[KERNEL] vta2-kernel for Nexus S Jelly Bean #130

Search This thread

krfoy

Feb 11, 2010
yea, well, with stock kernel (and thalamus and matr1x and air kernel) everything runs fine, but i wanted to know, if there is a way to find out what exactly causes the problem with your kernel and my phone (which also might help somebody else). - raising the vol does not help that much, still some freezes from time to time (even though i'm above stock vols).

sorry, i mean stock rom

did you ever try to raise up your interval voltage?

FYI, here is the voltage sets from stock kernel of Infuse 4G (but it runs 1.2GHz):

clock / arm / int
1200 / 1300 / 1125
800 / 1200 / 1100
400 / 1050 / 1100
200 / 1000 / 1100
100 / 950 / 1100

Last edited:

mattrc77

Aug 15, 2010
Guys can you use rom manager to install a kernel like this on a Nexus S GT-I9020A, and how do you uninstall a kernel just back up a rom before install?

Last edited:

siddhesh.raikar

Jun 9, 2012
Mumbai
Guys can you use rom manager to install a kernel like this on a Nexus S GT-I9020A, and how do you uninstall a kernel just back up a rom before install?

to install a custom kernel you should have custom recovery...

and you cant uninstall a kernel, you have to restore the boot image from the backup you have...

so back up first... then install a custom kernel....

mattrc77

Aug 15, 2010
OK im using set cpu with the kernel that clocked my phone at max 1240 i tried to bring the max down to 800 to bring down the heat when gaming but as soon as i slide to 800 it crashes. lines start running down the screen and it just reboots.

Reactions: krfoy

jenda.69

Nov 23, 2007
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
It works almost fine, but I tried playing Dead Trigger and Speedx 3D and in both phone froze and rebooted after few minutes of gameplay.

Last edited:

krfoy

Feb 11, 2010
OK im using set cpu with the kernel that clocked my phone at max 1240 i tried to bring the max down to 800 to bring down the heat when gaming but as soon as i slide to 800 it crashes. lines start running down the screen and it just reboots.

Thanks for reporting.

Same issue on stock kernel. i'll try to resolve it.

krfoy

Feb 11, 2010

OK, it would be fixed in the next release! :)

Reactions: al_madd

Nexus HAL

Aug 5, 2011
No 100mhz?

Why the minimum CPU frequency can't be set to 100mhz? When setting it to 100 via NStools, it instantly reverts back to 200mhz. CPU Spy confirms the 100mhz slot isn't being used at all. Seen same issue with Air Kernel too. Is it a Jellybean bug? I'm on stock ROM.

stojshic

Aug 14, 2010
Bela Crkva - Serbia
Xiaomi Poco F1
Why the minimum CPU frequency can't be set to 100mhz? When setting it to 100 via NStools, it instantly reverts back to 200mhz. CPU Spy confirms the 100mhz slot isn't being used at all. Seen same issue with Air Kernel too. Is it a Jellybean bug? I'm on stock ROM.

It's known NSTools bug. Don't use NSTools, or, in settings, put min to 400Mhz,then back to 100Mhz (do that few times until it shows 100Mhz, and don't open NSTools again. If you open it again, you'll have to do that all over again...

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Nexus HAL

krfoy

Feb 11, 2010

It's known NSTools bug. Don't use NSTools, or, in settings, put min to 400Mhz,then back to 100Mhz (do that few times until it shows 100Mhz, and don't open NSTools again. If you open it again, you'll have to do that all over again...

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

it's not a bug. this kernel including a mod which set min freq to 200MHz while GPU is busy. to make sure GPU can work on full speed when necessary.

by the way, this mod may be removed in the next release. because it seems cause some stability issues.

B

bedalus

Download http://d-h.st/wVZ

It's a small download. It's some very simple tools that can split an existing boot image into a ramdisk and zImage, and can also stitch them back up.

There is a tool called unbootimg, that can take apart existing boot.img files, I've made things simple by including my own ramdisk, which is compatible with AOSP and CM ROMs. That file is called cyan2disk_new.cpio.gz

To stitch your zImage and ramdisk together:
Code:
./mkbootimg --kernel zImage --ramdisk cyan2disk_new.cpio.gz --cmdline 'no_console_suspend=1 console=bull's --base 0x30000000 --pagesize 4096 -o boot.img

The zImage of your kernel needs to be in the directory with cyan2disk_new.cpio.gz

Let me know if you get stuck. And please give credit to Krarvind, for making MTP possible.

Last edited:

humayooshah

Jun 21, 2012
Karachi
just a question .. i am using Slimbean 2.0 with bedalus kernel.. is this kernel faster than bedalus and is it compatible with slimbean 2.0?

krfoy

Feb 11, 2010
Kernel update! #50

comparing with #37:
  • touch boost on SmartassV2! (like interactive)
  • interactive built-in
  • Deep Idle has been removed (due to stability)
  • MTP support (thanks to Krarvind and bedalus!)

Main post of #50

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I built this kernel for my daily use, now i decided to share it here! :)

Work with Nexus World Wide Version (i9023/i9020t).

※ Basically it is made for Official Stock ROM (JRO03E/JZO54K). it may NOT work with other ROMs.

Not working with CyanogenMod!

Main features of this kernel:
    • 1.25GHz
    • Based on Linux Kernel 3.0.73
    • Based on AOSP
    • Touchwake ADVANCED (allowing you wake up your phone by touching screen when you got a notification ) (based on Ezekeel's work)
    • 10-point multitouch
    • Force AC charging by chad0989
    • UKSM (Ultra Kernel Samepage Merging)
    • MTP (thanks to bedalus and Krarvind!)
    • High Bigmem
    • BLN by Ezekeel
    • BLD by Ezekeel
    • Powerkey Presses Counter
    • init.d support
    • Optimized CRC32 algorithm
    • SLUB
    • Custom Voltage by Ezekeel
    • mount dalvik-cache to /cache
    • undervolted
    • RCU Boost
    • Voodoo by supercurio
    • included busybox
    • USB OTG v5 by sztupy Read this. (not sure if this work on Jelly Bean)
    • CRT-off animation fix from CyanogenMod team.
    • PM_FAST

Default: interactive / sio

Thanks to all contributors of this kernel! :)
    And welcome to fork it on my github.

Download vta2-kernel / Changelog

TODO:
    • Bluetooth battery drain fix.
    • ROW I/O scheduler ( kernel module )

Any Suggestion? Tell me here :)
    #58 is here.

Changelog:
    • Touchwake Advanced: Now you can wake up your phone with touchwake after a sound play back or vibrating (e.g. when you've got a notification)
    • Add powerkey presses counter

About powerkey presses counter usage:
    cat /sys/class/misc/touchwake/counter

And reset counter by:
    echo reset > /sys/class/misc/touchwake/counter

vta2-kernel #58 main post
    Wow, this Kernel is perfect on Slim ROM! Thanks!
    => Can you include a 1000Mhz step for saving battery in the future?

Including 1000MHz step should not save more battery. If there are both 1248 and 1000, smartassV2 will prefer to use 1248 to do things faster (when busy), and prefer to use 800 or below to save more power (when idle). It's inspired by SAMSUNG Infuse 4G which use the same SoC (Hummingbird) and also don't have 1000MHz step. :)