Control bluetooth headset volume? Sony HBH-IS800

Search This thread

Fnortner

Oct 21, 2009
I just paired a Sony bluetooth headset (HBH-IS800) with my Tilt 2 and the volume is quite loud when listening to music. I put media player sound volume down to 5%, apparently the lowest, and it's still very loud. The only other option at that point is going down to 0%, obviously too quiet :-|

Also, the main system volume slider on the side - no effect on the headset whatsoever. Whether it's maxed out or silent - the bluetooth headset is still too loud.

Does anyone have any recommendations on:

1) How to go between <5% and >0% volume on media player?

2) How to get the main volume control to affect the bluetooth headset volume?

3) Any other ideas on lowering the music volume overall? Maybe another (better?) music player could work? Maybe a reg setting I can modify?

Any advice is appreciated - the headset is so cool - I'd love to make it usable!!! - TIA!

-Fnortner

P.S. - I called Sony - their answer: "We don't support the headset unless it's paired with a Sony phone". Boo Sony!

bill340

Aug 16, 2007
I have the same problem with this headset.
I had it running on the Touch HD with volume control from the device works perfectly.
Is there any solution yet?

redjessie

Dec 28, 2007
same volume control issue with BT8040

With both Media Player or PocketTunes, I am not able to alter the volume on the BT8040, either from the Tilt2, or the earpiece itself.
Never had this problem with the same earpiece and my original Tilt.

neojav123

May 12, 2008
Same problem here

I have the same problem. I have a bluetooth set which I connect to FM transmiter. The problem is: Volume is all the way up so the music is horrible, it gets distorted. I'd like to know how to manage the bluetooth volume in the system settings, is there a way? Pushing the left buttons (system volume) wont affect bluetooth volume, neither any other volume control within the settings. Any help appreciated.:(

dahauss

Jul 20, 2008
I have a bluetooth stereo headset and when I pair it it tells me that I can not control the volume from the phone.. any way to fix??

sirphunkee

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 15, 2009
Austin, TX
If anyone came up with a solution for this that works native to the ROM (vs just adjusting the eq) post it here, and I'll do the same.

I have a stereo BT headset, and whenever I pair it with my (tmo US) TP2, the phone throws up a standard "you have to adjust the volume from the headset, can't do it from the handset" warning...and when I do use the volume controls on the headset, the volume does adjust accordingly, but without any feedback from the phone (no volume slider or other indication), so the adjustment is obviously happening in the headset's circuitry, and the audio coming from the phone is at a static, un-adjustable level.

From the research I've done, the culprit is the sub-par Widcomm bluetooth stack in the phone, and I haven't yet found anyone who has engineered a replacement stack. I know the possibility exists (I upgraded the bluetooth stack on my Wizard a couple of years ago to get one that had the A2DP profile), but I just don't think anybody has made a replacement for this model yet :(

Last edited:
I have a stereo BT headset, and whenever I pair it with my (tmo US) TP2, the phone throws up a standard "you have to adjust the volume from the headset, can't do it from the handset" warning...and when I do use the volume controls on the headset, the volume does adjust accordingly, but without any feedback from the phone (no volume slider or other indication), so the adjustment is obviously happening in the headset's circuitry, and the audio coming from the phone is at a static, un-adjustable level.

Thanks for the reply! My situation is backwards in the sense that the headset doesn't have volume controls - and what I seem to be finding is that there doesn't seem to be an immediate fix for controlling a headset from the phone. I did use a tool called "Advanced Config" to find a default music volume that I can change, so I lowered that from 100 to 50 and now the volume is at least comfortable. However I have no control over it yet....

jonto

Jul 21, 2009
Could these issues be due to USB 2.0 versus USB 2.1 ?

I got a Motorola H17 (USB 2.1) and everything works perfect. Have volumn control from phone and headset and all audio sources work fine.

sirphunkee

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 15, 2009
Austin, TX
Thanks for the reply! My situation is backwards in the sense that the headset doesn't have volume controls - and what I seem to be finding is that there doesn't seem to be an immediate fix for controlling a headset from the phone. I did use a tool called "Advanced Config" to find a default music volume that I can change, so I lowered that from 100 to 50 and now the volume is at least comfortable. However I have no control over it yet....

Yes, for some reason, the BT stack in this phone seems to assume that all BT stereo headsets also have built-in controls on them and won't allow them to adjust system volume. I think we're probably stuck with that fact until somebody finds a BT stack to replace the TP2's native one.

The best workaround for now may be just to find and use a headset that does have volume controls. I'll be posting a review soon of the ones I have now, the Plantronics/Altec Lansing Backbeat 903's :cool:

sirphunkee

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 15, 2009
Austin, TX
Could these issues be due to USB 2.0 versus USB 2.1 ?

I got a Motorola H17 (USB 2.1) and everything works perfect. Have volumn control from phone and headset and all audio sources work fine.

So when you play music through it, you can control the volume on the handset itself, and with controls on the headset? If so, I'm guessing it's because that's a monaural (not stereo) headset, so it may not be the same volume. My headset has BT 2.1 on it, and while I can control the playback etc on the phone, the volume controls only adjust the headset volume, not the volume on the phone.

jonto

Jul 21, 2009
So when you play music through it, you can control the volume on the handset itself, and with controls on the headset? If so, I'm guessing it's because that's a monaural (not stereo) headset, so it may not be the same volume. My headset has BT 2.1 on it, and while I can control the playback etc on the phone, the volume controls only adjust the headset volume, not the volume on the phone.

This may be true since it is only monaural. The volume control (on the phone) still controls the phone (thus the headset) while the BT control only controls the BT headset.

ichtus

Dec 18, 2008
This may be true since it is only monaural. The volume control (on the phone) still controls the phone (thus the headset) while the BT control only controls the BT headset.
Good evening,
If it can help you with tcpmp-0. 72RC1 - GF5500Edition - Alpha4. 1 can adjust the volume of this famous helmet HBH-IS800 and it is easier than with nitrogene.
Good evening

Ichtus

ultraprimeomega

Oct 31, 2006
Texas
if its is supported by only sony phones(BB storm too) then can we get the profile from a xperia and install it on another device

technomike

Jul 30, 2006
Littleton
I have seen multiple people state they can adjust the volume both on their headset and on the handset asystem volume. I thought perhaps it was the BT stack EXCEPT I was able to do this as well before I did a hard reset now I cannot adjust the 2 volume controls independently. The handset volume is static. Will someone that can adjust the system volume with a headset compare settings/egistry entries with me?

ultraprimeomega

Oct 31, 2006
Texas
Is there a way we can adjust the volume of the line out from the bluetooth connection, anyone, lately ive have noticed that most devices are doing this, dont want to revert to a old stack but there has to be a way to combine the headset volume with the bluetooth volume