[Q] DooMKernel performance

Search This thread

Sadman Khan

Feb 1, 2012
It's more stable. Most users are getting random reboots on v16. I experienced them too and so i settled on v15. Works perfectly :)

Sent from my C6802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: tknguyencsu

Sadman Khan

Feb 1, 2012
Yes. Dbolivar has ported it unofficially from z1 to Z ultra. So the features shall remain same

diji1

Aug 26, 2006
Adelaide, SA
I have been benchmarking various firmwares & settings combinations for my own gratification which I may post later - anyhow what I've concluded so far is .757 + Doom Kernel v16 is marginally slower than stock kernel but is better on battery use - more than enough to make up for the performance difference which I doubt you'd notice.

I haven't changed any settings from their defaults so I suspect it's governors that is causing this.

Sadman Khan

Feb 1, 2012
On v15 i got 34648 which is better than the average of 33k ish i get on stock. However i don't trust benchmarks anyway but doomkernel made the OS much smoother than that by stock kernel

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
I always run mine OCed so yes it is smoother than stock for sure. Not that stock is bad to begin with.

diji1

Aug 26, 2006
Adelaide, SA
Just noticed stock rom + DooMKernel is noticeably better on GTA San Andreas. The game used to start chugging at times with stock (which didn't seem to be related to graphics settings).

Also DoomKernel uses Ondemand governor by default - anyone know what stock uses? But in any case my theory about governor is out the window.

After many years of observing confirmation bias with users I've come to trust benchmarks more than users reported experiences but each to their own ;) For example I don't believe overclocking that small amount is going to lead to any noticeable increase in smoothness for most applications after you remove confirmation bias. Come to think of it ... it would be nice if there was an app out there that could set up blind testing for user experiences if that's possible.

Last edited:

dbolivar

Nov 24, 2012
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Also DoomKernel uses Ondemand governor by default - anyone know what stock uses? But in any case my theory about governor is out the window.

Last time I checked, stock kernel was by default using the interactive governor, but AFAIK it's the same as ondemand, except that it jumps to higher frequencies more agressively when the user is interacting with the phone (mostly by a kind of touch / input boost). In latest versions of the ondemand governor, I've also seen an "input_boost" option, so I think the difference is even less clear now.

For a proper benchmark which will be more consistent and easily reproducible across your firmwares and kernels, set everything to performance (i.e. CPU and GPU governors), and disable any battery saving and thermal throttle options in the kernel (beware your phone will get HOT during the testing, avoid repeating it too many times in a row or in a hot weather, or don't do it at all if you don't want to take the risk!). That's how some people get some very high numbers, if not by OC'ing the CPU.

And smoothness and lags are almost all about the governor choice and its fine tuning. For instance, I can't get a totally smooth scroll in some apps with ondemand or intellidemand, even after tweaking the settings; however, with smartassv2 and lagfree, everything is very smooth and battery is also good.

Sadman Khan

Feb 1, 2012
Last time I checked, stock kernel was by default using the interactive governor, but AFAIK it's the same as ondemand, except that it jumps to higher frequencies more agressively when the user is interacting with the phone (mostly by a kind of touch / input boost). In latest versions of the ondemand governor, I've also seen an "input_boost" option, so I think the difference is even less clear now.

For a proper benchmark which will be more consistent and easily reproducible across your firmwares and kernels, set everything to performance (i.e. CPU and GPU governors), and disable any battery saving and thermal throttle options in the kernel (beware your phone will get HOT during the testing, avoid repeating it too many times in a row or in a hot weather, or don't do it at all if you don't want to take the risk!). That's how some people get some very high numbers, if not by OC'ing the CPU.

And smoothness and lags are almost all about the governor choice and its fine tuning. For instance, I can't get a totally smooth scroll in some apps with ondemand or intellidemand, even after tweaking the settings; however, with smartassv2 and lagfree, everything is very smooth and battery is also good.

Stock kernel uses Ondemand governor by default. It can be changed to interactive/powersave/conservative i think if i remember properly

diji1

Aug 26, 2006
Adelaide, SA

Ah cheers for that info and I'll start doing that on the benchmarks I do. (CPU benchmarks in particular are all over the place presumably due to governors)

That's interesting because it's been a while since I looked at the descriptions of what governors do but I seem to recall ondemand (to put it very simply) ramps up speed very quickly and basically gives high priority to performance over others.

Sadman Khan

Feb 1, 2012
Interactive is faster than ondemand at the expense of battery life as it ramps up the cpu frequency faster

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's what i feel with v15 on .757 firmware

It's more stable. Most users are getting random reboots on v16. I experienced them too and so i settled on v15. Works perfectly :)