Is magldr really dangerous for HD2?

Search This thread

davinci2007

Jan 28, 2009
Bavaria
Sorry for the Question but it magldr really dangerous for HD2?

I know that writing a dirty code in the Radio Rom onthefly.
I think it was a code of HTC Desire.

But what is when i go back to hspl 2.08.0000?
Then isn't possible to write a dirty code in the Radio ROM.
Or not?
It´s only an Idea.

iba21

Jul 1, 2010
Venice
Sorry for the Question but it magldr really dangerous for HD2?

I know that writing a dirty code in the Radio Rom onthefly.
I think it was a code of HTC Desire.

But what is when i go back to hspl 2.08.0000?
Then isn't possible to write a dirty code in the Radio ROM.
Or not?
It´s only an Idea.

yep sure, it will burn your car :D

Magldr simply is an OS witch can load other OS.. it has his kernel etc etc.. So, you could unplug cable when phone is flashing magldr, it's only a "copy" of the data into NAND SD

you can't unplug cable when you're flashing ROM RADIO, and SPL, in that case phone freezes, and, i think it's definitely dead, or you can try to reput SPL files in ROM memory via htc's serial cable, sure, not with USB cable

So, Magldr is the same as Windows Mobile, you install it by using the same method, by HSPL, as you do with Windows Mobile, and, if you unplug cable when you're uploading original Windows Mobile, phone will boot in SPL, but not in WM (because you don't have files in the NAND ROM)

i hope you'll understand what's the difference between OS and SPL.. thus.. what is magldr

But why have many users problems with magldr?
Not with clk. I dont know why.
That makes everyone insecure.

who has problems?
the only issue in 1.13 is the charging mode, you can't charge phone when it's offiine, magldr freezes and (in 1.13 reboots, in 1.12 freeze phone), i think it happens because magldr doesen't have the right "libreries" witch can "load" the charging process, if you see, in all phones, when you plug the carging cable, phone will load something.. in nokia, phones boots and you see the charging icon in the screen, in htc phone boots and you see the led indicator, so, in chargin mode, phone's hardware is on, it's 'configuring' the right way to charge battery (that's not so simply)

other issues? i have WP7, and i didn't have problems with all WP7 rom i tryed, with android roms too, i think you could have a broken HD2, or a tmobile version (you have to upgrade the certify android tmobile version rom).. if you can't flash android or wp7 roms by magldr, i think you don't have the right driver in windows, so windows (pc) can't talk with hd2

if you have problems, write here

Last edited:

davinci2007

Jan 28, 2009
Bavaria
Thats magldr brick hd2 because a dirty code for activated rmnet.
Dirty code from hd desire and this maybe on the fly write this in the Radio ROM.

iba21

Jul 1, 2010
Venice
This is not a statement on my part but I've read about this and i am now unsure.

maybe they have a brocken hd2, or a driver conflict in windows (pc)

if you can flash wm6.5 roms with hspl 2.08 you can load magldr. if you don't have hspl 2.08 you can't load hspl (and cooked roms)

i think users has problems, not phones

iba21

Jul 1, 2010
Venice
Dirty code from hd desire and this maybe on the fly write this in the Radio ROM.

:confused:

where do you read this?

i never ever heard it

i reflashed magldr for about 30 times.. no one problem.. and i'm using it by the first 1.10 version

EDIT: maybe that users downloads magldr not in this forum, and maybe someone modifies magldr.nbh files with an haked radio witch has the malware

Last edited:

davinci2007

Jan 28, 2009
Bavaria
Cotulla has open my eyes and now i see the world clearer. :D
He is very cool. Thanks Master Cotulla.

Maybe he write down the facts about magldr and clk.
No danger of both.

There were just rumors.

Last edited:

Ty5982

Jan 25, 2011
Manchester
ive had my hd2 for nearly 18 months and was new to all this lol
i remember the days when i had android on my sd card and everytime u rebooted,it went back to windows mobile lol. then 1 day i saw on youtube a lad puttin a cyanogen mod rom on via cwm and magldr.........I WET MYSELF lol and av never looked back. yeh,i **** myself 1st time cos i to worried about brickin my phone. but all U AV TO DO is follow all the instructions EXACTLY as they say and u won't brick ur phone.your best and safest option is to search rootin hd2 on youtube,download all there files in the link and also most videos show them doin it,so follow it step by step,pausin the video as u go along(makes it easier) then ur laughin,u need any help inbox me and i'll even find u the video/person i watched and learned from,magldr is spot on,then u'll step up to cwm lol,i av cos its abit more straight forward,u just put the file on ur sd card and install via cwm,it extracts and installs for u,simple............hope this convinces u lol

davinci2007

Jan 28, 2009
Bavaria
I have no problem with flashing but another users have many problems and also 2-4-8 Weeks/Month after flashing. 3 reboots and.....crash...nothing more.
And now? What is the reason? No Hardreset...nothing help...Upsssss....:eek:

Ty5982

Jan 25, 2011
Manchester
giv it a try,then reep u rewards

Sent from my SENSATIONIZED HTC HD2 Pyramid via magldr 1.13 using XDA Premium App

davinci2007

Jan 28, 2009
Bavaria
And now? Silent!

No dirty code in magldr?

Originally Posted by

Well, yes, at some point Cotulla loaded a desire radio in the hd2. And yes, the main problem he faced is how to do it easily. At the end, he did some black magic to load part of the desire radio in current magldr to make rmnet works, but I think we won't have more than this.

Haaaa.....Explanation please.......:D

Last edited:

kypeth

Two things, I understand your awareness of the sudden influx of bad block information, but dear God man please use some contextual syntax so that people better understand you. One sentence or phrase that fully describes your thoughts in your opinion isn't necessarily the proper way to communicate clearly to other people.

Bad blocks people, OP is talking about bad blocks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I will post my official answer here:
    (some parts of text are from private talk with davinci2007)

Possible reasons of issues:

1)Errors in HTC code (they are also people and they can make errors / buggy code)
    After two years, phone become a bit different. Nobody knows at the developing stage what issues can appear after X months of usage.

2)Hardware failures. Temperature and etc. NAND chip located near CPU and I think it got all hot from it too. Often high load may be source of problems.

3)MAGLDR issue.
    I am not idiot (at least I am think so :D ) and I never wanted to lost my device too.
    So I make MAGLDR as safe as possible. More about it below.

4)OS issues. Issues caused by using different Operating Systems. (Android, WP7, WM65)

5)Usage issue. (Users do wrong actions with device: over clocking, removing USB cable at flashing and etc)

About MAGLDR safety:

It never modify any data on NAND before SPL and SPL. Because modifying any data there is very dangerous.
    As well MAGLDR never mark any blocks as bad! Bad blocks are only marked by Radio, SPL and Operating Systems (like WP7 WM65 Android).

The next thing: CPU contains inside device called MPU (Memory Protection Unit) which designed to limit access to NAND memory.
    MPU disallow to modify any data before SPL and SPL too (it was a primary problem with HSPL development however, if you still remember old good days ;) ).

So I don't see how MAGLDR can cause this issues.

Some answers:

no offense, pls! and also no flamewar between clk / magldr or the persons which programmed it, of course. but the "onthefly desire radio details" were found in clk thread, there are two more posts, which are causing "strange thougths" for some people:
    I don't offend anybody, but it's only personal opinions of some people :)
    They heard some words from me, without knowledge about other things :)
    I am working with LEO almost 2 years already and seems know it as my five fingers :D

As well cLK also can cause issues. who tells that it can't?
    I am not against cLK, but I don't like when somebody starts holywar.
    I respect cedesmith and even helped him with some stuffs for cLK before ;)

Well, I can't read German language, but Google translate helps me a bit.
    I respect those people who repair devices, it's hard job, but they have not deep knowledge about LEO.
    For example they said that last 24mb used for badblock replacing, but it's not true - they are used in WM65 as EXTROM for storing Facebook files (used inside FacebookSDK.dll somehow :eek: ) and for faster WM65 boot (caching).
    And some words there tells "I do not know yet exactly where the errors are possibly".

I have no problem with flashing but another users have many problems and also 2-4-8 Weeks/Month after flashing. 3 reboots and.....crash...nothing more.
    And now? What is the reason? No Hardreset...nothing help...Upsssss....
    Please examples?

btw, I remember some people had Radio RSA fail errors _before_ MAGLDR release. isn't it?
    we can look to forum history:

21st August 2010, 08:44 AM:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=760906

15th May 2010, 01:53 PM
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=682047

14th January 2010, 01:48 PM
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=614630&page=2

14th January 2010, 06:09 PM
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=618084

All this threads was started before MAGLDR release. Much more other examples, you can find via Google :)
    So it means that this problem not caused by MAGLDR and it's initial issue with (some?) LEO devices?

Maybe most users, who install MAGLDR, they are experienced users and they flash new stuffs everyday? it cause big load to NAND and destroys it faster.

Well, other facts: some my MAGLDR testers are using MAGLDR for year now on LEO and their devices are still alive.
    My device also alive from the beginning - from HSPL development :)

My personal opinion: this issues caused by 1)wrong user actions 2)bad quality of components 3)bad design (HTC, overhot and etc)

At the end I will say the next thing:

I am interesting to improve my hobby projects and look at this problems, if somebody can provide more information.
    Dumps from killed devices, ability to test something on such killed device and etc.
    Cotulla, for how many time do you think to upgrade this magldr? HD2 is an old phone, and it isn't immortal, so, there will be a time when peoples put it in the box

I have no plans to move to other device for now.
    Because I know LEO very good, so it's good device for the next projects and I hope RAM size will be still enough.
    As well new device are more complex and to find right ways there may need time ;)
    Other thing that LEO community is very large, there only two types of LEO. Not like with other devices :)
    my 2 cents

Hi.
    Please keep in mind that things i remember may not be 100% accurate and i did not look at the forums reporting the problem and/or calculate block addresses on nand to see if they fall in last 24mb or nand.

CLK has a feature to dump spl log, i made that to see why spl erases last 24mb of nand. From what i remember from watching that logs the following happen:
    - spl erases last 24mb on every cold boot and after flashing (boot reason 1).
    - when someone flashes something(bootloader, rom, radio, or any other nbh) radio is copied to last 24mb nand as backup probably to be able to recover in case something happens during radio write. I assume if bad blocks in last 24mb flash stops and that is causing bricks. HTC probably never expected bad blocks in that region because is not used a lot.

Blaming magldr rmnet code for that is silly, probably last 24mb was used as cache in android causing a erase/write on every reboot and quickly wearing nand blocks. Wear on cache will be far greater then the one on system or data since spl erase also erases yaffs wear leveling data.

If there are reports of this problem only on magldr is probably because you can not (as far as i know) use last 24mb as cache with clk. Now remember spl will erase that memory on clk too but i am guessing (because wear endurance is in write cycles) that erasing a erased block will cause less wear (or maybe none?).

If you are scared by this and if you would ask me i would recommend using magldr with option use last 24mb active so spl will not erase them on each boot and with a rom that not use last 24mb.
    No, it's not dangerous :p
    People need to understand that this a 2 year old phone, and in normal conditions it will already be in a box, apart from that we ( Leo users) are flashaholics :eek:) we take this phone to the extreme, so It's quite normal that some weird problems start to appear.. the HD2 is a hell of a phone, but only because we had/have wonderful devs with us, they did what never had been done, and we are so grateful.. back to topic..
    But if you are afraid of harm your Leo, just do what I did, buy another one as spare :eek:)
    That's the beauty of this beast, its not only the best (smart)phone ever, its the cheapest of the top devices :eek:)

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App