queries

Search This thread
Jun 15, 2012
Hello guys .. i have samsung galaxy nexus . Stock handset. Never been rooted
I want to root my nexus for first time so i have some confusions in my mind which i want to clarify so that rooting goes smooth
Question : rooting erased all the prvious data and apps. I have heard there are some apps which bakup the game and software as well as the other mobile content. Please suggest Some good backup app

Question: i have 4.1.1 currently on device. Does it mean after root only 4.1.1 roms will work on my handset

neerajvd

Jan 8, 2013
Welcome to the Nexus club ;)
Here are the answers to your question;

Data Wipe:
Rooting erases all the previous data and apps? NO. The process of rooting only provides you with root access. (But dont be so happy yet :eek:)
As I see, you have a stock Nexus. So before Rooting, you have to do a process called Unlocking. And Unlocking wipes EVERYTHING.

Once rooted and unlocked, when you flash switch ROM's you have to do a clean flash. This removes Apps. But preserves app data and sdcard contents.

Backup:
For backup of data, I'd recommend go for individual apps. The below are my personal favorites for backups:
For app backup, use ES File explorer (It only backs up free app, and no data backup)
For SMS and log backup, use SMS Backup & Restore and Call Logs Backup & Restore by Ritesh Sahu
Contacts and calendar and mails will anyways be synced with google account.

Do all the backups and copy these contents to your PC and then proceed with the Unlocking and Rooting.

Once Rooted, you can use Titanium Backup or ROM Toolbox for data and app backup.

Android Version
i have 4.1.1 currently on device. Does it mean after root only 4.1.1 roms will work on my handset. NO
When I bought my GNex, i was on 4.1.1 too. Currently I am on 4,2.2 ROM's :)

Hope this helps.
All the best.

Regards,
Neeraj

Jun 15, 2012
Thanks for the reply.
I have recently updated to 4.1.1 OTA and notices the battery of my mobile phone is draining quite quickly.
I am thinking to root the device and update it to 4.2.2 (i think its latest available).
Is it possible ? Where to find software to update ?

Jun 15, 2012
Once i have downloaded the rom
I have to unlock bootloader, root the device and then flash 4.2.2 on the device. Is it right ?
And when i will flash custom roms on device it will replace the stock 4.2.2 ?

neob.abragil

Oct 9, 2012
Kolkata
far streona

Once i have downloaded the rom
I have to unlock bootloader, root the device and then flash 4.2.2 on the device. Is it right ?
And when i will flash custom roms on device it will replace the stock 4.2.2 ?

yes & yes...
(& u don't have to root your device to flash this ROM) :)

please click on THANKS, if I have helped you...

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2012
I dnt have to root my device to update it to 4.2.2 ?
How to do that? Can u refer me some tutorial for that.
The only way i knew was to root the device and then update it.

neob.abragil

Oct 9, 2012
Kolkata
Reactions: santibiswasbdn
Jun 15, 2012
if i flash with any custom rom, will it overwrite the 4.1.1 and is there possibility that it will solve my battery drqain problem ?

Jun 15, 2012
I have seen different tutorials for updating galaxy nexus to 4.2.2. It says something like this

"In order to do the update your device needs to be running build JOP40D"
But when i saw my settings in the mobile, my built number appears to be
JRO03C.I9250JPLH2

Now whats the point here .. ?
how to update the device in this situation

Jun 15, 2012
the question here is that the build number of my device donot agree as given according to pre requistes of the process as per tutorials ..

Top Liked Posts