ATT Galaxy S2 keeps rebooting, need help pros

Search This thread

tiflyer2

Jun 5, 2014
This is stock not rooted phone. A couple of days ago I turned it off and turned it back on but it keeps getting to the galaxy SII black logo screen and reboots. Its an endless cycle. It never gets past that. I have spent the last two days looking for solutions online. One suggested solution that made sense was a stuck power button, but that wasn't it for me. I took the phone apart cleaned the button, its not stuck. Problem is still there. My main concern is the data on the phone storage. I did not back it up. I can't access it via usb since it doesnt fully boot up. What could be the issue? Thanks for the help.

cyril279

Jun 3, 2013
...stock, not rooted. This means that we definitely don't have adb access.

when you say "data on the phone storage" do you mean photos and media? Those items are stored on a separate partition and are more easily salvageable.

App data will be a tougher project.

This is stock not rooted phone. A couple of days ago I turned it off and turned it back on but it keeps getting to the galaxy SII black logo screen and reboots. Its an endless cycle. It never gets past that. I have spent the last two days looking for solutions online. One suggested solution that made sense was a stuck power button, but that wasn't it for me. I took the phone apart cleaned the button, its not stuck. Problem is still there. My main concern is the data on the phone storage. I did not back it up. I can't access it via usb since it doesnt fully boot up. What could be the issue? Thanks for the help.

tiflyer2

Jun 5, 2014

when you say "data on the phone storage" do you mean photos and media? Those items are stored on a separate partition and are more easily salvageable.

yes photos and media, call recordings, txt message history, phone book. I didn't backup any of it. Is it possible for me to wipe and replace the operating system without affecting the data? Am noobish in this area

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
yes photos and media, call recordings, txt message history, phone book. I didn't backup any of it. Is it possible for me to wipe and replace the operating system without affecting the data? Am noobish in this area

You will lose anything in the data partition, which includes text messages and your phone book. You will not lose pictures or media or recording that are saved to the internal sdcard (USB memory). I know your photos are safe, but I'm not sure about any other media or call recordings. It all depends on whether they are stored on the internal sdcard or in the data partition.

I don't know of any way to save anything in the data partition at this point, unless the phone miraculously boots into the current system.

You should may be able to recover the phone by reinstalling the stock firmware. Maybe not if there was some type of hardware issue. The best way to find out is to try to reinstall and see what happens.

tiflyer2

Jun 5, 2014
You will lose anything in the data partition, which includes text messages and your phone book. You will not lose pictures or media or recording that are saved to the internal sdcard (USB memory). I know your photos are safe, but I'm not sure about any other media or call recordings. It all depends on whether they are stored on the internal sdcard or in the data partition.

I don't know of any way to save anything in the data partition at this point, unless the phone miraculously boots into the current system.

You should may be able to recover the phone by reinstalling the stock firmware. Maybe not if there was some type of hardware issue. The best way to find out is to try to reinstall and see what happens.

Thanks. How can i install stock firmware? Kies is not detecting the phone connection since it doesn't boot all the way. I can get in to ODIN mode and the install from sd card menu. Where can I download the stock firmware and how can I install it?

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
Thanks. How can i install stock firmware? Kies is not detecting the phone connection since it doesn't boot all the way. I can get in to ODIN mode and the install from sd card menu. Where can I download the stock firmware and how can I install it?

Install the stock firmware using Odin3 v1.85 (preferred). Install the latest stock firmware, I777UCMD8, which you can get from the download repository. It's the next to bottom item. If you need to download Odin, there is a link near the top of the page.

How to use stand-alone Odin3 to flash firmware:

Follow and recheck each of the following steps. Do them in order listed, as some steps are dependent on previous steps. Instructions are for Odin3 v1.85. It should work with any version of Odin, but some details, like color of items, may be different.

1.) Open Odin on the Windows Desktop.
2.) Have the USB cable plugged into USB port on the computer, but *Not* plugged in to the phone.
3.) Shut the phone off.
4.) While holding down the vol+ & vol- keys, plug micro-usb plug into phone.
5.) In Odin, you should get the yellow box under where it says ID:COM with the text 0:[COMx], and in the Message area, <ID:0/00x> Added!! where x is some number, usually 1-8.
6.) In Odin, make sure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked and all other items are not checked.
7.) Click on the PDA button. Browse to the tar file you want to install and select it so its path appears in the text edit box next to the button.
8.) Make sure the check box next to the PDA button is checked.
9.) Click the Start button.
10.) You should see the green progress bar advancing.
11.) When complete, you will get a PASS code (or an error code if unsuccessful).

tiflyer2

Jun 5, 2014
Install the stock firmware using Odin3 v1.85 (preferred). Install the latest stock firmware, I777UCMD8, which you can get from the download repository. It's the next to bottom item. If you need to download Odin, there is a link near the top of the page.

Follow and recheck each of the following steps. Do them in order listed, as some steps are dependent on previous steps. Instructions are for Odin3 v1.85. It should work with any version of Odin, but some details, like color of items, may be different.

2.) Have the USB cable plugged into USB port on the computer, but *Not* plugged in to the phone.
3.) Shut the phone off.
5.) In Odin, you should get the yellow box under where it says ID:COM with the text 0:[COMx], and in the Message area, <ID:0/00x> Added!! where x is some number, usually 1-8.
6.) In Odin, make sure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked and all other items are not checked.
7.) Click on the PDA button. Browse to the tar file you want to install and select it so its path appears in the text edit box next to the button.
11.) When complete, you will get a PASS code (or an error code if unsuccessful).

Wow, thank you very much. Not only do I still have every file I needed, the operating system was upgraded to the latest firmware. Very nice! Donated to you. Thanks.

Reactions: SteveMurphy

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
Wow, thank you very much. Not only do I still have every file I needed, the operating system was upgraded to the latest firmware. Very nice! Donated to you. Thanks.

Thank you very much!

After flashing the stock firmware, assuming all goes well and you get a pass, your phone still may not boot. In that case, turn the phone off, boot into stock recovery by holding all three buttons of pwr vol+ and vol-. Once in stock recovery, perform a wipe data/factory reset.

tiflyer2

Jun 5, 2014
Thank you very much!

After flashing the stock firmware, assuming all goes well and you get a pass, your phone still may not boot. In that case, turn the phone off, boot into stock recovery by holding all three buttons of pwr vol+ and vol-. Once in stock recovery, perform a wipe data/factory reset.

Wait I am confused...the phone has booted up and everything is okay. it even remembered my window unlock passcode. The only thing different is that the operating system was upgraded. Are you saying it might not boot up if I turn it off and turn it on again?

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
No. I was suggesting that the phone might not boot initially after flashing the stock rom. In that case it would be necessary to wipe in order to get it to boot the first time. On re-reading your post #7 I see that the phone was already booted at the time I wrote that, and that what I said was irrelevant.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveMurphy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

3.) Shut the phone off.

Thank you very much!

3.) Shut the phone off.