[Q] I have not yet accepted the OTA on my rooted 4.1.2. What should I do next?

Search This thread

uiryan

Feb 16, 2013
I have a rooted SCH-I535 running stock 4.1.2. I am still getting OTA update notices every five minutes and it is time to move on to 4.3. What has has been your experience out there? My goals are:
1) to keep root, and
2) run 4.3 stock and have the option to play around with 4.4 ROMs.

Should I OTA to 4.3 then root? From what I have read, it may not be possible to flash custom ROM's this way. Can I get 4.3 ROMs and 4.4 ROMs another way? What is the best method from a rooted 4.1.2?

Thanks from an noob.

Ryan

joekiv

Mar 19, 2013
Yonkers, NY
I have a rooted SCH-I535 running stock 4.1.2. I am still getting OTA update notices every five minutes and it is time to move on to 4.3. What has has been your experience out there? My goals are:
1) to keep root, and

Should I OTA to 4.3 then root? From what I have read, it may not be possible to flash custom ROM's this way. Can I get 4.3 ROMs and 4.4 ROMs another way? What is the best method from a rooted 4.1.2?

Thanks from an noob.

Ryan

If you take the OTA 4.3 update your boot loader will be locked and you will not be able to do anything that you said. If you have Titanium Pro use it to freeze "SDM 1.0" that will stop the update nags. If you want to go to 4. 3 you will find a rooted, stock 4.3 rom with an unlocked boot loader developed and posted by "Old&Slow" at this thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2591895

Reactions: uiryan

uiryan

Feb 16, 2013
If you take the OTA 4.3 update your boot loader will be locked and you will not be able to do anything that you said. If you have Titanium Pro use it to freeze "SDM 1.0" that will stop the update nags. If you want to go to 4. 3 you will find a rooted, stock 4.3 rom with an unlocked boot loader developed and posted by "Old&Slow" at this thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2591895

Huge thanks for the SDM freeze tip. That was my primary nuisance. It worked perfectly.I followed the link you provided. The ROM seems to be a bit buggy. Are a lot of you staying with 4.1.2? I like the idea of cloud printing and a few other updates, but I don't know if I want to risk my flash going off every time my phone rings. Can anyone recommend a good 4.4 ROM that can be flashed from my current state?

In general, the 4.4 ROM's are going to be a little more "buggy" when compared to a custom TW 4.3 ROM. From my understanding of this it's due to the devs being able to use the official OTA as a base and just customize it. I've ran both and prefer the custom TW 4.3 ROMs. To each their own however.

If you want to stay as close as OTA as possible, scrosler has posted a 4.3 ROM on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III Android Development thread. It's titled, "[ROM][1/27/14] - Stock Rooted Knoxless - VRUCML1 - Android 4.3 - Stay Classy XDA!". I'd link you but don't have that ability yet on the forum.

Wh1t3Rose

In general, the 4.4 ROM's are going to be a little more "buggy" when compared to a custom TW 4.3 ROM. From my understanding of this it's due to the devs being able to use the official OTA as a base and just customize it. I've ran both and prefer the custom TW 4.3 ROMs. To each their own however.

If you want to stay as close as OTA as possible, scrosler has posted a 4.3 ROM on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III Android Development thread. It's titled, "[ROM][1/27/14] - Stock Rooted Knoxless - VRUCML1 - Android 4.3 - Stay Classy XDA!". I'd link you but don't have that ability yet on the forum.

Hey just you know 4.4 ROMS do not use the OTA as a base. The OTA is 4.3 first of all. 2nd its Touchwiz. 4.4 ROMs are AOSP only. Not Touchwiz. Now 4.4 ROMs just like any AOSP ROM use the Stock AOSP source code from Google as a Base (stock AOSP like on a Nexus) and then merge in device specific proprietary drivers after. They are buggy at first especially the modem/radio because we have to reverse engineer those proprietary drivers from Samsung to work on AOSP. Blame Samsung for not releasing source code for the modem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Hey just you know 4.4 ROMS do not use the OTA as a base. The OTA is 4.3 first of all. 2nd its Touchwiz. 4.4 ROMs are AOSP only. Not Touchwiz. Now 4.4 ROMs just like any AOSP ROM use the Stock AOSP source code from Google as a Base (stock AOSP like on a Nexus) and then merge in device specific proprietary drivers after. They are buggy at first especially the modem/radio because we have to reverse engineer those proprietary drivers from Samsung to work on AOSP. Blame Samsung for not releasing source code for the modem.

That's what I meant. Sorry, wasn't clear in my post. I wasn't saying 4.4 ROMs use the OTA. I understand how they are built on AOSP. I was trying to say 4.3 ROMs have less problems (usually) because the devs have the OTAs to work with. For the most part anyway (I've read about the kernel problems on VZ 4.3). Thanks for clarifying. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1) to keep root, and

Thanks from an noob.

Ryan

That's what I meant. Sorry, wasn't clear in my post. I wasn't saying 4.4 ROMs use the OTA. I understand how they are built on AOSP. I was trying to say 4.3 ROMs have less problems (usually) because the devs have the OTAs to work with. For the most part anyway (I've read about the kernel problems on VZ 4.3). Thanks for clarifying. :)