installing gapps on custom ROMS

Search This thread

ankuzero

Jun 26, 2013
When I first installed CM 11 M1 from stock kitkat, I didn't have the playstore, so I had to download the gapps package.

Ever since CM 11 M1, I've tried different custom roms, but everytime I flashed them from the custom recovery, they all came with the playstore.

Should I be installing the gapps from the package?? Or can I just install the apps from the playstore??

ph37rd

Oct 6, 2012
Either way works. From the play store you can pick and choose what you install and can be uninstalled without jumping through hoops because they install as user apps. When you flash gapps, they typically go in as system apps and are a bit more troublesome to get rid of if you don't want everything in the package.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

arffrhn

Mar 12, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Addition to what said above, just open the gapps package ade delete which ever apks you don't need. This way you can get rid of the apps you don't want to install as system app. To me, modular PA gapps or banks core gapps is enough. You don't need to flash full package gapps. :)

yak84

Dec 5, 2013
When I first installed CM 11 M1 from stock kitkat, I didn't have the playstore, so I had to download the gapps package.

Ever since CM 11 M1, I've tried different custom roms, but everytime I flashed them from the custom recovery, they all came with the playstore.

Should I be installing the gapps from the package?? Or can I just install the apps from the playstore??

This is because gapps has updater script and as long as you won't manually format system your previously installed gapps will remain in a new rom. (including play store)
Installing apps from gapps package via recovery will install the apps to system partition.
Installing apps from play store will install them to user data partition.
In order to save space in user data I recommend installing the gapps you need to system partition via recovery.

Last edited: