ICS GENERAL- For discussion on the ICS update

Search This thread

Dante Vergil

May 11, 2012
Corrupted World
Hi there mobile community station..!

I ve finally flashed ics after bricked my arc..
but dont like it because as you guess slower than gingerbread..

Now trying to flash iberian version what is called about faster than this..

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

and the story of bricking is following..

Ingredients
1.Flastool 7.0.0.0 ...ok
2.ARC with xxx.0.42 2.3.4 gingerbread on it ...ok
3.LT18_4.1.A.0.562_NCB.ftf ...ok
4.Windows 7 SP1 x64 ...maybe the base problem this OS
5.Location:US and Language :British ...ok

and flashed than got the TRIANGLE...:confused:

Because no final verification box not thicked..
WHY ?
Because there was no "No final verification option" there...

so someone could figure out the problem..?

then i used my friends laptop XP on it for flashing..
on xp That NoFinal Verification appeared on XP although I used the files..

FAdrums

Apr 14, 2012
First of all: if you want to flash the Iberian version why do you say. NCB? :what: :confused:

About you problem try connecting your device and use SEUS and it should reparei it! I've done that in a similar situation! ;)

Sent from my LT18i using XDA

Last edited:

Dante Vergil

May 11, 2012
Corrupted World
First of all: if you want to flash the Iberian version why do you say. NCB? :what: :confused:

Because firstly I flashed NCB version..but it was slower than 2.3.4
then I searched and found that iberian rumours is faster than NCB..

but I also flashed that LT18i_4.1.A.0.562_Iberia.ftf after NCB but doesnt recognize any change...

and finally i ve changed my mind to get back to 2.3.4 and made a new thread
questioning how to do so? u can check it out
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25975686

Wobba-Lee

Nov 30, 2009
I installed ICS a few weeks back by flashing the nordic rom then doing a full wipe and upgrade with the SE update tool. I have had zero issues, after rooting and removing bloatware. I dont play games on phone I have my Transformer for that so not an issue to me. Phone is running beautifully I would even say for me a more pleasant experience than GB.

Only two quibbles I do have though that I have browsed through most threads in this forum and cant find a mention to them.

On GB I used the swipe unlock and then pattern unlock. Mainly due to the swipe unlock screen showing more information ie such as missed calls, text messages etc. But this ability appears to be removed in the ICS update, I would even further like this as they have added the slide camera start meaning by the time I enter the pattern unlock the camera should have loaded. Is there a mod or something I am doing wrong?

Second issue is on GB I had my phone to not automatically mount the SD when connected to PC as the can be annoying as I might be playing music/spotify through phone plugged into speakers if I plug in to charge or restart my computer the SD mounts stopping my music and I need to go through and start it again. I just cant find the setting in ICS to do this.

Thanks for any help on these issues.

death_meet

Mar 20, 2009
I bought the Arc S in India 2 days ago with ICS out of the box. I found some minor and one major problem. The minor problems include laggy and sometimes unresponsive software, the phone app takes a lot of time to launch, and once or twice the screen froze with an incoming call, and I couldn't pick it up. I guess a firmware update would fix these. But the major problem I am facing is with the camera. It takes fine pics when all settings are in AUTO mode. But, whenever I change it from AUTO to NORMAL, I see a green tinged circle at the center of the picture, even while it is being taken (i.e. on screen), and circular tinges on the 4 corners. On more investigation, I found it to be a problem with the White Balance setting. Whatever I set for White Balance, I face this problem. However, everything is fine if White Balance is set to AUTO. I don't know whether this is a hardware problem with my unit, as if it were, the AUTO mode would also show the same tinge. Anybody else have this problem? I'm a little apprehensive of taking this down to the service center, as SE service is horrible, and they will totally wreck the phone cosmetically. Any ideas? Please help.

I'm attaching a couple of pics to demonstrate the problem. The upper one is in AUTO mode, the lower one in NORMAL Mode, with sunny day white balance setting.

pic_in_auto_mode-34284606.jpg

pic_in_normal_mode-15015084.jpg

shantusingh

Mar 15, 2009
New Delhi, IN
ok i take back my words from sony... ics is awesome and not bad !!

Pros :

i was on gingerbread 2.3.4 .62 version i reseted my phone using factory data reset. Then i Installed .62 my country generic using flash tools. Then without signing in google or even activating wi-fi i straight away updated via Sony PC Companion to ICS . As it got updated i took out the battery, sd card, and even sim card for few seconds like 20-30 seconds. Then inserted all back in and its unbelievably good than the previous time i installed ics. Maybe sony can't say to us that after installing new ics then take out battery,sim,sd card and insert it again... so please do it once guys it may surely show u the difference! if you are already on ics just do factory data reset and repair your phone via sus or PC Companion after backing up ur data and then take out ur battery n stuff n insert it back and then see it should definately show u improvement!

i hav installed many apps, games, etc and its still very smooth, dialer even opens very fast 1-2 sec it takes time but as u click it forces itself to show it wants to open as fast as it can on ics.

the more i installed apps it didn't slowed down!!

picking up call was very smooth really, no lag/glitch atall .!!

video plays smooth and perfectly fine .. love the task bar, browser is nice too!

note* i did removed junk apps from sys/apps (i did it before and that time i didn't felt any much difference as it lagged, but this time it massively improved by doing this)

great hardware acceleration... install's apps fast, opens them quickly and smoothly.. love it now!! No wi-fi issues ..

i feel clarity/screen of phone looks gr8,better and smater on ics

cons:

Still cons are there that yes framerate has been dropped as i used Quadrant Standard test and earlier on gingerbread it showed me in somewhere 3d/2d benchmark about 49-52 fps, now it shows maximum 40-42 fps and nowhere more than this.

when moving from any main page screen to another main screen page it rarely but does lags which would be nice if it gets fixed if a new update be provided .... same happens in the in menu icon pages, and when pressed the menu button it lags rarely and then opens the menu mayb tries to show smoothness but lags instead. I am just on transition animation .5x and windows animation also on .5x

really these cons can be managed and ignored as they rarely show little lag..

So in the end i am now going to stick to ICS and not going back atall ..

cheers!!

Last edited:

Thalk

May 21, 2010
Official ICS firmware for Xperia Arc

Does anyone know when the official ICS firmware for Arc (not Arc S) will be released?

frankie99969

Sep 16, 2010
London
from what ive read it needs to be 4.0.4 for that, hopefully thats the reason why were getting it later, why i have no idea but its the only reason i think is acceptable

montgot

May 17, 2012
Guys have bricked the wife's arc, I used the wrong flash tool that did not skip validation. Turning on phone all I get is the Sony then xperia logos repeating themselves PC companion is not picking up the phone and flash tool will not allow me to re flash any ideas ?

Ingredients
1.Flastool 7.0.0.0 ... I used the earlier verision

kidicarus1602

Oct 8, 2011
Guys have bricked the wife's arc, I used the wrong flash tool that did not skip validation. Turning on phone all I get is the Sony then xperia logos repeating themselves PC companion is not picking up the phone and flash tool will not allow me to re flash any ideas ?

Ingredients
1.Flastool 7.0.0.0 ... I used the earlier verision

Search for SEUS (Sony Ericcson Update Suite) and use that to repair it

panicc.co

Jul 16, 2011
Hey all,

Thought I'd throw in my list of errors.

Details:

Xperia arc Lt15i

Original Nordic release for the lt18i
I have removed all of the bloat ware, 3d cam, live wallpapers, email, radio, media, f book, infinite view, all Xperia games,... Etc...

No issues with the flash.

Update positives:
Phone operates much faster on less
Ram.
Themes and ics features are grate.

Bugs so far:

80% of weather apps including original does not update or will freeze on open or add widget.

Notification bar clock gets out of sync only way to fix is restart.

1 in 5 reboot/shutdown will result in lost apn info. Upon searching for service providers it fails repeatedly and apn will not manually save. To fix you must restart.

Screen sliding is a little slow but Turing off Sony hd setting helps this.

Phone,contacts,dialer is super slow, no fix I have found.

WiFi card seems to be repeating every 45-47 packet sent to the router causing my high security settings to drop and reset connection.

Play store uses a whack load of battery life.

Gemini task manager cannot kill all.
Force close of play is needed to close.

Final thoughts:

I am very happy with the results I have gotten from the install of iCs on my arc. There a few issues that have come from this, most of witch have quick fixes and others like games and apps I believe is the apps them self not yet updated for ics. I will most surely update as the proper releases come out.

Sent from my LT15i using XDA

moolash

Mar 10, 2009
OTA

Thanks. I flashed the Arc S ICS firmware on my Arc (Lt15a) and it worked very well in the beggining. But after sometime it got really slow, so I gave up and went back to 2.3.4.
I hope the official firmware for Arc wont have those problems.

Will this arrive for a 3.0.x ROM via OTA or do I have to update to 4.0.x.x062 or so before?
And also, I have root but locked bootloader, so an .ftf flashed ROM now. Can I just apply the OTA then?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    can i flash my ARC with Official ICS update for ARC S?

Yes,you can follow the following post : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24825196&postcount=103
    Press Thanks if i helped :)
    Worth keeping the direction...

So we are "lucky" to have another ICS update, after the first let-down experience with ICS.

I upgraded my phone yesterday. Well actually not upgraded, but installed from scratch a fresh new ICS, because I never had good experience with upgrading over existing ROM.

So, what is the impression...

After the first booting, everything seemed the same as before. Laggy home screen scrolling, laggy app drawer, the same user interface. But then some positive things started to happen. After few minutes and after some things settled in memory, system started to feel much more sleek and responsive than before.
    First thing to notice is that Phone/Contacts app is not laggy anymore, and it doesn't take few seconds to load as before. It's a shame that this terrible bug was ever present in the first place (in an OFFICIAL software), but given the circumstances, we must praise the fixing of this terrible bug.
    Second thing to notice, is that Camera app feels sleeker than before, and that video recording is not laggy anymore. But I should add that with image stabiliser turned on, you may experience some weird "jumps" if you move across the scene. So unless you're recording a still scene, don't use it. Camera picture quality is nice when you look at photos zoomed out, but when you zoom to 100% you will notice the same compression artifacts as on GB. Using 3rd party camera apps may improve results (Camera Zoom FX or Camera 360), but don't expect too much.*
    Talking about pictures, the third thing to notice is that gallery (Xperia gallery, not the other Gallery) feels faster than last time, and it is loading pictures, even when you have a lot of them, very fast.
    Regarding the LED notification, I see people reporting it still doesn't work properly with WhatsApp, but since I'm not using that app, I can say it's working fine with missed calls and messages, and that's all I need.***
    One more nice thing I noticed, is option "Reject with message" on incoming calls, which appears in the bottom of the screen. I'm not sure was it present in the last update, but I didn't notice it back then. I needed this option a thousands of times before, so thumbs up for this one.
    Browsing seems as fast as on GB, Play Store as well, and all other apps are tolerable regarding speed.
    Wireless seems stable till this moment also...**
    Battery seems to drain a little bit faster than on GB, but it's tolerable. I fully charged it last night on 23:15 and I left wireless and Music player turned on till this morning (unintentionaly - I sleeped with earphones). Also, I was intensively browsing last night while listening music, and this morning as well. And now my battery shows 35% of charge (14:05).

*Update 1:
    After some additional testing during the day, I can say that Camera app is definitely improved, regarding picture quality. Compression is not as bad as on GB, and tiny details are much clearer now, especially in low light scenes and macro focus. Also, photos size (not resolution-wise, but megabyte-wise) are almost doubled now (about 60-70% to be precise).

**Update 2:
    After 2 days of testing, I can say that wireless is improved compared to GB, regarding network catching speed, and connection speed. Browser (Dolphin) is now loading and rendering pages much faster compared to GB. Also, I haven't lost connection even once in these two days, and it was happening occasionally on GB, in the middle of page loading.

***Update 3:
    For some weird reason, there IS LED notification for some messages, and there is NO LED notification for others (even from the same sender).

So, to conclude. Compared to last ICS update, this one seems much more polished, complete, functional. Few bugfixes are there, and it doesn't feel as crippled, half-finished product, as it was last time.
    If you saw my impression on last update, you could see that I was extremely disapointed, and that I switched to GB immediately. This time, even I still think that GB is much more functional, I think this update is worth keeping, for anyone who wants to have a fresh and up-to-date software. You will have a little bit choppier experience compared to GB, but tolerably functional and fresh software.
    It is your choice...

Note: DO NOT update OfficeSuite app, as you will be offered to do so immediately after the first Play Store launch, along with other 7 apps. The other ones you can update as you wish, but for some reason, when you update OfficeSuite, the system starts to hang terribly. Maybe it's something individual, but in my case it was like that.

Cheers...
    Guys, I've been reading all the reactions to the new ICS update and, I have to say, I am a bit puzzled.

Here is why:

Almost every Arc (LT15) owner went ahead and flashed the update.

Now, just because your phones did not explode, it doesn't mean that it is OK that you flashed a firmware released for another model.

Sure, Arc and Arc S look very much alike on paper, but if they were exactly the same phone, they would also share the name, thus there wouldn't be an Arc S.

Furthermore, if the ICS update for the Arc S was suitable for the Arc too, why wouldn't Sony just say so, instead of having to deal with a flood of complaints from impatient Arc owners? And it is not like "they do it for marketing purposes because they want to sell their newest models", as by now all 2011 models are considered more or less 'out of date'.

So, what I am trying to say is that while admittedly there are bugs in the new ICS firmware (I've came across some myself), it is impossible to keep track of them since Arc owners are spamming the threads. I mean no offence to anyone, but this situation going on helps nobody in the end.

My suggestion is, someone open a new thread about ICS on LT15, where it would be easier to discuss on the bugs and shortcomings and just leave the rest of the discussions to the LT18 owners. After all, the official Arc update is just around the corner. And this place is enough of a mess as is. Let's try to make it a little tidier, for everyone's sake. :)

Just my 2 cents.
    videocamera is l lilbit laggy
    soundquality in videocamera is very low!
    battery drains fast!
    I have an Arc S and I do face the problems in Temple Run and other games as mentioned in the previous posts.

Bear in mind that due to the massive changes ICS introduced to Android,
    there are still many, many apps that are not fully optimised.
    I keep reading about people facing problems in Temple Run, but, for example, the games I play (Angry Birds, Cut The Rope, Dream Heights, etc) work just fine.
    On the other hand Sygic Navigation, while it works, has many graphical glitches and the developers have already announced that they'll be updating it to accomodate the new Android version.
    So, has any of the gazillion people complaining about Temple Run contacted the developer to get a definite answer on whether there are known problems with ICS devices?
    I swear if I see another Temple Run bug post, I'm going to SNAP like a twig, like a twig! :D :D :D :p