and use Wifi tether on a frequent basis.

I have the latest OTA on my Design so Frigid's SuperTool does not work.

Can anyone please tell me the quickest, easiest way to get wifi tether working and remove bloatware or load a custom ROM?

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

How in the heck do you get HTC boot loader to work? It does nothing. I've created an account, tried different browser. I click the green button and nothing.

Is there something else I can do to get this to work? I would very much like wifi tethering to work on mah phone.

Thanks to any good sirs responding.

Most of the development is at 2 sites. 2fastroms.com (listed as the hero s under the download section) has the root methods (I used his oneclickroot tool - but since you have the latest ota that method of root will not work), clockworkmod recovery, & a custom stock rom or two. I would suggest still downloading that tool & fastboot.exe (place fastboot in the same folder as adb), then follow the directions on htcdev.com to unlock your bootloader. Then install install the recovery. Don't worry about root yet.

The rest of the development is at sdx-developers.com. Several custom roms & mods - even ics sense 3.6 leak. Most roms are versions of stock sense, but aosp us currently be worked on via evervolv rom.

As to wifi tether some threads at sdx-developers.com have info on getting it.
To root, after getting your bootloader unlocked, recovery installed & rom flashed, you will need a su.zip floating around here or sdx. Just flash it in recovery & you will be root.

Last edited:
Reactions: ki77en
Jan 24, 2009
, then follow the directions on htcdev.com to unlock your bootloader.

Thanks for your reply. I've been trying to unlock the bootloader via the app (?) on htcdev.com but the button does not do anything. I select my phone from the dropdown, hit the button, and nothing happens.

I'm sort of an idiot so I could be completely missing something but, what? Why isn't the button doing anything? :confused:

grad061980

Dec 28, 2010
Thanks for your reply. I've been trying to unlock the bootloader via the app (?) on htcdev.com but the button does not do anything. I select my phone from the dropdown, hit the button, and nothing happens.

I'm sort of an idiot so I could be completely missing something but, what? Why isn't the button doing anything? :confused:

Do you have popup windows blocked? As I just tried via my Mac/safari browser at work & it asked for my username/password (you have to create an account to use the tool). Try a different browser, maybe. Make sure you are on a desktop computer & not your phone.

Jan 24, 2009
Do you have popup windows blocked? As I just tried via my Mac/safari browser at work & it asked for my username/password (you have to create an account to use the tool). Try a different browser, maybe. Make sure you are on a desktop computer & not your phone.

I get the pop-up to login - and I do. Then I go back to the Unlock Bootloader screen, select my phone again, and hit the button and nothing happens.

What normally should happen here? Does the button initiate some sort of process or? I am completely befuddled.

I've tried in both IE and FF and... nothing. :(

grad061980

Dec 28, 2010
I get the pop-up to login - and I do. Then I go back to the Unlock Bootloader screen, select my phone again, and hit the button and nothing happens.

What normally should happen here? Does the button initiate some sort of process or? I am completely befuddled.

I've tried in both IE and FF and... nothing. :(

It will ask if you are sure you want to continue, then ask you to click you understand the legal terms in another popup screen, then click continue on to instructions. Just went through the whole process of using/getting to the instructions. Not sure what is up as it works here.

zephyr1

Feb 27, 2011
My fiance moved on from the evo 4g to the evo design 4g. Ive unlocked the bootloader flashed the cwm recovery,ics sense 3.6 and the su zip. It has full root my only issue is i cant get any wifi tether to work on it. It says " Activating wifi interface... Failed " Did i miss something? Or does the tethering just not work with this rom?

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA

WhoRuJudge

Mar 14, 2011
Does the HTC unlock basically reset the data/apps installed? I tried searching, but it was conflicting info. Thanks for the help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok since there isn't one thread dealing with these two phones I am starting one. Then at least people can find stuff or dicuss the said phone. I will add any useful links and how to's to this post and posts there after. Any way on to what we got....

How to root your Evo Design 4g or Hero S:
    There is a few ways out there from manual to auto. If you are wanting temp root you will need to look at zergrush. Which the link I don't have right off. If you want perm-root you can use either of the following tools.

My One Click Perm-Root & Busybox Installer tool/script (Sorry no linux help at the moment. Windows only) Confirmed on many devices also:
    http://2fastroms.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2485

Frigid's HTC Super Tool v2 (I can't confirm it works, how ever looks like it does. Followed by some nice options):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1343114

How to unlock your Evo Design 4g or Hero S:
    This isn't really a guide as htc has a good one. How ever I am going to add to it. You need to go to the following link http://htcdev.com/ , Once there click the unlock bootloader. You will be asked for you login info, if you don't have a account you need to make one. As you are starting through the instructions you will see you need to install adb to continue. How ever you can down my script, cd the tools directory, which will have adb. Drivers are also in the thread for my perm-root tool. Then all you need to do is get the fastboot from the sdk 13 linked in htc's guide. Followed by put it into the tools directory of my script. That or do it the way htc has you do it. Either will be fine and get the job done.

Now this may not happen to you but did for me. Where after pulling the token the phone froze. I had to do a battery pull, reboot to h-boot and select fastboot again. Where I was able to continue pushing the unlock file.

Kernel's for Evo Design 4g or Hero S:
    Don't know any or if source was released yet. If not start bugging htc for source code....

Recovery's for Evo Design 4g or Hero S:
    (WARNING YOU NEED TO BE UNLOCKED TO FLASH)
    My Own Unofficial 5.0.2.7 Clockworkmod:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1399321

TeamWin Recovery and Clockworkmod (Have fun trying to get the Clockworkmod, How ever TeamWin is attached to the first post):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1394359

Rom's for Evo Design 4g or Hero S:
    ****zipak Gingerbread base on stock uscc firmware as close to aosp as possible. (I believe two versions are now up)
    http://vaelek.com/index.php/topic/2483-skitzipak-for-heros-on-us-celular/
    Thanks to skitzi

Stock Ruu's for Evo Design 4g or Hero S:
    Hero S Gingerbread: (Fastboot image format, rename to PH44IMG.ZIP, move to sdcard and boot to h-boot. How ever I keep getting a corrupted zip from the link below)
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0eccbf/n/PH44IMG_Kingdom_us_cellular_wwe_1.26.573.7.zip
    Thanks to tonneychan

Design 4g Gingerbread: (I believe both these are the same and in ruu.exe format, haven't had time to check)
    http://www.multiupload.com/82BN1JCFX5
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/cd4c...668_signed.exe
    Thanks to El Ha$on & piaa_nissan

Anything else that you may think would be useful. You can post it or pm me to get it added.
    Manual download link to the OTA directly from HTC: link
    Stock RUU for EVO Design. Credit goes to piaa_nissan though, find him and give him a thanks...

http://www.multiupload.com/82BN1JCFX5

http://www.filefactory.com/file/cd4..._2.60_0708_PRL51079_release_209668_signed.exe

Sent from my ROOTED HTC Evo Design 4G.

If I helped you please press thanks :D
    The ticket has been closed without further comment. I have recorded the dates, times, and transcript of my communications with HTC and sent them on to GPL-Violations.

Feel free to continue asking HTC for the source! I will, too.

Sorry for the thread hijack, BTW. I'd have opened another thread, but without a proper forum this information would likely have been squelched by other activity. (Back to discussing the phone!)

EDIT: This is being handled by GPL-Violations. Hopefully source will be forthcoming.